General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race not offering gel packets, only re-fills for gel flasks. Discuss. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-23 9:33 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Race not offering gel packets, only re-fills for gel flasks. Discuss.
I used gel flasks at this exact race 2 years ago, worked great. The decision was mostly financial, looked at the quantity of gel I'd consume in training and the price difference between packets and bulk, also factored in that fumbling empty gel packets into my jersey pocket is a PITA compared to a flask. Hammer makes a gel flask holster that mounts to your stem, 1 flask there and 1 in the jersey pocket. Equivalent of five gels per flask, if you need more than 2 flasks load up a couple in your special needs bag or eat a sandwich. The only downside was learning to calibrate a shot from the flask to get the equivalent of 1 gel packet.

2013-08-23 12:35 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Race not offering gel packets, only re-fills for gel flasks. Discuss.
fill a water bottle ... and add a little H2O
2013-08-23 3:25 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I also hate to try and open a packet on my bike. I always get it all over me. I am going to try the flask on my ride this weekend and see if I like it better.
2013-08-23 5:59 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Regular
Yukon
One Gel Flask holds 400-500/5-6oz calories with marked lines so you know exactly how much you get. If you carry one sports drink on the ride you are around 600-700 calories for a half, which is about right if you take 3hours to do 56 miles give or take some(200-250cals/hr). If you are doing a full carrying 2 flasks is not that big of a deal and you get to use exactly what you like in them. Your precious aero bike will be way less cluttered and stay aero as intended. I never use anything provided in any race, but water on coarse. I really do not see the issue as most people will bring what they are use too. As far as ease of use you can not compare the ease of use. Flasks are simply easier and far less messy on the bike. A person can easily stay in aero position and sip out of the flask. Not jerky movements to open anything and no sticky mess all over your hands. I also have no problem with saving money, going green, or being different than status quo. It is a extremely organized and well thought out race.

Now on the run I will not be carrying a flask as it would bounce around too much, but I have one flavor I like which is never offered so I will carry a packet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race not offering gel packets, only re-fills for gel flasks. Discuss. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Gel flask question

Started by slaterson19
Views: 1812 Posts: 13

2011-04-15 11:54 AM Mrs. brown_dog_us

Hammer Gel refill

Started by zeroviz
Views: 692 Posts: 3

2010-03-16 7:34 AM lodewey

Spin off of the Gel Flask post...

Started by KenD
Views: 2033 Posts: 9

2008-08-20 4:55 PM Gerrard

Gel Flasks

Started by Artemis
Views: 2813 Posts: 15

2008-08-19 10:47 AM Artemis

To Gel or not to Gel

Started by Brennan6
Views: 621 Posts: 5

2004-10-09 5:40 PM domlazz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : November 17, 2008
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.
date : April 24, 2005
I can't get my gel pack out of my back pocket and then get it open to eat! I know this sounds really beginnerish, but what tricks or tools can I use to be able to have my food more accessible?

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.