General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Plan to follow to avoid injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-19 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Best Plan to follow to avoid injury
Here's the situation - I have decided to race Rev 3 Cedar Point next September and would like to get some advice on which plan to follow with the goals of 1) avoiding injury during training and 2) finishing.

I know I have plenty of time but I've been bitten by the injury bug (PF, ITB, disc issues) and I want to do things differently with the hopes of avoiding injury. I've always been a dive right into it and hope for the best but I'm hoping that better planning on my part will help me. Just so you know, I'm a teacher on sabbatical next year so I can't afford a coach.

I've been looking at Be Iron Fit and the free program on this site. Which program should I go with that will allow me to avoid injury (I'm leaning toward BIF because of the reduced milage).

Thoughts? Any suggestions would be fantastic.

Many thanks!

2013-08-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Subject: RE: Best Plan to follow to avoid injury
Whichever plan you choose, make sure you perform lots of strength, mobility, and flexibility work. That's an often overlooked tool for injury prevention
2013-08-20 10:04 AM
in reply to: ipull400watts

User image

Expert
Thanks for the reply. Great advice. Since you were kind enough to reply - let me clarify with the hopes of getting some more suggestions. What I am really looking for is a plan that emphasizes injury prevention. I am pissed at myself because it feels like I am starting back at square 1. I know I can do the distance - I just need a plan that will help me avoid bonehead training mistakes.

Thanks again for the advice.
2013-08-20 12:18 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Well the thing is there is no one best plan for everyone...which is why there are so many plans.  If you ahve been prone ot injury I would suggest getting evaluated by a sports med professional or a physical therapist to see where you have weaknesses you can inprove on and then incoorporate that in to a triathlon training schedule.  A coach would probably be healpful too. Takes the planning off your plate and they can work with your stregths and weaknesses as well
2013-08-20 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by Qua17

Thanks for the reply. Great advice. Since you were kind enough to reply - let me clarify with the hopes of getting some more suggestions. What I am really looking for is a plan that emphasizes injury prevention. I am pissed at myself because it feels like I am starting back at square 1. I know I can do the distance - I just need a plan that will help me avoid bonehead training mistakes.

Thanks again for the advice.

Here's what I have done with one of my clients...

One of my ladies right now training for IMFL has an extra bone in her foot (which she discovered because she got injured while training back in Feb/March). So her training can't involve a lot of running, and the running she does can't be speed or tempo work.

So for her training I have her doing a fair amount of swimming (3 days a week 3,000-4,000 yards each time), a lot biking (3 months out I already have her doing 80-100 mile rides), and minimal running. Her running is a 4 min run, 1 min walk. I am upping her overall run volume 10% per week, with a 30%-40% reduction during her recovery weeks. Each long run is upped by 10% as well. For example, one week she has a 10 mile run, the next week 11 miles.

Being an athlete who gets injured pretty easily running, I have figured out ways to help prevent injuries but to still train for the distance.

In the past I have also trained an athlete (Veronica) who went from zero (came to me coming off a running injury), to Half Ironman in 6 months. Another athlete of mine was training for IMTX and got an IT band injury while training (he decided to switch to new shoes for a 10 mile run and did off road/hills- which I advised against) for it. We figured out a way to get him through his IM training and still get his run miles in there.

My athlete Jeff was injured in 2012, and couldn't train effectively for a marathon due to his injury. He started with me in Jan 2013 to train for IMLP and we got him through the training with no injuries and at his peak he was at 28-30 miles a week in training.

Here is where you can read some information on them: http://athletemaker.com/my-athletes/

What's the point? To brag? No. To say that with proper training you can stay injury free or train around an injury. But is that going to be a "off the self" plan? Probably not. A coach will create a plan based around what your body can and cannot handle and if you do get injured can modify things accordingly so you can keep training.

2013-08-20 12:57 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Pro
CyFair

You sir sound like a perfect candidate for the dreaded aqua jogging.  Whomp whomp.

Seriously there is no box plan that fits anyone let alone someone in your situation.  Pick a plan, follow the plan, and adjust based on your body's feedback.  Or you can go the coach route.

2013-08-21 7:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

1. Eat nutritious foods. Fuel your body before and after all workouts. Take vitamins if needed.

2. Get plenty of sleep and rest

3. Decrease as much of your life stress as possible (work, family)

4. Find a good training plan or coach

5. Know when to listen to your body and to rest

6. Practice daily preventative measures such as yoga, trigger point therapy, massage, ART

7. Make sure that you are adequately prepared to take on the distance. Be consistent in your training

8. Check your ego at the door. Don't train with people who will talk you into doing something stupid. Don't try to keep up with other people's training. 

9. Don't change your running or cycling shoes if they are working

10. Have your support system on board 110%.  This is not directly related to remaining injury free but it will keep harmony in the house which will decrease a lot of life stress.

You can try to control as many variables as possible but things happen. First IM, I stopped running in the dark the month before the race. That way I couldn't trip on a rock in the road when running in the dark. I was able to race that year without injury.

Second race, I accidentally kicked a Diet Dr. Pepper case nine days before IMFL and broke my toe. Needless to say I did not race that  year. You do the best that you can and accept what happens.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-08-21 7:20 PM
2013-08-23 7:57 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Expert
I just want to thank you all again. These are great suggestions!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Plan to follow to avoid injury Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training plans- How close to follow?

Started by Oldteen
Views: 1603 Posts: 4

2011-06-13 1:09 PM Oldteen

Best beginner trainting plans?

Started by mrcurtain
Views: 5662 Posts: 16

2012-01-24 9:01 AM moreland007

Training but avoiding / dealing with injury

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 818 Posts: 2

2009-02-02 12:37 PM JohnnyKay

Know any good IM training plans

Started by GulfCoastSwimmer
Views: 1047 Posts: 3

2007-11-03 10:34 PM travisdotn

Looking for a Good 70.3 Training Plan

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1334 Posts: 4

2007-02-24 9:23 PM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
How recent studies can impact your training and nutrition strategies

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.

date : December 22, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
I only had 6 weeks to prepare, so I pushed myself pretty hard while I was training. After my first figure competition, my trainer had me take a week off just to rest and recoup. Was this needed?
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.