General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quarq question -- cadence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-22 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: Quarq question -- cadence

I recently bought and installed a Quarq Elsa power meter.  I updated the firmware on my Garmin 910 just before I used the PM for the first time.  

I have issues with the cadence dropping or spiking significantly, thus power dropping or spiking significantly.  My self-selected cadence is around 90....I'll be going steady along the road and look at it occasionally and see 70-something or 11X-something, and then jumps right back to the 90's.  It's even more noticeable on the trainer when I look at it more often than out on the road.

I would have assumed I'd installed it incorrectly or that it was an isolated occurrence with my PM, but my husband's Quarq Elsa does the same thing.  Thoughts on how to fix this?  Or is this something we just have to deal with?

2013-08-22 8:25 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Quarq question -- cadence
The magnet could be a touch too far from the Quarq sensor ring and possibly dropping the signal. Could be worth looking into.
2013-08-23 1:54 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030 The magnet could be a touch too far from the Quarq sensor ring and possibly dropping the signal. Could be worth looking into.

x2...sounds like a magnet issue.  I know on my road bike I had to stack two magnets together to get it close enough to the sensor.

2013-08-23 7:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Thanks, now that you mention it, I think they supplied something like three or four magnets with the PM, so maybe that's my problem.  Would this theory make sense that it reads correctly 90% of the time and only drops out occasionally?  Worth looking into, regardless.  Thanks!  
2013-08-23 8:39 AM

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

The magnet could be a touch too far from the Quarq sensor ring and possibly dropping the signal. Could be worth looking into.

I thought that with mine (I am the husband) so I took a look after the shop installed it and the magnet was about 1/4" from the sensor. The manual says within 8mm, so I figured I was good but I moved it closer anyways. It didn't end up stopping the issue for me. When I installed Nicole's I put the magnet about the same distance away as mine now. The magnets are probably within 2-3mm now. So I am not sure if it is actually the magnet. I would imagine if it were a magnet issue that it would drop out more often, but as it is now mine drops the cadence about once a minute or so. And, like Nicole said, it is more of a drop than if I were just to back off (like +/-20-30rpm). It seems weird that both of them are doing it so I thought it might be some kind of signal interference between the other electronics in the room (TV mainly since the computer sits right by it), but I have also noticed it on my outdoor rides as well.
2013-08-23 1:38 PM
in reply to: stebaldi

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

One LBS here said that there were a couple of batches of Quargs that were very spotty in terms of quality, and "people" they knew had to send back their units.  I asked another LBS and they hadn't heard anything like that, though they did think there might have been a period of time after they were bought when things were not as up to snuff (but they thought really just in terms of organization, not quality).

Now, both shops are saying that recent batches are fine and that the customer service is the best they've experienced.

So, it might not be related to a batch issue (sorry to even throw that one out there, as I don't want it to get in your head!), but sounds like the customer service folks at Quarg are currently great to deal with.  Maybe just give them a call?

Good luck - stinks when a new, highly anticipated toy training aid does not live up to reasonable expectations, at least in my book...

Matt

2013-08-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: stebaldi

User image

If you have a workstand, I would try experimenting a bit with the magenet.  Maybe play around with the distances such as 12 mm, 8 mm, 4 mm, etc and see if there is a difference in the reception quality.  Maybe also try a different magenet such as something from a hardware store.

If you still have issues, you can at least report your findings to Quarq and send them the computer files that show the cadence dropping out.  Their customer service is said to be top notch, so I'm sure they will either help you find the solution, or take it back and fix the issue.  I would just take the extra step to do some testing on my own to avoid (if possible) having to send the crank back if it was just a simple fix I could do.

2013-08-23 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

In addition to the distance away from the sensor ring, is it centered on the ring, and not slightly to the inside or outside (toward or away from the center of the bottom bracket)?

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-08-23 2:37 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quarq question -- cadence Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Quarq question - Compatability with Shimano

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 1945 Posts: 8

2013-02-19 10:05 AM Dlaxman31

question about bottom brackets and quarq

Started by netzer0
Views: 2219 Posts: 4

2013-02-08 7:28 AM GMAN 19030

quarq/garmin 800 question

Started by ryanlangmaid
Views: 671 Posts: 4

2012-05-22 7:01 PM ryanlangmaid

Quarq/310XT questions

Started by DBautista
Views: 404 Posts: 1

2011-03-31 12:08 PM DBautista

run cadence vs bike cadence Pages: 1 2

Started by cevans
Views: 4218 Posts: 32

2006-08-12 2:29 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : February 22, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on using the weekends for a long bike and run, good running cadence, Ironman swimming, importance of kick drills and swim cadence.
date : September 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Descente, Vision Tech, Pearl Izumi, Saris, CamelBack, BlueSeventy, Blue, GU, Quarq and Shimano.

date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.