General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First-timer; Recovery time from fractured ankle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-20 10:56 AM

User image

Subject: First-timer; Recovery time from fractured ankle?
Hi everyone -

I just finished my first sprint triathlon and really have the tri-bug. Unfortunately, a month and a half ago, before my tri, I went to have a chronically sore ankle checked and was told it was fractured. I had been training on it for 2 months already, completed a 10 miler (PR), 5 miler (PR) and 10K and was told by the doctor I could continue training for the tri as long as it didn't get worse. The pain was bearable and occasional, mostly noticeable during longer pavement runs, but now that the tri is over I want to do what I can to heal it up so I can go hard to prepare for next year.

My question to the group is, has anyone experienced something similar and what would you do to promote or speed up the healing process? I've already been supplementing with calcium and Vitamin D. Additionally, what time frame should I give it to heal before I start training hard again?

Thanks in advance!

2013-08-20 11:35 AM
in reply to: brian63

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: First-timer; Recovery time from fractured ankle?

Originally posted by brian63 Hi everyone - I just finished my first sprint triathlon and really have the tri-bug. Unfortunately, a month and a half ago, before my tri, I went to have a chronically sore ankle checked and was told it was fractured. I had been training on it for 2 months already, completed a 10 miler (PR), 5 miler (PR) and 10K and was told by the doctor I could continue training for the tri as long as it didn't get worse. The pain was bearable and occasional, mostly noticeable during longer pavement runs, but now that the tri is over I want to do what I can to heal it up so I can go hard to prepare for next year. My question to the group is, has anyone experienced something similar and what would you do to promote or speed up the healing process? I've already been supplementing with calcium and Vitamin D. Additionally, what time frame should I give it to heal before I start training hard again? Thanks in advance!

Did they say its a stress fracture? Is it still hurting? Is it healed by now?

2013-08-20 4:13 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

I was told by my ortho that it was "fractured", he never mentioned stress fracture and I told him I was planning on doing this triathlon. It hasn't hurt as much as when I finished the 10 miler, all roads through Philly (Broad Street). I also haven't put as much stress on it since (less straight mileage, better surfaces) while training for the tri. It still aches a bit here and there, sometimes during runs, sometimes after or on stairs. I have F/U appointment mid September, but I was interested in getting other's input.
2013-08-22 6:56 PM
in reply to: brian63

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by brian63 I was told by my ortho that it was "fractured", he never mentioned stress fracture and I told him I was planning on doing this triathlon. It hasn't hurt as much as when I finished the 10 miler, all roads through Philly (Broad Street). I also haven't put as much stress on it since (less straight mileage, better surfaces) while training for the tri. It still aches a bit here and there, sometimes during runs, sometimes after or on stairs. I have F/U appointment mid September, but I was interested in getting other's input.

I'm an orthopod so its hard to answer without knowing details.  Its like asking a roofer how long will it take to fix my roof without telling them how big your house is and what the problem is.   In general most fractures heal in about 6-8 weeks.  If it were acute you probably would not be able to run or train on it.  Without a specific injury IE I stepped in a hole on _____ date and rolled my ankle and it hurt every since....I would presume its a stress fracture.  You don't spontaneously have a broken anything without trauma unless its a stress fracture.  Most docs will not let someone run on a fracture unless it is healing or nearly healed.  Stress fxes can take a bit longer to heal.  If its hurting less its healing.  You could try getting an aircast and it would probably help you hurt less running

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First-timer; Recovery time from fractured ankle? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First metarsal tendonitis/tenosynovitis recovery time??

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1277 Posts: 3

2012-12-13 5:04 PM ChrisM

Ankle pain - Confirmed not a stress fracture

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 971 Posts: 1

2012-03-02 11:39 AM TheClaaaw

Heel / Calcaneal stress fracture recovery?

Started by racalvert
Views: 14284 Posts: 5

2010-10-30 6:21 AM guppie

running and post traumatic arthritis due to trimalleolar fracture in ankle

Started by scut207
Views: 6216 Posts: 3

2010-11-03 3:35 PM scut207

Ankle Fracture Recommendations?

Started by ETcmh
Views: 1456 Posts: 9

2005-02-08 10:03 PM MinnesotaBrian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 9, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Stress fractures are one of the most feared injuries in the realm of endurance sports and they are also one of the most common sidelining injuries that such athletes face.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?

date : December 22, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 2
Athletes are using all varieties of protein products, from bars, drinks and powder, and not seeing significant results, consequently recovery time and risk for injury increases.
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.
date : July 30, 2006
Injuries do happen, and we would like to discuss a few injuries that are common. All of these injuries can fall under the category of what are commonly called overuse injuries.

date : July 30, 2006
comments : 1
Besides the obvious rest and strengthening/PT around the ankles, what can I do to further find the root cause and correct it? Also, what are doctors’ stances on active release?