Endurance Sports Management
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 52m 8s
Overall Rank = 110/219
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 9/15
Pre-race routine:

Got down to transition early to set everything up. Ate a few gels and drank some sport drink. Chatted with several friends that were racing.
Event warmup:

RD said the water temp (77.4 deg) was wetsuit legal. I don't own one but my friends (that had one) were excited. I went down to the water and swam about 100 (water felt fine)...probably should have done more warmup.
Swim
  • 30m 43s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first Olympic so I wasn't sure how to pace it. The first 400 didn't feel great (should have warmed up more than I did) but I got into a decent rhythm after that. There was a little banging around at the start and at a couple of buoys but nothing too bad. The sun peeked out on the last 200 and it was difficult to sight the finish but I made it in without a lot of zigging.
What would you do differently?:

I wished I had warmed up more and pressed the pace a bit. I need to swim some longer sets to see how I react. I've done a few 1.5 mile ows but I need to up the intensity.
Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

There's about a 250 yd up hill run from the swim exit to the bikes. I brought an extra pair of shoes down to the water to use for the run...probably cost me a few seconds but saved my feet.

Nothing other than maybe go sockless for the bike and run...would have saved a few secs in T1. T1 time was 6th out of 15.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 40s
  • 24 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

When I scouted the course I didn't think I would be able to ride it this well. I was pleasantly surprised with this split.

Get a tri bike with race wheels. I did the race on my 10 year old Giant OCR without aero bars. I did get a bike fit about 10 days before the race and I think that helped in my performance quite a bit.
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

Had a little GI issue here...needed a rest room break...cost me a couple of minutes.

Work on the pre-race nutrition.
Run
  • 1h 00m 3s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m  min/km
Comments:

I had a calf injury at the end of May and my run volume hasn't been great...it showed. The 1st mile went ok because it was flat to downhill. Miles 2-3 hurt a bit since there were some climbs involved. I walked the aide stations when I got something to drink. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the time. This was just my 2nd 10k..my first was an open 10k last year and I ran it just under 59 minutes. I wanted to finish under 3 hours for my 1st Oly so I was pleasantly surprised to do so.

Get the run volume up. I think I'm capable (barring injury) of getting this down into the low to mid 50 minute range if I just ramp up my mileage.
Post race
Warm down:

It started raining a bit during the run and really started after I finished. I walked around a bit, chatted with some friends, got something to eat and looked for some shelter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim...more volume and more experience with pacing the race distance.
Bike...no complaints given my limited experience (started cycling last fall)
Run...more volume with fewer nagging injuries that limit training.

Event comments:

I don't have a lot of experience but I liked the venue and I think the RD does a nice job on this relatively small local race. Everything went according to schedule. The goody bag included a nice tee shirt, a pair of socks and a drawstring bag.

Last updated: 2013-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:43 | 1500 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 121/219
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Pretty close to a rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:40 | 24 miles | 19.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 59/219
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Map my ride and my Garmin indicated it was right at 24 miles...lots of rollers and some long steady climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:03 | 10 kms | 06m  min/km
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 138/219
Course: RD described it as a lollipop. Beautiful course. Park road for the 1st mile, miles 2-5 were a pathway that ran through the forest or along the lake. It had some moderate hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 8:08 PM

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: Tri Fall Creek Falls Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Fall Creek Falls Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Fall Creek Falls Triathlon

Started by crusty
Views: 858 Posts: 1

2012-08-21 4:21 PM crusty

Started by scubavol
Views: 1059 Posts: 2

2012-08-21 4:26 PM crusty

Started by CRunner10
Views: 1755 Posts: 2

2010-08-17 2:19 PM Leegoocrap

Fall Creek Falls Triathlon

Started by crusty
Views: 2379 Posts: 1

2006-08-25 9:55 PM crusty

Fall Creek Falls Triathlon

Started by TerryW
Views: 1867 Posts: 1

2006-08-22 12:47 PM TerryW
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
Top tips from triathletes on finding your way back to training

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.