Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pearl Izumi ad, have they finally gone too far. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-08-24 11:23 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: Pearl Izumi ad, have they finally gone too far.
http://www.coloribus.com/adsarchive/prints/pearl-izumi-dog-17895405...

My take:

.....it looks like he is giving his dog some sort of cpr. Are we supposed to think he ran his dog to death. Because I mean, yeah, just about anyone can run a dog to death. They aren't massive cooling machines. Read Born to Run right. Which is a bit ironic because Pearl Izumi seems to imply only fast people who run like an animal could run a dog to death. But I would say any old, say 15 minute mile type could do it. Why didn't they just have a picture of the dog lying in the shade with that kind of "no don't make me go any further" look on his face. I like the run like an animal ads. Actually all of them, I was never really insulted even though I am a slower runner, until this one.

2013-08-24 11:59 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Pearl Izumi ad, have they finally gone too far.
here is the rest of it, some of it is quite funny, the dog cpr not so much.

http://projectemotion.pearlizumi.com
2013-08-25 10:57 AM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
At first glance, I thought, "why is there a runner doing cpr?" Then, it was, "oh, it's because he outran the dog!"

Shortly after, I thought, "are dogs supposed to be good at running distances? Or did the marketers want me to think that?"

Finally, I thought, "cute, the marketers came up with a nice gimmick."

That's all that went through my head. No irateness of dogs dying.
2013-08-25 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
I just showed it to my wife. The image of a dead labrador was horrifying to her, enough that not nly will she remember to never buy their shoes, she may just tell everyone she can to boycott them.

We love labs.

2013-08-25 2:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I'm not a fan. It implies that runners (or maybe just Pearl Izumi runners?) are cruel dog-owners and would run their dog to their death for personal gain.

I mean, I run with a dog and simply can't imagine the day where I put my needs wants - as a human making decisions on behalf of the dog, a member of my family - so far above hers that she dies. Nope.

Edited by lisac957 2013-08-25 2:24 PM
2013-08-25 2:33 PM

User image

Elite

I think its horrible.  That is my first reaction when I saw it.  Why do I want to even think about a dog dying? And how does it relate to shoes?

Something more creative would be "try our shoes. you'll actually want to go out running as much as your lab does".

2013-08-25 2:47 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

You can go to their Facebook page and see the numerous complaints... and their pathetic attempt at an explanation and apology for offending. 

Sick.

2013-08-25 3:36 PM

User image

Elite

Where? I'd like to add to it but don't see it anywhere.

Edit:  I saw it and shared it with my friends not to buy their product.  Its in such bad taste.

Edited by turtlegirl 2013-08-25 3:42 PM
2013-08-25 5:20 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Wow.  That is really, really lame.

I wonder how many people are involved in approving an ad like that.  I have no idea how marketing decisions get made at big companies like that. 

It is really surprising that no one involved stopped that from happening.  Idiots.

2013-08-25 6:24 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

As a huge dog person, once I read what the ad was about I would not even open the link.

I will also have to think really hard before buying one of their products.

2013-08-25 6:33 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by switch

I wonder how many people are involved in approving an ad like that.  I have no idea how marketing decisions get made at big companies like that. 

It is really surprising that no one involved stopped that from happening.  Idiots.

i know, they killed that dog for advertising.

i don't think they had the idea of people actually running their dogs to death when they run in their shoes.

2013-08-25 7:50 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Clempson

i know, they killed that dog for advertising. i don't think they had the idea of people actually running their dogs to death when they run in their shoes.

2013-08-25 8:01 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Originally posted by lisac957

I'm not a fan. It implies that runners (or maybe just Pearl Izumi runners?) are cruel dog-owners and would run their dog to their death for personal gain.

I mean, I run with a dog and simply can't imagine the day where I put my needs wants - as a human making decisions on behalf of the dog, a member of my family - so far above hers that she dies. Nope.

It does?

I think the ad sucks.....and I've had labs for over 40 years.... but I'm not sure I would have ever got there.  That's at least as over the top as the ad as far as I'm concerned. Geez. 

2013-08-25 8:08 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Dumb ad. I get the joke, I just don't think it's funny. I'm not particularly offended, I just came away from it thinking the ad was pretty dumb.

It looks like one of those ideas that was funny to the group of people who were involved in the conversation leading up to the idea, but everyone else looks at it wondering WTF. Sort of like off color jokes that are only funny to those personally involved.

I also wonder how in the heck this made it through the filters.

PI, next time use a chase car that's out of gas. Everybody will get that. Have your marketing guys PM me for where to send the check.
2013-08-25 10:25 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by Left Brain

It does?

I think the ad sucks.....and I've had labs for over 40 years.... but I'm not sure I would have ever got there.  That's at least as over the top as the ad as far as I'm concerned. Geez. 

To me it does. In my mind it would be very cruel for a dog owner to run their dog so far that it collapsed from exhaustion (which is what they claim the ad represented) and required CPR. I'm not sure how it would NOT be considered cruel...?

Or maybe the dog had a pre-existing heart condition and would have collapsed regardless of the activity...

Edited by lisac957 2013-08-25 10:33 PM
2013-08-25 10:35 PM

User image

Pro

It does?

To me it does. In my mind it would be very cruel for a dog owner to run their dog so far that it collapsed from exhaustion (which is what they claim the ad represented) and required CPR. I'm not sure how it would NOT be considered cruel...?

Of course.....did you forget the "personal gain" part?

Look....some idiot came up with what he thought was a good ad....your shoes can outrun your dog....or a dog.  Maybe whoever came up with it wasn't even an idiot, they just had a stupid day.  Unfortunately there was nobody on the team who's filter was working either.  That's all.  It doesn't imply anything other than whatever values you want to assign to it.  I wouldn't get carried away......it doesn't appear there is high intelligence behind it.

2013-08-25 11:10 PM

User image

Pro

Lisa - I'm not sure what the sarcastic font comment that you added in an edit  is supposed to mean, like I said, it appears to be a pretty simple dumb idea for an  ad...."our shoes can outrun a dog". 

If we want to act like there is some correlation to reality then the fact is I, or anyone, can run a high powered lab to death in the right temperatures in about 20 or 30 minutes......and I wouldn't have to run a step to do it....they'll retrieve themselves to death.....it's what they do.

It's a really stupid ad.....that's all.  To assign any kind of deep meaning to it.....like "for personal gain"... is a pretty far reach and starts a dialog that takes away from the original stupidity.  Why give them the ammunition? 

Edited by Left Brain 2013-08-25 11:12 PM
2013-08-26 7:05 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Maybe I'm just a dork, but I didn't see anything wrong with the ad.  It's kind of corny, but I'd say this ranks about 3,958,283,123 on my list of things to be outraged about in the world today.

2013-08-26 7:36 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by tuwood

Maybe I'm just a dork, but I didn't see anything wrong with the ad.  It's kind of corny, but I'd say this ranks about 3,958,283,123 on my list of things to be outraged about in the world today.

Tony, this false dichotomy of acceptance and "outrage" often gets promoted on this board.  I think most of us are saying it's a lame ad and was a bad idea, which, based on the response PI is getting, is true.  I think there's A LOT of room for having a discussion about something and looking at the pros and cons without it being deemed "outrage".

2013-08-26 7:52 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Tony, this false dichotomy of acceptance and "outrage" often gets promoted on this board.  I think most of us are saying it's a lame ad and was a bad idea, which, based on the response PI is getting, is true.  I think there's A LOT of room for having a discussion about something and looking at the pros and cons without it being deemed "outrage".

I'm outraged by your comment, questioning my outrage.  

Maybe "outrage" isn't the right word, but if I were to make a stink about every marketing promotion that I didn't like or thought pushed the boundaries, I'd be a very busy guy.

2013-08-26 8:24 AM

User image

It's a dumb idea, one of those things that make me question whether or not they even attempt to run these past any sort of focus group. I'm not offended enough to boycott, but you know now that I think about it if you're standing there looking at two similar things trying to decide which one to buy maybe it does have an effect much in the same way that I'm not impressed with the fact that apparently Nike has no problem with dog fighting.

2013-08-26 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
PA

Agreed that it does not need to be one or the other.  That said, I know they didn't hurt any animal nor are they condoning animal abuse so even bothering to write and complain is overboard to me.  I have two pups and I love them to death but I shrug the ad off.  I get what they are implying and that's good enough for me.

I'm with Tony on simply accepting it. 

2013-08-26 9:24 AM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I run in Brooks shoes...
2013-08-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Lisa - I'm not sure what the sarcastic font comment that you added in an edit  is supposed to mean, like I said, it appears to be a pretty simple dumb idea for an  ad...."our shoes can outrun a dog". 

If we want to act like there is some correlation to reality then the fact is I, or anyone, can run a high powered lab to death in the right temperatures in about 20 or 30 minutes......and I wouldn't have to run a step to do it....they'll retrieve themselves to death.....it's what they do.

It's a really stupid ad.....that's all.  To assign any kind of deep meaning to it.....like "for personal gain"... is a pretty far reach and starts a dialog that takes away from the original stupidity.  Why give them the ammunition? 

Your're reading way more into my comments than you should. 

2013-08-26 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
PA

Your're reading way more into my comments than you should. 

I thought the dog was simply listening to the ground to see if there was a herd of buffalo running toward them.  The owner was simply holding the dog close to make sure he could pick up everything.  At least that's what I read into your comments.  Was I off?

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pearl Izumi ad, have they finally gone too far. Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

TSA has gone too far Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by LostSheep
Views: 4886 Posts: 81

2010-12-03 8:38 PM jmcconne

Things that suck about having a loved one gone (not sad)

Started by Spokes
Views: 1069 Posts: 9

2009-07-08 8:17 AM wwlani

The way campaign ads are going...

Started by JoshR
Views: 1209 Posts: 12

2008-10-17 7:55 AM PennState

Shimano buys Pearl Izumi

Started by ACGRAY22
Views: 481 Posts: 2

2008-02-19 7:21 PM aarondavidson

How far have you gone? Pages: 1 2

Started by parrj
Views: 1963 Posts: 49

2007-11-15 1:05 PM Matchman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors

date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?
date : September 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Descente, Vision Tech, Pearl Izumi, Saris, CamelBack, BlueSeventy, Blue, GU, Quarq and Shimano.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.