General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How does winter training differ from summer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-21 2:51 PM

, Alabama
Subject: How does winter training differ from summer?
And to the first person who says it is colder and darker....... Thanks.

This is my first tri season. I have one more race on 8th September then my season is over. I really want to use the winter to try to improve. Do I just keep doing what I m doing or do I concentrate on my weakness or do I do less frequent but longer training?

2013-08-21 3:06 PM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Subject: RE: How does winter training differ from summer?
It's whiter.

Usually for most it means training hours are reduced. It really depends on what your goals were with training during the year.. and what distances you were racing this past summer and what your race plan is for next year.
2013-08-21 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
lots and lots of swimming in an Indoor pool. If it doesn't get to cold you can continue to run outside (spandex will help). However the worst part about winter is officially putting your bike on the trainer. Some bike shops have cyclo cross, but spinning classes can also help as well. By the end of the tri season I will have lost a decent amount of weight, so I like to get back into the gym and do some cross-training
2013-08-21 3:12 PM

User image

Where are you? That is the most important question.

Where I live it rarely snows, the temp is almost always above freezing and the ocean temp is only 6' colder in the winter than in the summer. So you don't really need to adjust your training at all in the winter. Where you live is probably completely different though...
2013-08-21 3:15 PM
in reply to: The Dude14

I swim more (indoor pool). Since it is indoor you don't need to worry about it being cold and dark outside.
2013-08-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

It's easy to get distracted and skip workouts when you don't have a race ahead.   I plan running races year round to stay motivated.

You can look at the winter maintenance plans here on BT.  Although, I would suggest a short break from tri training after your last race (1 or 2 weeks).

Another good option for the winter is sport focus.   Like I said, I run more - or, maybe the same but more than I bike or swim.  Or, you could do a session on the bike trainer to build strength.   It's very easy to do strength workouts on the trainer and the workouts don't take forever.

Other things people do:  take swim classes or join a masters group, take up yoga, take a total break.

I usually regret my time off the bike when the season starts again, so keep that in mind.  It's worth it to keep up all three sports, at least minimally.  If you do, you'll kill it at early season events!

2013-08-21 4:20 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
As mentioned, for me it means the bike goes on the trainer. So, the volume of riding goes down. I simply cannot ride as much on the trainer as I can outside. But, I do try to replace that with more quality. More intervals etc. Sufferfest videos provide a focused workout that I can bear to get through. 50 minutes to 1.5 hours. I think they have some two hour videos now too. I run at lunch and it doesn't get cold enough around here to stop me from doing that. Same with the pool. Its outside, but weather isn't an excuse.
2013-08-21 4:40 PM
in reply to: 0

, Alabama
Originally posted by Chillin

Where I live it rarely snows, the temp is almost always above freezing and the ocean temp is only 6' colder in the winter than in the summer. So you don't really need to adjust your training at all in the winter. Where you live is probably completely different though...

Sorry should have said I am in Ireland. I did sprint distances this year. Four in total, very much BOP. My run is definitely my weakness, I analysed my results and I am around MOP on swim and bike but it is my run which pulls me down dramatically. I intend to really concentrate on heart rate training for the run over the winter trying to build a really good zone 2 base. I just wasn't sure if you were meant to back off a bit during the winter or keep going, I guess it comes down to personal choice and weather etc based on the answers so far.

I hope to pick up spin classes once it gets to bad weather wise to cycle outdoors. I also have an old exercise bikes could utilise, not sure about a trainer I don't really want to go to more expense for one of those. I also have a treadmill for running when I can't run outdoors and will keep swimming at the local pool.

I hope to do maybe six sprints next season and throw in an Oly to up the ante a bit. I am hoping building a good base over the winter will mprove my results. I only started training in Feb / March this year when I decided to take the sport up so hopefully by next year I will make progress.

Edited by NMS 2013-08-21 4:42 PM
2013-08-21 4:54 PM

If your run is the weakest of three, look into doing some run races between now and winter. No reason to stop racing in Sept. The run race season goes until the end of November even up here in Chicago. I really only take off December. Come January, I start building up for the race season again and come end of Feb, early March, the run race season is starting back up.

In the dead of winter, I've got a treadmill and a trainer. Lots of time on both. I run outside when its not too bad, but I'm a cold weather weanie, so the treadmill is my friend. During week, its just too dark to ride, but if its above 30, I'll put on the cold weather gear and go out for a ride on the weekend.
2013-08-21 5:00 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

Some of us perform a great outdoor aerobic activity called Nordic skiing. Be careful not to burn yourself out during the off-season just focusing on triathlon stuff.
2013-08-21 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
That I can finally ride/run in the middle of the day and not have to wake up so dang early just to avoid dying from heat stroke.

2013-08-21 5:25 PM

User image

Originally posted by NMS

Sorry should have said I am in Ireland. I did sprint distances this year. Four in total, very much BOP. My run is definitely my weakness, I analysed my results and I am around MOP on swim and bike but it is my run which pulls me down dramatically. I intend to really concentrate on heart rate training for the run over the winter trying to build a really good zone 2 base. I just wasn't sure if you were meant to back off a bit during the winter or keep going, I guess it comes down to personal choice and weather etc based on the answers so far.

I hope to pick up spin classes once it gets to bad weather wise to cycle outdoors. I also have an old exercise bikes could utilise, not sure about a trainer I don't really want to go to more expense for one of those. I also have a treadmill for running when I can't run outdoors and will keep swimming at the local pool.

I hope to do maybe six sprints next season and throw in an Oly to up the ante a bit. I am hoping building a good base over the winter will mprove my results. I only started training in Feb / March this year when I decided to take the sport up so hopefully by next year I will make progress.

A quick Google search shows Irelands climate to be a little colder but very similar to what it is here. So outdoor running year round is possible (I do) but cycling probably not. The biggest difference in the winter is just getting the motivation up to go out and go for a run when it is cold and wet. This is the main reason most people do less training in the winter, not because they are giving their body a break or anything else.
2013-08-21 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by NMS

Put the bike on the treadmill
2013-08-21 6:21 PM

User image

I generally reduce hours and focus on technique. I keep running all winter but when it gets below - 25, I don't do anything really hard because there is a chance you can do you lungs damage with heavy, fast breathing at that temperature. My bike goes on the trainer as soon as it snows.
2013-08-21 6:28 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Depends where your located.  Here in FL it becomes the running season and when the weather first changes you can take advantage of the heat acclimation and rock some runs! 

Otherwise you can work your weakness or cycle the SBR focus using the BT Winter Maintenance training plans which are 8 weeks each.

2013-08-21 6:50 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Means that the racing stops getting in the way of quality training weeks.

"Triathlon is a Winter sport contested in the Summer." or something close to that.

2013-08-21 6:53 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Winter is awesome! My training hours actually increase during the winter (but that's mainly because I didn't do a triathlon until about 6 weeks ago - just ran).

If you run fast enough you won't get too cold - even if it's snowing. If your run is your weak point, then rack up 40-50 mile weeks during the winter. You won't overheat, dehydration isn't nearly as big an issue, your run times will get faster.

And, when it comes to just flat-out basic endurance there's almost nothing that beats running (Props to the Nordic skiers out there - they get running benefits without running impact injuries). You get more aerobic benefits from an hour of running than you do from an hour of biking or swimming in most cases. You could bike straight up a mountain for an hour but otherwise, running is the biggest bang for your buck.

I had a trade show in Chicago over the winter. I ran 7 miles after the show in the snow. It was so cold, I had frost around the side of my head but it melted up top where the heat was radiating off.

I wore gloves, shorts & a long-sleeved tech shirt. No problems at all.

Winter is an opportunity! Run lots & lots. This winter I plan to get a swimming coach and hang out in the pool as well. The bike will probably get used infrequently as a recovery tool.

That last part where I retire the bike is probably very poor training advice but I think your running and overall fitness can both improve greatly during the winter.
2013-08-21 7:33 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap Means that the racing stops getting in the way of quality training weeks. "Triathlon is a Winter sport contested in the Summer." or something close to that.

x2

There is nothing about training that needs to change during the winter.  The biggest road block to training for most people is time and logistics.  This goes for any month/season of the year.

2013-08-21 8:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Off season can be time when you improve the most.

Training w/o racing allows you to focus, build your engine, work on your weakness. Racing means tapering and recovering but training consistently over the winter will reap benefits come spring time especially after your first winter of training.

You may need to invest in a bunch of new clothing for outdoor cycling and running.

The dark and cold can grate on you and if you are dedicated I hate treadmill, that may change.

2013-08-21 10:41 PM

Originally posted by NMS

And to the first person who says it is colder and darker....... Thanks.

This is my first tri season. I have one more race on 8th September then my season is over. I really want to use the winter to try to improve. Do I just keep doing what I m doing or do I concentrate on my weakness or do I do less frequent but longer training?

Depends on the temperature/riding conditions/your reaction to the cold.

If the roads ice over, which happens in many places, you hit the trainer and do whatever.

If they don't, then you get the proper gear and ride. Many people can't warm up fully due to the cold, and work on putting a lot of base miles in to keep their fitness where it is, or improve on longer distance riding.

I don't really find trainer rides fun, hence me not owning one and riding in the cold. Grab some tights, shoe covers, and arm warmers (or jacket) and ride.

You can also hit the gym and work on strength training. That's something many people do as well; it doesn't hurt to put more muscle in the legs.
2013-08-22 5:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
When you don't have races, the off season - often the winter - it's time to focus on your weakest sport and/or it's time to build your base.

If you are significantly weaker in one sport it makes sense to focus on this to get it on par with the others. Do one or two extra workouts in that discipline and cut back a bit on the others, but no more than you still maintain fitness in other disciplines.

Otherwise build your base, that is, slowly increasing volume after recovering from the last race and building endurance and strength while you focus less on explosive power and speed. It's the off season you can combine with strength training.

Finally, the off season is the season where you can cancel a workout without big consequences so you can catch up with family and friends, enjoy social life and do other activities, go to the movie or whatever. Take vacation.

BR

2013-08-22 6:39 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by thebigb That I can finally ride/run in the middle of the day and not have to wake up so dang early just to avoid dying from heat stroke.

x2

2013-08-22 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

For me, I have a more predictable schedule. Races in the summer means that I taper or training is tailored around that, so my training changes weekly. In winter I only race on the track and big races happen rarely, so I have more of a set schedule.

I also tend to do my longest hours or training in the winter.

2013-08-22 11:23 AM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Oh, I also do more cross training (swimming and snowshoeing with the occassional cross country skiing thrown in) in the winter. In the summer, I pretty much just ride.
2013-08-22 12:14 PM

I always train through winter. Admittedly, CA has the mildest winter in the US, but I still ran thru winters when I lived in NY growing up.

Aside from the cold and snow, the lack of sun was a real bummer for me and continues to be. I end up doing almost all my bike/run in the dark.

Personally, I shift a lot of training indoors because of the dark and cold, but I still get out regularly on bike/run, at least once per week, or else I'd go a bit nuts (and I enjoy indoor training.)

A good indoor bike setup is a huge help. That's been my (not-so) secret weapon for winter fitness when I trained for a March HIM and improved my bike placement by 10 places.

I plan to swim as much as I can this winter, more than summer for sure.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How does winter training differ from summer? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

1st year done, winter plans?

Started by DaveL
Views: 748 Posts: 3

2011-09-19 12:05 PM morey000

How does your off-season training differ?

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1143 Posts: 14

2009-10-08 6:11 PM jvanis

how do training plans differ for a 17 year old

Started by smcollins
Views: 1473 Posts: 14

2008-02-26 3:46 PM smcollins

Anyone doing a duathlon this summer?

Started by kylerboys
Views: 601 Posts: 4

2007-05-21 6:52 PM kp41
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?

date : November 28, 2004
author : Glenn
Most of us have hectic personal and work schedules. In fact, to fit in our training it is often a daily achievement!