Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pearl Izumi ad, have they finally gone too far. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-08-26 10:17 AM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Pearl Izumi ad, have they finally gone too far.

Man, people are getting worked up easily today!

I agree it is a dumb ad in my opinion. It's OK that people think it is cruel and sends a bad message, especially to dog lovers. I think there are more demanding issues we should get fired up over than an ad where they portray a dog being run to death  ! (Unless they really did run the dog to death, which we all know is pretty unlikely)

2013-08-26 10:42 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

The picture of the dog didn't immediately strike me as him being dead, just tired.

In fact I think the ad would have gone off fine if they hadn't added the CPR. We all know the standard, I am lying here and you aren't going to move me look that dogs like to give. If they had stuck with that I doubt it would have offended anyone. The addition of the CPR seems to imply close to death, that was the bad move IMO. 

2013-08-26 10:45 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Come on BT, they have the disclaimer right at the beginning of the text in that ad: Project E-MOTION isn't for the faint of heart.
2013-08-26 11:59 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Originally posted by tuwood

Maybe I'm just a dork, but I didn't see anything wrong with the ad.  It's kind of corny, but I'd say this ranks about 3,958,283,123 on my list of things to be outraged about in the world today.

^^^THIS^^^^

2013-08-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
I'd just say it's in very poor taste. Dying of heat exhaustion isn't pretty and it's not really something to joke about.

They forgot to add photos of the hemorrhagic vomiting, bloody diarrhea, spontaneous skin bruising, and seizuring that occur when dogs collapse and die from heat stroke and over- exertion.

Edited by SpottedCow 2013-08-26 2:02 PM
2013-08-26 2:03 PM
in reply to: SpottedCow

User image

Extreme Veteran
I AM OUTRAGED!

I am quite certain that they used a dog in that ad with the specific intent of not having to go through a modeling union or guild. I am sure that the male model used in the ad WHO IS PROBABLY NOT EVEN A RUNNER recieved full benefit and has food on the table.

I am willing to bet that the dog did not recieve any royalties from that acting job and was not even given a trust account to have it put into. The animal will most likely have to continue begging for table scraps while the non-running human eats in splendor.

Bastards. Pay the dog.

2013-08-26 2:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
...Bet that dude is a heel-striker.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-08-26 2:05 PM
2013-08-26 2:39 PM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by lifejustice ...Bet that dude is a heel-striker.

That's funny.

---------------------

I still think it's intersting that some of the resposnes here are commenting on "outrage" or in some way commenting on "getting worked up". 

It's my understanding that the point of a board like COJ is to discuss all sorts of random things.  I'm always just happy to see threads about something other than tv shows.

This ad certainly seems like it is in the worthy-of-having-a-discussion-about category.  Why do people say things like "getting worked up" or "outrage" if there's a conversation that is critically discussing something?

2013-08-26 2:43 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by switch

This ad certainly seems like it is in the worthy-of-having-a-discussion-about category.  Why do people say things like "getting worked up" or "outrage" if there's a conversation that is critically discussing something?

x2.
Apparently now having an opinion on BT = being outraged, victimized, or "not getting it." 

2013-08-26 2:52 PM
in reply to: SpottedCow

User image

Pro
Originally posted by SpottedCow

I'd just say it's in very poor taste. Dying of heat exhaustion isn't pretty and it's not really something to joke about.

They forgot to add photos of the hemorrhagic vomiting, bloody diarrhea, spontaneous skin bruising, and seizuring that occur when dogs collapse and die from heat stroke and over- exertion.

In other words, my usual race photos.
2013-08-26 2:54 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly
Originally posted by SpottedCow I'd just say it's in very poor taste. Dying of heat exhaustion isn't pretty and it's not really something to joke about. They forgot to add photos of the hemorrhagic vomiting, bloody diarrhea, spontaneous skin bruising, and seizuring that occur when dogs collapse and die from heat stroke and over- exertion.
In other words, my usual race photos.

winner. thread over.

2013-08-26 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

That's funny.

---------------------

I still think it's intersting that some of the resposnes here are commenting on "outrage" or in some way commenting on "getting worked up". 

It's my understanding that the point of a board like COJ is to discuss all sorts of random things.  I'm always just happy to see threads about something other than tv shows.

Stop yelling at me. I understand you are upset, but tone it down a notch or two. 

2013-08-26 4:44 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Chicago
I think it's in extremely poor taste but honestly if it were a child, I would've totally laughed. `It's funny cuz kids can't run very far hahahaha.'

Wait, could I have laughed if it were a child, considering I don't have children?
2013-08-26 5:21 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by mr2tonyI think it's in extremely poor taste but honestly if it were a child, I would've totally laughed. `It's funny cuz kids can't run very far hahahaha.' Wait, could I have laughed if it were a child, considering I don't have children?
Bwahahahahahahaaaaano.
2013-08-26 5:22 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Aarondb4

That's funny.

---------------------

Stop yelling at me. I understand you are upset, but tone it down a notch or two. 

It's that famous middle ground again. Shocking, I know ;)
2013-08-26 5:37 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony I think it's in extremely poor taste but honestly if it were a child, I would've totally laughed. `It's funny cuz kids can't run very far hahahaha.' Wait, could I have laughed if it were a child, considering I don't have children?

Outrageous!!

2013-08-26 6:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Where's the outrage for "Weekend at Bernies?" That was a human,how could they? Shameful ....aw relax, Im sure the dog had a great time and got loads of scoobie snacks for the photo shoot.
I love dogs, and take no offense to this ad.
You know what would be cool, a mother in law ad.. there ya go Pearl, free idea for ya.
2013-08-26 6:23 PM
in reply to: mxr746

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by mxr746Where's the outrage for "Weekend at Bernies?" That was a human,how could they? Shameful ....aw relax, Im sure the dog had a great time and got loads of scoobie snacks for the photo shoot. I love dogs, and take no offense to this ad. You know what would be cool, a mother in law ad.. there ya go Pearl, free idea for ya.
And again another awesome comment about outrage when there is none. It's called a discussion. I know it's a difficult concept for some people to grasp. Maybe it's just a dude thing. Dunno. Now, if you'd like to really see outrage, tell me to "relax" (regardless of my state of being) if we ever meet. I would be happy to provide you with an example of outrage.
2013-08-26 6:25 PM
in reply to: mxr746

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I barely pay mind to advertisements in the first place.  I would have no clue what was implied if I saw the ad and didn't read this thread.  My mind would have registered "man with hands on dog laying down" in the 0.2 seconds my eyes swept over the page page.

After being told what it implied.  I still don't care that much.  I can't say I "like" the ad but bigger things to worry about.  Probable in poor taste, but I care about it as much as any advertising, witch is next to nothing.

2013-08-26 8:07 PM

User image

NC

Now, if you'd like to really see outrage, tell me to "relax" (regardless of my state of being) if we ever meet.

Frankie says relax.

2013-08-26 8:15 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by switch Now, if you'd like to really see outrage, tell me to "relax" (regardless of my state of being) if we ever meet.
Frankie says relax.

Naughty. Naughty.

Besides, relaxing doesn't work for me there either.

2013-08-27 8:04 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by mxr746Where's the outrage for "Weekend at Bernies?" That was a human,how could they? Shameful ....aw relax, Im sure the dog had a great time and got loads of scoobie snacks for the photo shoot. I love dogs, and take no offense to this ad. You know what would be cool, a mother in law ad.. there ya go Pearl, free idea for ya.
And again another awesome comment about outrage when there is none. It's called a discussion. I know it's a difficult concept for some people to grasp. Maybe it's just a dude thing. Dunno. Now, if you'd like to really see outrage, tell me to "relax" (regardless of my state of being) if we ever meet. I would be happy to provide you with an example of outrage.

That sounds like someone is getting worked up to me....

2013-08-27 8:13 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jford2309

That sounds like someone is getting worked up to me....

lo...yeah by dudes being dbags. Not about an ad. I have a very low dbag threshold.
2013-08-27 8:23 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Kido

I barely pay mind to advertisements in the first place.  I would have no clue what was implied if I saw the ad and didn't read this thread.  My mind would have registered "man with hands on dog laying down" in the 0.2 seconds my eyes swept over the page page.

After being told what it implied.  I still don't care that much.  I can't say I "like" the ad but bigger things to worry about.  Probable in poor taste, but I care about it as much as any advertising, witch is next to nothing.

I find that 99% of all advertising either makes no sense to me or is just stupid. But I don't get worked up about it, it's just an ad.

I think some of the SPCA ads are in poor taste too. I mean, who wants to look at Sarah McLachan?
2013-08-27 9:29 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

NC
I was going to post that I don't get worked up by it, but realized that me posting that comment is getting about as worked up about it as the people I previously thought were getting overly worked up about it so now I'm confused.

I've got about 388,986 other things I should worry about, but none of those really merit me posting about it on the internet, so I'm rethinking my ranking system.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pearl Izumi ad, have they finally gone too far. Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

TSA has gone too far Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by LostSheep
Views: 4898 Posts: 81

2010-12-03 8:38 PM jmcconne

Things that suck about having a loved one gone (not sad)

Started by Spokes
Views: 1069 Posts: 9

2009-07-08 8:17 AM wwlani

The way campaign ads are going...

Started by JoshR
Views: 1210 Posts: 12

2008-10-17 7:55 AM PennState

Shimano buys Pearl Izumi

Started by ACGRAY22
Views: 483 Posts: 2

2008-02-19 7:21 PM aarondavidson

How far have you gone? Pages: 1 2

Started by parrj
Views: 1971 Posts: 49

2007-11-15 1:05 PM Matchman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors

date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?
date : September 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Descente, Vision Tech, Pearl Izumi, Saris, CamelBack, BlueSeventy, Blue, GU, Quarq and Shimano.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.