World Triathlon Corporation
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 00m 45s
Overall Rank = 46/606
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/47
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45, had my usual pre-race sweet potato with almond butter and a handfull of raisins/walnuts. Our hotel was within 5 minute walk from transition so got ready in the hotel and left at 5:45ish to drop off my special needs bags and head down to the swim start.
Swim
  • 1h 21m 7s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a good start for me! I had previously done a 1:12 at Lake Placid, so figured with another year of hard work I'd be at least close to that time. The wave start was pretty terrible. My wave was second to last, so got stuck behind and swimming around many older men. The waves were choppy, and sighting was terrible. I came out of the water feeling super discouraged with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure, Spent more time in the pool than the previous year but did worse. Need to really focus down on my faults in my form and work on those.
Transition 1
  • 09m 22s
Comments:

Long transition! The volunteers were understaffed, so didn't get a wetsuit peeler. Thankfully I was wearing a two piece and it was super fast to get off. Overall a pretty average transition.
Bike
  • 5h 58m 25s
  • 180 kms
  • 30.09 km/hr
Comments:

Bike was tough but fair. Started off the first loop getting comfortable, kept telling myself "No one ever says I wish I went harder on the first loop!" A bit chilly at first but warmed up and even got super warm on the second lap, especially climbing the steeper hills with an aero helmet. The out and back segment also had the winds pick up significantly the second time around and it felt like you were fighting them both directions. By the second lap just by evenly splitting I was making up a lot of ground. Ate 200-250 cals an hour, mostly gu and larabars. I ended up doing about what I expected split time wise on this segment.
Transition 2
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Pretty quick transition, nothing spectacular going on here. Only complaint was the volunteers were again understaffed so I didn't wait around for the few volunteers there at the sunscreen part to get sunscreened and was pretty sure I'd pay for that later.
Run
  • 3h 28m 41s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 04m 56s  min/km
Comments:

Run went surprisingly well. By the end of the bike I knew I might struggled with the heat in the run. The first 3k went by painfully slow out in the sun and uphill heading out of the village. However, as soon as I hit the packed trail my legs came back to me. Had 2 more of my remaining gus on the first lap and some endurolyte water, then switched to coke exclusively on the second lap. Felt pretty strong the whole way, and ended up only walking through the aid stations for a few seconds on the second lap to ensure I was getting the coke and water down because I knew dehydration would kill me in this race if I let it. There were plenty of sponges and ice available so I was pretty soaked and not too hot the entire race. The finish through the village was amazing with crowds lining the streets, running downhill into the finish on a red carpet.
Post race
Warm down:

Mostly frantically looking for my parents, them some combination of crying/eating.

Event comments:

Best venue I've ever seen for a race. I've seen it compared to LP, but Mont Tremblant definitely takes the cake. Beautiful course, everything is a very central location and it was expertly organized.

Last updated: 2013-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:21:07 | 3800 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/47
Overall: 0/606
Performance: Below average
Suit: Two piece sleeveless De Soto
Course: One lap, out, across for a little bit and then heading back direction into the direction of the sun.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:58:25 | 180 kms | 30.09 km/hr
Age Group: 12/47
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Two laps, first an out and back that was on a highway. Started off with a false flat for a ways then mostly little rollers. The last 15-20k of each loop was short steep rollers. Second time around the wind really picked up on the out and back loop and it started to get hot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:28:41 | 42.2 kms | 04m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 4/47
Performance: Good
Course: For the most part it was about 10k out and 10k back. The first 5-6 was on the road, in the sun in the heat, then you hit a packed gravel trail for the last 5k, do a U turn and come back. On the way back you take a slightly different turn and run through the village...then do the whole thing again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
, New York
Subject: Ironman Mont-Tremblant

2013-08-19 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4833741

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant
great race for you!

I know the wave start was tough to deal with. very narrow channel to get past the boats and then it was chaotic to deal with the slower swimmers in the earlier waves.

Great great job on the run. I wish I could've pulled off a better run, but it it was what it was..

2013-08-20 7:59 AM

User image

Regular
Good job.
2013-08-20 12:31 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Great race! Did you qualify for Kona?
2013-08-20 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Great job! Glad to hear you enjoyed the race - the wave start does sound frustrating but you overcame it and finished super strong! 
2013-08-23 4:53 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
t I was checking out your report as I am trying to figure out which race I should do next year. Congrats on grinding it out! Sounds like a great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by zaugfear
Views: 2566 Posts: 5

2012-08-28 6:44 AM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 7982 Posts: 48

2012-08-31 1:55 PM Socks

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rlejeune
Views: 3069 Posts: 7

2012-08-27 7:07 PM juniperjen

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rockymtnhigh
Views: 2570 Posts: 4

2012-08-21 6:42 PM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by axteraa
Views: 5097 Posts: 23

2013-01-02 7:46 PM justinfss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.