Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-11 10:52 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: Bone Island Triathlon 2014
Originally posted by davidfedez

I did the half distance this year and this will be my overall opinion for each leg:

1. Swim: Wetsuit legal (63F water temp). The distance was measured incorrectly (we swam between 1.4 and 1.5 miles according to most people's Garmins), that's why many people's time was longer than expected. The water was flat.

2. Bike: This was the worst part of the race.
a. We biked in the shoulder of US1. As you can imagine, there was a ton of the debris and many people got flat tires.
b. The road surface was very rough and there was a significant amount of potholes. I am lucky my frame didn't break.
c. The most dangerous part was passing other cyclists, the shoulder wasn't wide enough, so we had to use the highway lanes to do so. I was almost hit twice by cars (lot of traffic).

3. Run: Nice, flat, and fast.

4. Overall: Very well organized (lots of volunteers and aid stations). On the other hand, post-race activities were below average (only coke and pizza), I was expecting some recovery drinks, especially since we were racing a long distance race (HIM & IM).

The swim and run were great, but the bike was too dangerous. It was a great early season race that I would do again if they change the bike course and/or add some safety measures (dedicating one highway lane for the race will be enough), otherwise, I don't think I want to risk my bike and body again.

The bike portion is exactly why I didn't do it a second year (did it in 2013). I live here (KW) and I can tell you that there is not going to be a change in the bike portion route. There really isn't an option to change it and you cannot stop traffic for even a part of U.S. 1 for that long since it is the only way in and out of the Keys. The Island is too small and too few lanes (and too many tourists) to do circles around the Island. The only potential change would be to work out an MOU with the the Naval Air Station to do most of the miles looping inside the NAS. The Key West TRI (oly and sprint) has done that in the past. We didn't do it this year though, so the new CO out there might have tightened up the access rules. In an event, not likely to change and I agree with your assessment of the road conditions.

2014-02-11 12:59 PM
in reply to: topolina

New user
Originally posted by topolina
The bike portion is exactly why I didn't do it a second year (did it in 2013). I live here (KW) and I can tell you that there is not going to be a change in the bike portion route. There really isn't an option to change it and you cannot stop traffic for even a part of U.S. 1 for that long since it is the only way in and out of the Keys. The Island is too small and too few lanes (and too many tourists) to do circles around the Island. The only potential change would be to work out an MOU with the the Naval Air Station to do most of the miles looping inside the NAS. The Key West TRI (oly and sprint) has done that in the past. We didn't do it this year though, so the new CO out there might have tightened up the access rules. In an event, not likely to change and I agree with your assessment of the road conditions.

How are they doing with the Heritage Overseas trail? (I realize it's not wide enough for an out and back route in a race, though I guess it's at least as wide as two road shoulders)
2014-02-11 9:12 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

New user
Thx for the race report update...i have looked at this race the last couple of years but after hearing about the bike, having second thoughts...
2014-02-12 7:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Waldwick
I haven't done the BIT, I did have it on a short list of possible races, but after reading several glaring reviews I don't think it's one I will travel for.
On a positive note I have done the KWTRi (key west tri). For those that would like to travel and race in an exotic location like the Key's this is a GREAT choice. They do not offer long course, only Sprint and Oly. I raced in Dec 2012 and it was a VERY well run event. Closed dedicated bike lane along the ocean road for sprint course (not sure about the oly distance as they continued off the island for a portion of the race). Excellent post race refreshments and drinks, (beer and margaritas as you finish!!), many volunteers and officials that were very enthusiastic, well marked courses and just an amazing setting for a Triathlon. This race is normally the first weekend of December which is a quiet time for Key West.
Another option if your looking to enjoy the Keys and compete in a Tri.
Boomer

Edited by boomer2it 2014-02-12 8:01 AM

(Triathlon Pics (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Triathlon Pics (1).jpg (3281KB - 7 downloads)
2014-02-13 9:24 AM
in reply to: boomer2it

New user
Key West
Originally posted by boomer2it

I haven't done the BIT, I did have it on a short list of possible races, but after reading several glaring reviews I don't think it's one I will travel for.
On a positive note I have done the KWTRi (key west tri). For those that would like to travel and race in an exotic location like the Key's this is a GREAT choice. They do not offer long course, only Sprint and Oly. I raced in Dec 2012 and it was a VERY well run event. Closed dedicated bike lane along the ocean road for sprint course (not sure about the oly distance as they continued off the island for a portion of the race). Excellent post race refreshments and drinks, (beer and margaritas as you finish!!), many volunteers and officials that were very enthusiastic, well marked courses and just an amazing setting for a Triathlon. This race is normally the first weekend of December which is a quiet time for Key West.
Another option if your looking to enjoy the Keys and compete in a Tri.
Boomer

I would echo that. I have done it every year and this year qualified for the AG Nationals at this race. (Nice pic)
2014-02-13 9:26 AM
in reply to: bwalling

New user
Key West
Originally posted by bwalling

Originally posted by topolina

How are they doing with the Heritage Overseas trail? (I realize it's not wide enough for an out and back route in a race, though I guess it's at least as wide as two road shoulders)

It is pretty much done. There are a few places where it isn't finished. I actually thought of that when considering doing the BIT again this year. The problem is the it is a multipurpose path and at some of the bridges there are people fishing and people strolling, etc. Not sure it would be a good path to use for pushing speed for a TRI, but it did cross my mind.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bone Island Triathlon 2014 Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Getting past the registration flood for Boston 2014

Started by Axis of Weasel
Views: 1334 Posts: 5

2013-04-22 10:56 AM RedCorvette

IM MELBOURNE 2014

Started by jobaxas
Views: 1711 Posts: 10

2013-04-04 3:23 PM steamin home

Considering IM New Zealand 2014

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 2251 Posts: 11

2013-01-04 9:05 PM bzgl40

USAT Oly & Sprint Nationals 2013 & 2014... Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMyBest
Views: 4641 Posts: 26

2013-06-24 1:23 PM mcmanusclan5

Help on BQ-ing in 2014 with triathlon

Started by Acee
Views: 2232 Posts: 7

2013-05-20 2:21 AM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 23, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I suffer from pain in the bottom of my left heel after my run. It doesn't hurt when I run but as the day goes on the pain worsens.
date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : March 6, 2008
Hip pain in an athlete involves a wide range of possible diagnoses. Furthermore, people of different age groups are prone to different kinds of injuries due to different stages of bone development.

date : February 11, 2008
Is my childhood groin injury to blame for my recent pain while running? It just hurts when I'm running, not during day to day activities.
date : July 9, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Amenorrhea can cause loss of calcium from the bones, almost a three times higher incidence of stress fractures, and long-term problems with early osteoporosis.

date : July 17, 2005
comments : 1
If a training program increases in intensity too quickly, or does not include enough time for recovery, injury can result.