General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike upgrade time... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-19 12:54 PM

User image

Subject: Bike upgrade time...
Anyone have any thoughts on what a very large Clydesdale should look for in a new bike? I currently have a Trek Hybrid and its nice and everything, but I think I'm ready to step up to maybe a road or tri bike. Though which one.... I am around 350 on a good day, losing weight, slowly and surely. In the meantime though, what should I look for in a bike? Carbon, alloy, super re-inforced solid steel? Any thoughts on brands/models that work for big guys. I'm also tall...6'4". I am planning to go in for a proper bike fitting, but I'd like to have some idea on what other Clyde's think before I go see the sub 180lb bike experts in our area.

Thanks guys!

2013-08-19 1:11 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Bike upgrade time...
I'm 6'3" and down to 285, but at one point I was bigger than you and am still riding the same bike today as I was before I lost any weight. It's an alloy framed Giant and has held up fairly well, all things considered. The biggest issue I had was with the stock wheelset - I essentially destroyed the rear wheel. I ended up having my LBS build me a 36 spoke Mavic OpenPro on a 105 hub which seems to be almost indestructible. Were I you, I would plan on a beefier rear wheel, possibly even a front wheel.

Also, I plan to buy a new road bike in the next 6 months and I'm not sure I feel comfortable with a carbon frame at 285lbs (well, I hope to be down closer to 250 or less by the time I'm ready to buy). From what I've been able to find, some companies specify a weight limit, some don't. My personal opinion for guys our size is that any weight savings from a carbon frame is more than offset by our excess bulk - so I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost. Again, that's just my opinion. All other things being equal, I think I'd buy an alloy frame and spend the savings from a carbon frame on stronger wheels and/or better components.

Edited by BigG 2013-08-19 1:16 PM
2013-08-19 2:58 PM
in reply to: BigG

User image

First...congrats on the weight lose, you give me hope. I hadn't even considered the wheels. That is such a great point. I know my LBS is a Giant dealer so perhaps I'll take a look at those alloys, with some beefy rims as you put it. Thanks for the advice!
2013-08-19 3:08 PM
in reply to: BigG

User image

Originally posted by BigG

Also, I plan to buy a new road bike in the next 6 months and I'm not sure I feel comfortable with a carbon frame at 285lbs (well, I hope to be down closer to 250 or less by the time I'm ready to buy). From what I've been able to find, some companies specify a weight limit, some don't. My personal opinion for guys our size is that any weight savings from a carbon frame is more than offset by our excess bulk - so I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost. Again, that's just my opinion. All other things being equal, I think I'd buy an alloy frame and spend the savings from a carbon frame on stronger wheels and/or better components.

Far closer to a newbie than an expert...But...

Cervelo does not have a weight limit on their carbon frames. They say any limits would be based on specific components but not they do not impose a limit on their bikes.

I bought a Cervelo S5 at about 310 lbs...I only have about 1500 miles on it so far and am now down closer to 235 lbs so I can't say long term what it would do, but through one season of heavy weight riding it has done well. LBS went back and forth depending on who I talked to on beefier wheels but we ended up leaving them stock and they are still fine also even with Vermont's really bad roads.

As for the weight savings...I agree with you...We clydes have way more benefit to be gained by losing engine weight than bike weight. However what swayed me to the carbon frame was the stiffness of it allowing me to feel like I was putting power down to the road better. I rode a couple of aluminum frame bikes and it seemed to me that the responsiveness of the carbon frames was better. I will admit that might be all mental and I have no data to back it.
2013-08-19 7:34 PM
in reply to: 0

That's good to know, 1200rsvt. Cannondale is another manufacturer who doesn't specify a weight limit for their carbon frames. I haven't looked at Cervelo as an options, but maybe I'll check them out too.

I think Trek and/or Specialized specify a weight limit for their carbon frames, but I can't remember.

And as for my wheels, in fairness I did buy a very cheap, entry level road bike, and I'm sure the stock wheels weren't the greatest to begin with. Had I spent more $$ up front on the bike, maybe the wheels would have held up better. I rode the stock wheels for about 2 years of casual riding but once I got serious and started putting on bigger miles, the rear wheel just couldn't cut it. At one point I actually broke a spoke off on a descent that lodged in the back of my calf. Not fun. Still running the original front wheel though, and it seems to be ok.

To the OP, I would definitely stop in and talk to the folks who seem knowledgeable at your LBS.

Edited by BigG 2013-08-19 7:36 PM
2013-08-22 7:13 AM
in reply to: bakerstreet

As others have said, wheelset is probably the most important factor. My first bike was a Fuji road bike with stock wheels and I was ~275 lbs when I started in the sport in 2002. I roached the rearwheel to the point where it could no longer be tuned. Over my career I had 5 bikes, and down to my last which I am trying to sell. My screenname is short for Retired From Tris, 4 kids with sports and school doesn't leave much time to train. I have been an active member of other forums for many years and joined BT this morning so I could list my bike for sale. I am also 6'4" and have a 60cm that I will list as soon as I can post in the Classifieds, it might be something of interest to you. It is a 2004 Quintana Roo Caliente. If you are interested in more details let me know, I plan to list it for $500. It's a beautiful bike in tremendous shape, always LBS maintained, sadly she just sits and looks at me, she needs to be out riding. She carried me through 4 IMs, 7 1/2 IMs and countless Olys, sprints, and duathlons. She has many more in her.

2013-08-23 2:29 PM
in reply to: RFT

One more vote for beefing up the back wheel. My pickup got rear-ended in about 2004, and being from Idaho I know there's no point in repairing cosmetic damage. Best decision of my life was to take a big chunk of the insurance money and buy a bike. Big fat hybrid bike. My original goal was to bike a marathon, and it took training all summer to get there. By October, I did 26.2, followed by a 30. But, still being around 410 lbs, I found I was breaking spokes and couldn't stand having the bike in the shop for days at a time.

I'm still doing things on the cheap, but I've spent some bucks on two things - a triple-wall, extra-spoke back wheel, and a top-notch seat. The super-heavy back wheel keeps the bike out of the shop, and the seat keeps my non-tri exercise going smoothly. The day might come when I get a road bike, but I plan to wear this one out first.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike upgrade time... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Its crunch time... well past crunch time

Started by Henry28
Views: 1448 Posts: 13

2013-04-09 12:58 PM Shoeless

Mountain bike pedals on road bikes

Started by funbuddy
Views: 3204 Posts: 10

2011-10-14 1:19 PM RockTractor

15mile bike times

Started by BAD@SSFord
Views: 9896 Posts: 23

2009-12-14 10:27 AM rebersole2

Intro bike and when to upgrade?

Started by sriney
Views: 2023 Posts: 11

2009-07-08 7:49 PM Pector55

Wheels Upgrade

Started by gmj
Views: 1685 Posts: 7

2009-04-24 8:46 AM Rudedog55
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : May 25, 2009
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Coach AJ
So when it comes to triathlon, the largest investment we make, in both terms, comes in the bike. Looking at ways to get faster, while considering a budget, is a bind for most triathletes.