General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are your fears and frustrations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-23 6:49 AM

Subject: What are your fears and frustrations?
Hi,

I'm a former professional athlete and now a performance coach for athletes.

I'm curious to hear what are the challenges, the fears and frustrations, doubts, worries, anxieties you are facing when training, before the competition and during the competition?

I know I for one have big ego at times and it might be a challenge to honestly admit I do have challenges but that's what makes us human I guess

It would be nice to start a collection of different struggles people have and also how have the more experienced people overcome them. I'm sure all of us face similar fears and frustrations somewhere down the road and the more successful ones just happen to think differently about them or use different strategies to trick the mind

If you are a veteran, what fears and frustrations did you face earlier in your life and please share what mental tricks you've figured out or heard people using how to mentally overcome those challenges?

Cheers!

Edited by yuza 2013-08-23 7:14 AM

2013-08-23 6:57 AM
in reply to: yuza

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Subject: RE: What are your fears and frustrations?
None ... I love every minute of training and racing.

Fears and frustrations come at times with the rest of what life offers ... at least for me.

Swim, Bike, Run is nothing but fun.
2013-08-23 7:03 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
injuries that would stop me from doing this stuff for good. Especially running.
2013-08-23 7:19 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Lake Orion
Originally posted by colinphillips

X2
2013-08-23 7:40 AM

User image

I get a general freak out the first time I do any new type of race. First 5k--terrified, especially since I was one of the worst runners in school and avoided it whenever possible. First trail race--I was convinced I would fall on my face and end up a bloody mess. First half-marathon-- despite doing 15 mile training runs, I was afraid that I would blow up and not be able to finish. First bike race--so much fear, and despite months of dedicated training, seeing all those skinny people on their $10k bikes the day of the race did not help. I was actually a little better for my first duathlon and triathlon, but I think it was because I had already conquered so many other first race jitters, although I do hold back in the runs because I don't have confidence my Achilles tendon is fully healed and I don't want to have to give up running.
2013-08-23 7:52 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Pro

Yeah I have been running since high school and never injured. Last year I had a bad bike crash which ended the season. Got injured running Boston this year and still haven't recovered. My biggest worry is that I'm just not healing. I can swim and bike, but running causes pain. Been to the doc and chiropractor, but so far I don't see any improvement. Without running I fear becoming fat, lazy, and miserable. I really love running.

2013-08-23 8:04 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Wasting my time - I read a lot about junk miles / which zone to run in / how much volume to take on / what to eat - it's just too much to take in. With a job and a family it's frustrating to know that I might be doing workouts that are wasting my time and not making me a better athlete.

Injuries - the older I get (39 now) the more I know my body is prone to injury and recovery is longer

Balance - I only do long or middle distance and while I want to do my best I don't want it to dominate my life or become that dull guy who only talks about his last or next ironman race. Ironman races are catered training sessions - I won't be crying at the finish line, I don't think it's an amazing achievement and it's not how I define myself. but every now and I then I feel my competitive spirit and ambition creeping in and starting to creep in to otehr parts of my life.

2013-08-23 8:06 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Swimming, biking and running has been a ton of fun for me. All of my races have been fun as well. Heck, I actually even kind of enjoyed the scrum in my first OWS race a couple weeks ago. It kind of got my mind into the race for the get go. I got excited the first few times I got bumped into and hit. Not saying I WANTED to get hit or anything but I got kind of amped up after that and really pushed myself to get past some people to get into the clear.

Besides that, the only thing I worry about now is that the bike I am using is way too big for me. The seat is slammed all the way down onto the frame right now. I know this can't be good for me but I don't have the funds to get another bike right now. I bought this one used from a friend who is much taller than me. I am just afraid that I might be messing up my knees or back because things aren't sized right for me.
2013-08-23 8:18 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
I'm totally not a TRI veteran and have only completed sprints to this point (7 or eight now) and want to challenge myself to do an OLY distance. I'm confident in the swim and bike. Running does not come naturally or easy for me. I'm a total plodder. My fear is not being able to complete the run in and OLY distance. I train regularly and still find running a struggle. I admit it is a big mental obstacle for me and part of that is seeking advice from those who are experienced, informed and can help.

Bruce
2013-08-23 8:31 AM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

User image

Pro
I'll let you know after I see the surgeon this afternoon.
2013-08-23 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Running out of time

2013-08-23 8:41 AM

User image

Elite
I believe newer triathletes biggest anxiety will be the swim, which was mine when I first started, but after years of training , racing and some HIM and a IM competitive swim that went away......so for those dealing with it swim more

For me now it's avoiding injury and keeping the motivation to keep pushing forward
2013-08-23 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Frustration= The bike. I love to swim and run, I like bike touring if I can diddle along at my own pace and stop to take pictures, but to be honest, I really don't enjoy training for or competing in the bike aspect of triathlon. Plus I suck at it relative to the swim and run. When I started tri, I assumed that anyone could become a decent biker with training, and I should be good since I have a good engine, but I'm not. I've managed to crack the top 20% and even the top 10% in a few recent races, but nowhere near the front of the pack. I just feel tired from the minute I get on a bike to train, and every workout feels like impending death. Three years of tri training have only made me dislike it more. Maybe if I lived somewhere with more attractive places to ride it would be different.....By contrast, running and swimming have always come naturally and I find them enjoyable. I'm beginning to suspect I just have some natural disability when it comes to riding a bike. My only talent is riding up hills--maybe I just need to find an uphill race!

Fears......I'm pretty fearless about most physical challenges, even when I should be more cautious. I ran my first marathon at age 14 because I thought the wall only applied to adults. My previous longest race had been a 15K. I hit the wall at 24 miles, but won the race. I guess because I got rewarded for idiocy in my formative years, common sense still doesn't come naturally! My only fear would be an injury that keeps me from running long-term or being stuck in a job/living situation where I was unable to train.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-08-23 8:52 AM
2013-08-23 11:06 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Lack of time and balancing it with the rest of my life is the biggest frustration.  I burn the candle at both ends with work, family, friends, and training.  I love to train but it gets very difficult when you have other obligations and desires outside of the tri world.  Too many times this summer I've had to get the last of workouts in late while everyone is getting ready for bed.  I am not a morning person and never will be.  It's a shame as this would solve much of the training time issues.  I've tried to be creative and invovle my family in my training and racing.  Almost all my riding is on the trainer in our den, I swim during lunch during the week, when I do swim in the evening or weekend I've been towing my son in a small infaltable raft tied to my ankle.

2013-08-23 11:29 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'm afraid of spiders coach....Sorry, this reminded me of the locker room scene from the Replacements...
2013-08-23 11:57 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Yeah I have been running since high school and never injured. Last year I had a bad bike crash which ended the season. Got injured running Boston this year and still haven't recovered. My biggest worry is that I'm just not healing. I can swim and bike, but running causes pain. Been to the doc and chiropractor, but so far I don't see any improvement. Without running I fear becoming fat, lazy, and miserable. I really love running.

x2

I came currently recovering from a stress fracture. Even though I have been biking and running a ton, I feel fat lazy and unmotivated without running.

2013-08-23 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by Hot Runner Frustration= The bike. I love to swim and run, I like bike touring if I can diddle along at my own pace and stop to take pictures, but to be honest, I really don't enjoy training for or competing in the bike aspect of triathlon. Plus I suck at it relative to the swim and run. When I started tri, I assumed that anyone could become a decent biker with training, and I should be good since I have a good engine, but I'm not. I've managed to crack the top 20% and even the top 10% in a few recent races, but nowhere near the front of the pack. I just feel tired from the minute I get on a bike to train, and every workout feels like impending death. Three years of tri training have only made me dislike it more. Maybe if I lived somewhere with more attractive places to ride it would be different.....By contrast, running and swimming have always come naturally and I find them enjoyable. I'm beginning to suspect I just have some natural disability when it comes to riding a bike. My only talent is riding up hills--maybe I just need to find an uphill race!

Wow, it's like you've read my mind.  Same exact experience here.  I've always said the bike leg is a necessary evil in between two disciplines I enjoy so much.  And there just aren't many aquathons around here.

For what it's worth, after many consultations with many sports/medical professionals including bike fitters, orthopedists, therapists, masseuses, athletic trainers and a chiropractor I've discovered that I DO have some natural "disabilities" (I use that term loosely) when it comes to biking.  1) My right hip is so internally rotated that it just cannot generate the power of which I'm truly capable.  All the therapy in the world is not likely to make much different at this point, 40 years later though I haven't given up trying 2) I have lack of cervical lordosis which is another term for my neck being too straight instead having a natural curve.  This could be from whiplash years ago, genetic, or both.  My chiro goes as far as to classify it as "scoliosis" but I don't really care for that word either.  In any event, riding even in a less than aero position causes quite a bit of pain after about 15 miles.  Aside from riding, the neck issue never bothers me.

Point being, my fears lie in the fact that I have little to no control over issues like these and their impact on my body and performance as I age.  I don't even worry so much about speed, it's more like whether or not I can even continue to train at all as I get older and older.  Because it gets worse and worse by the year.

2013-08-23 12:04 PM

1. Finding the balance between good tri training and a great family life.
2. Getting an injury that will not only put me out of racing, but hinder other aspects of life.
3. Running out of money to train/race.
2013-08-23 2:40 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Franklin, TN
Originally posted by popsracer

Lack of time and balancing it with the rest of my life is the biggest frustration.  I burn the candle at both ends with work, family, friends, and training.  I love to train but it gets very difficult when you have other obligations and desires outside of the tri world.  Too many times this summer I've had to get the last of workouts in late while everyone is getting ready for bed.  I am not a morning person and never will be.  It's a shame as this would solve much of the training time issues.  I've tried to be creative and invovle my family in my training and racing.  Almost all my riding is on the trainer in our den, I swim during lunch during the week, when I do swim in the evening or weekend I've been towing my son in a small infaltable raft tied to my ankle.

This is me. This is my first year in the sport (at almost 54) and I'm genetically gifted enough to be a solid MOP. I'm competitive enough to want to get better but its tough to find the hours to train (especially, if most of your workouts are limited to evenings and weekends). I know I'll probably have to suck it up and start with an a.m. workout (if I want to be competitive) but, like popsracer, I'd rather not do the morning workout.
2013-08-23 6:32 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Interesting--a PT also told me that I have some of that internal rotation on my left hip. Also relatively weak glutes and hamstrings which I have been working on for a couple of years. In any case, I just don't generate much power on either side! I've improved with training, but it hasn't been nearly as impressive as I hoped. I think in my case some of it is body build and muscle type. I'm medium tall but tiny build--small frame, no obvious muscle, very light weight for my height. Pretty much your standard marathoner's build, totally slow-twitch. It doesn't matter how much I eat or strength train-- I look like a 98 pound weakling. The top bikers usually aren't large people, but you do see those "power thighs", even on relatively thin women. I have a great cardio engine but my legs just don't put out that much oomph....unless we are going up a hill, when the engine becomes a lot more important. Have messed around forever with bike fit hoping there's some magic bullet out there to make biking feel less horrible, but haven't found it yet--I've struggled to keep up with others, even my own mother until she was almost 60, from childhood, on all kinds of bikes. Sometimes I even wonder if it's a mental hangup from trying to keep up with her! I'm guessing in any case it's more about the rider than the bike. No matter....I'm very stubborn, so I'll just keep trying!
2013-08-23 6:52 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Frustration = RUNNING  and injuries because if RUNNING.  My feet suck.  I have a mortons foot have had 5 ankle surgeries on the left and a total of 8 knees surgeries (A smattering on both sides)  I can swim and bike but running is a struggle

2013-08-23 8:47 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by Hot Runner

In any case, I just don't generate much power on either side! I've improved with training, but it hasn't been nearly as impressive as I hoped. I think in my case some of it is body build and muscle type. I'm medium tall but tiny build--small frame, no obvious muscle, very light weight for my height. Pretty much your standard marathoner's build, totally slow-twitch. It doesn't matter how much I eat or strength train-- I look like a 98 pound weakling. The top bikers usually aren't large people, but you do see those "power thighs", even on relatively thin women. I have a great cardio engine but my legs just don't put out that much oomph....unless we are going up a hill, when the engine becomes a lot more important.

Is it possible that there's nothing wrong with your biking, just that you're at a disadvantage on flatter courses due to your slight build. The fact that you climb well suggests that you have a good w/kg, but not such a good raw wattage, which is to be expected from a lighter athlete. That's why the best pro TT riders are generally pretty big, but the best climbers are generally slight. Neither is weak on the bike - the different conditions favor different riders. And most tri bike courses have too little elevation to really help the climbers.
2013-08-23 8:55 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain I'll let you know after I see the surgeon this afternoon.

Not so scared after all...... surgery on Tuesday...doc says swimming in 2 weeks, biking in 4 weeks, running in 6 weeks.  Piece of cake.

2013-08-23 9:23 PM

Frustration: Having to eat while on the bike. It's really what's stopping me from constantly doing centuries or doubles. Stupid body

Fear: Getting hit by a car. I'm assuming it's a matter of time; the real fear is braking something or being badly injured. You can always buy new parts, but the body is fragile.
2013-08-23 10:08 PM
in reply to: FlacVest

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Frustration: plantar fasciitis issues that I just can't seem to shake. The run is already my weak link, and while I am focusing on it, I know that putting in the miles to really advance is going to be very difficult.

Fear: constantly worried about another injury setback. I love my training time, honestly. I picked up working out many years ago to keep myself out of happy hours and other things that could've gotten worse. It isn't how I define myself, but all of this is something I truly enjoy. M

Oh, and I'm afraid someone will show up wearing the exact same Tri suit as me and pass me right before the finish line. That would suck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are your fears and frustrations? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3067 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

HR frustration--am I in danger?

Started by bbarron
Views: 1276 Posts: 15

2005-02-21 6:41 PM Christie

plateaud frustrations!

Started by gr8brindle
Views: 1139 Posts: 13

2005-01-24 1:43 PM jtat17

Frustration

Started by joeinco
Views: 900 Posts: 13

2004-10-27 2:00 PM joeinco

frustrations with time/injuries

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 734 Posts: 6

2004-07-09 9:59 PM joannh13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 0
Like the fear of being foolish, the fear of failure is very common. The first step in overcoming the fear of failure is to define it. Once defined the steps to overcome it are not difficult.

date : April 24, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
This article discusses how to overcome your fears into getting started in triathlon.
date : April 10, 2013
author : mnatwood
comments : 2
Don’t give up just because the training is difficult. Don’t let fear win just because you find yourself uncomfortable.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : October 4, 2006
author : dleii
At some point I remember thinking about the movie CAPE FEAR. This is what it seemed like when I was around a lot of people. It was just a lot of commotion of waves, arms and feet.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 1
Good memories are crucial to your success in the water. Trying to swim laps before you are comfortable in the water is likely to reinforce your anxiety, so avoid the white-knuckle approach.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.