Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any vets or cat lovers in the house? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-24 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Any vets or cat lovers in the house?
So I adopted a kitten from the Humane Society through Petsmart 8 days ago. He came home with some Science Diet Kitten formula. I picked up some Taste of the Wild the next day. Started to transition him over to the new food and ended up doing it quickly since he was eating a ton and went through the free stuff quickly. He had semi formed stools when I first brought him home which has progressed to full on diarrhea. Kitty was seen by the vet on day 3. He got shots and they sent a stool off which came back negative. I have since picked up a bag of the Science Diet and now mix it 3 parts to one part taste of the wild. Also started him on Fortiflora yesterday. Still no improvement. I called the vet a few days ago and he suggested metranidazole so I will pick that up Monday. Didn't really want to start antibiotics if it was just a food issue but it is not looking that way. The diarrhea seems to be bothering me more than kitty as he still tears around like a maniac. Anyone dealt with this? Monday seems like forever away. lol

2013-08-24 7:02 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Any vets or cat lovers in the house?
Dealt with it with my Smudgee. He also developed diarrhea after a change in diet and I thought it was a food issue since a sample just before I adopted him had come back negative. I dialed back on switching the food and did it slowly, still very loose stools. He didn't seem to be in any distress, but it was messy and bothered me. Another test a few weeks later showed tapeworms. I was surprised as at six months he was already a sturdy nine pounds, glossy fur, full of energy, not your typical skinny, listless cat with worms. Not a vet but maybe in some stages of their life cycle they're harder to spot? The one sign seemed to be the enormous amount of food he was putting away--apparently much of it was going to his worms.

I'd be careful with Taste of the Wild--not familiar with the brand but is it formulated for kittens? Kitten food's usually intended to be more digestible and in smaller pieces, which matters for the little ones. All my kittens except Smudgee (since we're in Vietnam) have done well on Iams or Science Diet kitten food. He got Royal Canine Kitten, the European equivalent. It's been my experience that the more expensive food pays for itself as the cat eats less (since it has fewer filler ingredients) and tends to have fewer health issues.

Then again, also possible it's something bacterial--if he's been at a shelter or pet store, there's lots of chances to pick up bugs from other cats, especially with the stress of new owner, food, etc. It seems odd that the vet would prescribe an antibiotic without seeing the cat, though--ours wouldn't. I know vets are expensive but I'd be careful with a kitten--they can quickly deteriorate if they get dehydrated and/or have an infection. A final, depressing possibility is that he left Mom too young--they seem to have impaired immunity in that case from not getting enough of her milk, and tend to come down with, and usually succumb, to pretty much everything. It's why I won't get kittens in developing countries unless they're born to a friend's Mom Cat and spend a full 6-8 weeks with her. I don't know what the solution is in that case. Best of luck!
2013-08-24 7:14 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Anything ending in "azole" is likely an anti-parasitic and not antibiotic. Likely some kind of parasite and not a bacterial infection.

BUT: This thread is worthless without pics! Where's the cute kitten shots?
2013-08-24 7:40 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. The taste of the wild doesn't come in kitten variety but has an all stages formula. I feel like like it is a good quality food. We have had our dog on the canine version for a long time and she does well. It is grain free for both cats and dogs. It may not be right for my little kitty though. Ugg! We are so broke right now too. Maybe should have waited on adding a new family member. My hubby felt bad for me as I am injured and can't run for probably a few months. He said I needed something else to fixate on. Lol

As far as pics go, let me see if I can figure out how to post. I am not very computer savy.
2013-08-24 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If it is indeed an anti-parasitic then my guess is the vet is treating pre-emptively for worms. If Mom Cat was a street/shelter kitty then the kittens have probably had them from birth and that's a reasonable assumption. I'd check with the vet that it is and if so, go ahead and worm him. (Actually, I think both Smudgee and I may have taken that particular one--not at the same time for the same tummy bug, though!) If still not resolved, I'd try some different foods; if that still doesn't do the trick, back to the vet. Good luck--already have kitten envy and mine's only 1 1/2!
2013-08-25 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
i would recommend only using kitten specific food for a kitten. they pack a ton of extra nutrients in it which it needs since it is going to be doing a lot of growing very quickly; full grown cats don't need this. feeding a kitten cat food can cause it to become malnourished.

also you mention its a male cat... do some research on the food brand you choose. some will cause bladder infections in male cats which can lead to kidney infection/failure if you don't catch it fast enough. there are a few brands out there which are better than others, and if your cat requires it you can usually get "prescription" grade cat food from the vet.

2013-08-26 7:08 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I don't have much advice on the condition other than to say it's likely just related to his system adjusting to a new food.  Heck, my body does that when my wife takes me somewhere new to eat.  lol

I do want to say congratulations on your new kitty.  

2013-08-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Champion
PA

Originally posted by pitt83 Anything ending in "azole" is likely an anti-parasitic and not antibiotic. Likely some kind of parasite and not a bacterial infection. BUT: This thread is worthless without pics! Where's the cute kitten shots?

Oh, I'm so glad you added that part since the thread was about kitten stool.  ;-)

2013-08-26 10:34 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Clempson

i would recommend only using kitten specific food for a kitten. they pack a ton of extra nutrients in it which it needs since it is going to be doing a lot of growing very quickly; full grown cats don't need this. feeding a kitten cat food can cause it to become malnourished.

also you mention its a male cat... do some research on the food brand you choose. some will cause bladder infections in male cats which can lead to kidney infection/failure if you don't catch it fast enough. there are a few brands out there which are better than others, and if your cat requires it you can usually get "prescription" grade cat food from the vet.

Good advice. And if you're changing foods, do it gradually. Mix in a little of the new food and slowly transition to all new food. Any sudden change is liable to upset his stomach. Also some cats wolf their food down and barf it right back up. My male cat will occasionally do this. Better to do multiple small meals if possible.
2013-08-26 8:17 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
I repeat the deworming of any kitten with persistent diarrhea, even if fecal exam is negative. False negatives can occur. Deworming would be my first choice in addressing the diarrhea.

PS - Metronidazole is an antibiotic, not a dewormer
2013-08-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up having kitty fast for 12 hours and then started him on boiled chicken breast and rice this morning. I also picked up the metranidazole. He's had one dose of that. Seems a bit better this afternoon and evening. He had one huge diarrhea in the morning but nothing since. I will see if these things help and gradually put him back on the science diet kitten formula. Maybe I should save the Taste of the Wild for when he is older. If the diarrhea doesn't improve I will definately look into deworming. Thanfully he is still very active and not acting sick at all.

I sure can't figure out how to post a pic. :-( Can I do it from my phone?

Edited by desertchica 2013-08-26 9:32 PM

2013-08-27 9:53 AM

User image

I used taste of the wild pretty much exclusively on both my cats and dogs, and both from when they were babies - my german shepherd came with TotW from the breeder (although, I think she has changed now) - he loves going to Tractor Supply Company to get his food because he gets to come in (the goof)

I would say that it is most likely too much too quickly, like others have said.

re: kitten/puppy food - my vet actually recommends against doing those because she feels in the long run they can cause more harm - because they are so high in nutrients - she often sees young animals who weigh too much because they continued to eat that food past when they should (on top of not getting enough exercise)
2013-08-27 5:26 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I just got a kitten too. I got my kitten from a breeder and didn't switch his food around at all. However, first day, he had diarrhea. I waited a couple of days, then took him to the vet. They sent him home with antibiotics and fortiflora and sent his stool out for testing. 

I started him on the antibiotics that day and a day later his stool came back for testing. His stool had already seemed more solid and the sample came back negative. I told the vet that he seemed a bit better already, but they told me to keep him on the antibiotics. I kept him on the antibiotics for 10 days and after about 3 days, no more diarrhea.  It's a week and a half later and still no diarrhea. 

2013-08-27 5:30 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Here's my kitten pic.

(brown boy1.jpg)

(brownboy2.jpg)

(brownboy3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
brown boy1.jpg (82KB - 5 downloads)
brownboy2.jpg (117KB - 4 downloads)
brownboy3.jpg (82KB - 5 downloads)
2013-08-27 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Thanks for sharing. My guy still has diarrhea but it is less frequent and he doesn't seem to be leaking any more. I thin he was sharting. We are on day two of chicken and rice and the metranidazole. He is still a handful and doesn't act sick. I can't wait to see some formed poops!
2013-08-27 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Originally posted by jeng

Here's my kitten pic.

What a cutie!

2013-08-27 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by jeng

Here's my kitten pic.

awesome! looks like a maine coon kitten. should count his toes to confirm, most have a few extra.
2013-08-27 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

We had a cat that had "loose stool" for the entire 7 years we owned him.  Didn't matter what we fed him, medicines we gave him, etc.  Otherwise, a perfectly healthy cat.

It was only a problem when he stepped in it.

Smartest and most ornery cat I've ever met.  Could open doors, both lever-handled and round-handled.

2013-08-28 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

He is a maine coon. I got him from http://ironclaws.com/. His dad is huge, so I'm hoping that he will be as well.

I had no idea of the extra toes. I'll count them tonight.

Edited by jeng 2013-08-28 1:55 PM
2013-08-28 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by desertchica Thanks for sharing. My guy still has diarrhea but it is less frequent and he doesn't seem to be leaking any more. I thin he was sharting. We are on day two of chicken and rice and the metranidazole. He is still a handful and doesn't act sick. I can't wait to see some formed poops!

I hope that he's feeling 100% soon. I guess it takes awhile for kittens to get used to everything.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any vets or cat lovers in the house? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

vet advice - my cat is really fat Pages: 1 2

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 2440 Posts: 34

2013-04-29 12:31 AM DrLeah

Vet/animal peeps: CRF in cats

Started by mmrocker13
Views: 3024 Posts: 25

2012-09-21 10:52 PM bcraht

Taking a cat to the vet