General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Stevens, Washington
United States
WTC (World Triathlon Corporation) (Ironman 70.3)
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 41m 9s
Overall Rank = 9/18
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 25/34
Pre-race routine:

Try to get some sleep on Saturday night. Impossible. Too Hot.
Also I had signed up as a Clydesdale and was 9 out of 18.
Event warmup:

Wandered back and forth around the Aqua Fest area in my flipflops. Fortunate to find primo parking very close to event....Even though they were encouraging people to park 3 miles away at the HS and take shuttle bus?
Swim
  • 43m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did a little 20 yard WU off the runup ramp. Stubbed my toes trying to get down the ramp astroturf and sand. I was wearing my De Soto Tri top under my wetsuit. First time that I've done that, and it caused some constriction.
75% of people still were in wetsuits even with warm water.
My wave had about 50 people in my age group. Had a hard time sighting in on buoys and felt like I did alot of Zig Zagging.
On coming back from the turn, it was all into the early morning sunshine. Impossible to see. Had final thoughts that I might run into the dock.
What would you do differently?:

I would try the wearing of a tri top under wetsuit in training.
I felt ok with the time, didn't push it, just wanted to be comfortable and finish in around 40m.
And since the water was warm, it wasn't refreshing. So now I can appreciate cooler water swims.

I wouldn't do much of anything. Except get back into a training program. I've been puttering around with the training since IMCDA
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Took top off in the water, and just walked up to T1. Calves cramped when I tried to pull them out of suit. URRG.
Took time to put on socks and shoes, put two gels and a baggy of pretzels in pockets and walked bike out of T1.

Figure out a better system to take along more supplies. Forgot my Clif Blok. Maybe invest in the bottle holder in the back of seat.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 32s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I screwed up on one of the first hill climbs by shifting from big ring to small in a small gear and threw my chain off, got it back on pretty fast but had to start from a dead stop on a hill.

I felt good about the average of speed out on the course. Had some yo yo passes with others. Pass me, but slow down a quarter mile away, so I would have to repass them....Did see the course referees penalty a rider for drafting.

I had a front brake rubbing when I got up out of the saddle in the climbs. Only happened on climbs and didn't want to stop to tinker with it.
Some of the downhills were great for speed. Hit my PB 43mph....Very spooky.

Not much training between IMCDA and the HIM. Couple 35 mile rides and shorter stuff.
I was happy with the ride though all things considered.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Changed socks, tore my bib number and had to jerry-rig it. Left T2, saw Wife and Butter, kissed wife and than remembered I needed to go to the Portajohn.

All the leftover waterbottles were warm/hot.
Run
  • 2h 37m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

FREAKING HOT, no breeze on first loop. Some breeze on second loop. No clouds. Kept looking to run in the shade of trees along the streets. Aid Stations only had Gatorade and Water. Plus Powerbar Gels ( I've never tried them and wasn't going to start today).

Did the walk a little and than run as long as possible. Got better on the run as the day went on. Some of the climbs, it felt better to shuffle than to walk. Calves felt crampy during the power walk.

Lot of water was poured over my head and splashed in my face. NO ICE or SPONGES

Limited training hampered my run. Plus heat. I think my weight was around 207.
Post race
Warm down:

Got medal and was offered cold bottle of Gatorade and water. (no more gatorade for me). Notice a couple cots that had competitors getting attention and IVs.

Couldn't locate my wife, so wandered through the Aqua Fest food court and went and got my bike and gear. Secured gear and bike in the truck and walked back to finish area and found loved ones.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited Training from having Sore feet the last two weeks. Which weren't much a factor today, since I iced them alot last nite. (who have thought that icing would help).

No training in hot conditions.

Event comments:

Very congested area with the Aqua Fest going on...Next year they have locked into the 8th of July and have more money for racers (pros). Expect to have 1400 competitors.

The HIM went on at same time as the International Distance plus they had relay teams.

I signed up on the idea that it would be alot easier than IM. Yes it was, but still a workout.
Would probably do this next year as a prep for IM Canada (if I make the registration)

Last updated: 2006-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:09 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/34
Overall: 0/18
Performance: Average
Suit: De Soto T1
Course: One lap, marked by orange and yellow buoys. Water was very warm, murky, water weeds.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:15:32 | 58 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/34
Performance: Good
I saw a Peak HR of 176 on a climb. Mostly in the 160s. Felt ok though.
Wind: None
Course: Two loops out into the country two lane roads. Rolly hills and some flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:37:12 | 13.1 miles | 12m  min/mile
Age Group: 25/34
Performance: Below average
169 Average for about the first 2 miles. Just couldn't get it down. Later went down to the 150s after walking some.
Course: Two loops around residential in the city.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-23 11:06 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier

2006-07-23 11:41 PM
in reply to: #490727

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
Subject: RE: Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier
NICE JOB!! I was thinking about you folks today...especially Seattle Folks who are not used to this kind of HEAT! Good race report and glad you made it through.

~Ann
2006-07-25 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Good job! I am glad we don't have hot weather like this all summer. Great race.
2006-07-28 5:39 PM

User image

Endicott, ny
Great job on the half iron man!!!! I read your blog and totally related to some the irratations that you had. Really good time on the swim for not pushing it. I hope I do as good in my first half.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier Rss Feed