General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for my first tri - bike fitting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-24 12:14 PM

Subject: Preparing for my first tri - bike fitting
Hi All,

I'm going to do my first triathlon (Olympic distance) in two weeks and thinking whether it makes sense to do a custom fitting for my bike before the race.

Little background - I've been running for last several years, haven't done much cycling, plus only learnt to swim 6-8 months ago.

I've been swimming 3 times a week ('swimming' means learning to not drown while in the water for extended time period ) did a marathon in June, but unfortunately didn't have much time to catch up with my cycling - would do few miles commuting on my city bike and, at best, once a week 20-35 mile ride on the road bike (no aero experience).

I know that the first race should be taken light and will be definitely doing more, but still want to try to get the best time I can. So the question is about my road bike, I was thinking that it would be useful to be fitted well, especially when I start doing more cycling (and I will) for the future races, but the question is whether it makes sense to do it before the race now. On one hand I'm quite busy at work and in the process of moving to another house, but on another, if it magically buys me some speed in the race in two weeks I'd consider finding time to do two visits to the fitter's shop (and paying good money)

Today i did a little test ride, 25 miles on a relatively flat but somewhat windy course, and could only do 19.2 mph over the whole distance :$

So not to go on for too long, do you guys think I'll benefit from a better fitted bike in such a short time? or I should just do the race with whatever I have and save money and time to prepare better for the next ones?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice,
zura

2013-08-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: zura

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Preparing for my first tri - bike fitting

Getting a proper bike fitting will be the first thing most on BT will recommend.  A proper bike fitting can potentially find you some power if your setup is out of whack now. Getting a set of aero bars for a RB and a fitting will get you some speed.  

On the race, ride a bit slower than you think you can do the race ride in, then slow a little bit more!  Because when it comes to the run, the bike can totally break you.  My first two Oly's were done on a Mnt Bike and a entry level road bike where I was not in proper biking shape but in decent running shape.  I pushed the bike legs all the way, but man when it came to the run at about 3 miles into the run for both races my thighs locked up and it was a painful 5k after that point. Both Oly 10k's took me about 1:05, when at the time I could do a straight up 10k in 47min.  I should have slowed down on the bike 5-10 minutes and could have finished the races at least 5 minutes faster than I did!

2013-08-24 3:11 PM

1) It seems like you're doing a lot with your life outside of cycling; I would hold off on the fitting if you don't have the cash laying around.

2) You can get a pretty good fitting by tinkering with the bike yourself. Look at videos and if you have a camera or phone, sit on a trainer or something if possible, even prop your bike up and spin the pedals backwards, and record your fit.

Then tweak. But if you're averaging 19.2 over 25 miles, which is about where I am, the engine is what needs to be worked on.

Aero wheels help when you're moving at high speeds (23+ at least), and a helmet will offer wattage savings as well for much less. Grab a helmet and train.
2013-08-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
Originally posted by FlacVest

Aero wheels help when you're moving at high speeds (23+ at least), ... .

Not correct. Additionally, there is no magic speed when you should start considering aero position, helmet, wheels and set up. Getting aero and working on the engine are not mutually exclusive. If you want all that stuff when you're going 16mph, go ahead and get it.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-08-24 3:30 PM
2013-08-25 1:55 PM
in reply to: Donto

Thanks for the advice Donto, I'll try to save some energy for the run, I may be wrong but I expect the run part to be like the last 10k of a marathon, meaning that I'll be as exhausted by the swim/bike part as running the first 30k, is this true? if so, I should be able to do the run in about 40 mins...
2013-08-25 1:58 PM

I decided to do the race with what I have now, will concentrate on getting enough experience about the process of a triathlon race instead of hitting specific time mark, and will prepare better for the next one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for my first tri - bike fitting Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri bike fit compared to road bike fit

Started by runspingirl
Views: 4732 Posts: 11

2011-02-18 3:38 PM JeffY

Tri bike fit vs Road bike fit

Started by DJones107
Views: 1467 Posts: 6

2010-10-05 7:46 AM DJones107

Set up road bike fit like a tri bike fit

Started by jsiegs
Views: 3340 Posts: 16

2010-08-23 8:45 PM audiojan

How's my fit??? First Tri bike

Started by DrPete
Views: 1847 Posts: 14

2008-09-01 11:48 AM DrPete

Preparing for very first tri

Started by nickdowsk
Views: 904 Posts: 11

2006-05-02 11:28 AM nickdowsk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.