Age Group Rank = 45/48
Event warmup:

3 mile easy spin
Bike
  • 1h 50m
  • 7.7 miles
  • 4.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Epic experience! All that it is promoted as. Very well organized and extremely challenging.
What would you do differently?:

Gear my bike differently. I did not have 'enough' gear and was forced off the bike a few times due to extreme pain in lower back. 1:1 ratio necessary with small chainring up front and large ring in the back.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gearing

Last updated: 2013-07-10 12:00 AM
Biking
01:50:00 | 07.7 miles | 4.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 0/650
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 7.6 mile hill climb. ENTIRE course is uphill, no flat or down hill at all. 12% average with periods of 18% fairly regularly. 70 degrees at bottom of mountain, 42 degrees at the top w/ 32 degree wind chill.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 7:56 PM

User image

New user
Centreville
Subject: Mt. Washington Hill Climb

2013-08-19 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4833744

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Mt. Washington Hill Climb
Good work out there. I agree that it was an epic climb. Very steep entry fee, but it's such a unique experience that it's hard to put a price on it. I'm glad that I had a chance to do it this year, not sure when I'd get to do it again.

I agree with you that gearing is essential, and I was impressed by some of the home-grown setups that I saw out there. I was just about ok with 34x32, but would have appreciated 1:1 or better, especially if the wind had been stronger.

And like you I found that it was my back that was the most sore after the ride, not the legs.
2013-09-17 10:22 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

New user
Centreville

Sorry for the delayed response.  Awesome event.  I do hope to get back, hopefully even next year.  I just finished Savageman 1/2 this past weekend.  7 hours 27 minutes of pain.  Mt Washington enabled me to get the 'brick' as I climbed the Westernport wall, but both races have taught me that I have a lot more training to do.  Both were epic events.  Thanks again for your response.

2013-09-17 10:33 PM
in reply to: p_woodford

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by p_woodford

Sorry for the delayed response.  Awesome event.  I do hope to get back, hopefully even next year.  I just finished Savageman 1/2 this past weekend.  7 hours 27 minutes of pain.  Mt Washington enabled me to get the 'brick' as I climbed the Westernport wall, but both races have taught me that I have a lot more training to do.  Both were epic events.  Thanks again for your response.

A very nice combo, within the space of a month.

I rode Mt Washington this year in my Savageman jersey - it was my little show of defiance to the mountain.

Ok, so since it seems that you're a sucker for climbing, have you checked out Kyle Yost's other sadistic delight, the Garrett County Gran Fondo? It's a bike ride that makes Savageman look tame.
2013-09-17 10:45 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

New user
Centreville
No, but I will look into it.  Admittedly, I knew nothing about Mt Washington until a month after signing up for it. A friend had mentioned it to me.  I really have not ridden outside of triathlon over the last 6 years.  I saw how much work I need after doing Savage and am considering focusing more on the bike next season, so I will look into the event you mentioned as well as "Mountains of Misery" here in Virginia. 
2013-09-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: p_woodford

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Congrats!

Didn't see this when you first posted, but that is one BEAST of a ride (just one hill, right?).

Awesome.

Matt

2013-09-22 10:44 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

New user
Centreville

one BIG BEAST - I am not much of a cyclist beyond triathlon, and realize just how under prepared I was going into it.  I thought for sure there would be the occasionally flat on Mt Washington, but I thought wrong.  NO REPRIEVE, EVER.  Awesome event!  I intend to go back and would encourage you to try do it some time.  

To those that pick up this thread and responded earlier:

Now that I have completed it, I can answer my own question.  I ended up with a 34 compact up front and a 28 in the back. While many would have had a better time with my same gearing, it was a struggle.  My back was in pain the majority of the ride as a result and I had to dismount 3 times to stretch it out.  I intend to go back, better prepared physically but also with my equipment.  Not sure of the gearing, but I needed more.  

I paid close attention to the other riders and the majority were on road bikes with MTB gearing.  Many appeared to have set-ups specifically for this one ride with only one small chain ring up front, large cages in the back with "dinner-plate" sized cassettes!  

The rule of thumb that I had heard, was to get as close to a 1:1 ratio as you can.  I would say that is good advice.  If you're bike shop tells you that you will not be able to shift to the other gears, tell them not to worry about it.  I used my 2 easiest the entire way...

I'll be back and I hope who ever reads this thread will give it serious consideration.  Btw, I had a mediocre showing at one of the toughest 1/2 Iron's a month later, SavageMan.  I got up the Westernport wall and earned the brick because of Mt Washington...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mt. Washington Hill Climb Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mt Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hill Climb

Started by colinphillips
Views: 2004 Posts: 5

2013-08-21 2:00 PM Jason N

Mt. Ashland Hill Climb

Started by owl_girl
Views: 1849 Posts: 8

2012-08-08 6:23 PM bswcpa

Mt. Tamalpais Hill Climb

Started by betyoursilver
Views: 953 Posts: 1

2006-09-17 9:42 AM betyoursilver

2006 Hogpen Hill Climb 17K

Started by FALLS-RUNNER
Views: 1677 Posts: 2

2006-02-25 3:32 PM norakraemer

Ride 542, Mount Baker Hill Climb

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1512 Posts: 7

2005-09-20 10:11 AM shanec_75
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...

date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?