General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman - mind over matter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: jmk-brooklyn, Ron Reply
2013-08-24 3:07 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman - mind over matter?
I did IM Copenhagen last week. It was my third IM race (IM Austria in 09 12:45, Outlaw UK in '10 12:33). Then I took two years off to do my MBA part time. Basically, because I'm working, I had to do the MBA in my training time. I entered IM Copenhagen thinking my MBA would finish in April and I'd have a nice block of training. As it happened, it finished on August 1st with the race on August 18th.

This meant my training was severely limited and I considered pulling out but I'd invested too much money into it so didn't. I managed to get round a HIM in 5:53 in May and that felt ok.

I got round in 12:14, so a 20 minute PB over the distance on a harder course. When I got back, I analysed my training and found that in the 10 weeks prior to IM I averaged 6.5 hours a week and in the 10 weeks before that I did 10 hours (massively subsidised by a 3 day, 335 cycling event) and 8 hours a week in the 10 weeks before.

I realise I'm still going slow and I really hope to ramp things up and get under 11 hours in Germany next year but this is a post to those who worry about missing the odd workout leading up to their IM. It really doesn't matter. There's nothing athletic about me - I'm 210lbs, 39 years old and with no particular sporting background since i started tri's in 2008 - I did a bit of high school swimming.

I'm not suggesting that the training I did is sufficient but I would have pulled out of the race if I'd have known what I'd done before hand. As it turned out, the swim was comfortable (1:09), the bike was a joy (5:48) and the first 20 miles of the marathon were fine - I slowed to a jog/walk for the last 6 miles but it was still good fun.

Makes me wonder just how much of an IM is mind over matter. Of course 'completing' v 'competing' are two very different things and I've just been out to complete before now.

2013-08-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman - mind over matter?

Maybe your cumulative training from 2009-2013 has been better than say your cumulative training from 2005-2009, or 2006-2010?

Or maybe the course conditions were a bit easier.  It's hard to compare IM finishing times on different courses...but as far as training's not just about what you do during the 18 week training plan.  It has a lot to do with the fitness you've built up over the past several years.

My Race Log
2013-08-24 3:46 PM

User image

Kailua, Hawaii
Congrats on your 3rd IM. 12:14 is certainly a nice time and significant improvement over the prior 2.

Your experience might also be a factor, .the Mental push might be stronger due to your prior races and knowing you can do it.

And you can waste a lot of time in transition and at aid stations, also walking / stopping when you don't need to
Time can easily slip away at a long distance race like IM.

The fact that your body was more rested could've been a factor as well.

who knows, but good job on your PB !!

My Race Log
2013-08-24 5:54 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Thanks Metafizx

I've been thinking about this some more today and one significant difference was that I didn't feel under any pressure at all in the lead up or during the race. I think having two races, albeit two years ago, in the bank reduced the fear but given the build up I was happy to come in around 13/14 hours if that's what my body told me to do. I was quite fearful in the lead up to the other two races - could I handle it? Would it hurt? what would happen if x,y,z happened?

I wonder if having my mind in that relaxed state meant less energy lost to stress and the experience of having done a couple meant less fretting about unnecessary stuff.

I'll certainly be paying more attention to mental preparation from now on. I don't really know what that means yet! But I think there could be plenty in it. Time to get some books out!
2013-08-24 7:58 PM

User image

Wendell, NC
"If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"
My Race Log
2013-08-25 8:45 AM
in reply to: metafizx

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by metafizxCongrats on your 3rd IM. 12:14 is certainly a nice time and significant improvement over the prior 2.
. Yeah...I would be ecstatic to get that time, too!
My Race Log

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman - mind over matter? Rss Feed  

Mind over matter?

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 953 Posts: 12

2013-10-30 8:45 AM DV 1

Apparently Size does matter....

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 337 Posts: 1

2006-07-01 2:17 PM TimmyMay

miles matters?

Started by grifs
Views: 501 Posts: 9

2005-05-01 11:48 AM Joe M

Brick training days--does the order matter?

Started by line
Views: 539 Posts: 5

2005-04-12 10:47 AM bsjracing

Double or triple crankset - does it really matter?

Started by green
Views: 1300 Posts: 7

2004-02-20 9:35 AM green
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 7
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.
date : December 27, 2004
author : gsmacleod
I have seen very athletically talented teams fall apart in clutch situations and much less gifted teams play well above their ability!
date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Dillion
comments : 1
If anyone is considering expanding their horizons and getting into doing an Ironman distance or ½ Ironman distance race, there are many tips and tricks that can help in having a pleasant experience.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Dillion
I have come to a realization that it is my mind that takes me out of a race and not my physical capabilities.
date : August 31, 2004
comments : 1
Lessen your fear by learning some cornering techniques.