Other Resources Injuries & Health Issues » ACL Reconstruction/Recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: Socks, DerekL, Ron Reply
2013-08-25 8:47 AM

Boise
Subject: ACL Reconstruction/Recovery
I am a "BOPer" having done my first HIM this past June and a couple weeks ago I had the ACL in my right knee "reconstructed". I know there are a few pages out there about that, but my story is at www.amazingpowerplunger.com/kenb
My plan/goal is to recover over the Fall/Winter and participate in my local Boise IronMan 70.3 again... in 287 days.
Just looking to compare notes with others that have had the same thing done, and some milestones and goals as far as strength/flexibility and expectations for the next few months.
Hopefully it will be helpful to some other people in my similar situation.

2013-08-30 7:55 PM
in reply to: mcfly6667

User image

Champion
Plantation
Gold member
Subject: RE: ACL Reconstruction/Recovery
You should be good to go in 287 days.  No running for 3 months, the graft is not strong enough.  Swim when the incisions are healed, biking when you can make a revolution.  DO YOUR PT diligently.  This is the most important part of your recovery.  By 6 weeks PO most people have a full pain free ROM and no swelling but I have some outliers to either side.
2013-10-05 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
I had my acl done about 15 years ago. It was very depressing, but once you are able to start making full revolutions on the bike you know you are on your way. Each day it will get stronger. I didn't do triathlons back then, but I did play soccer. I had it done in October and went back to playing in May/ June. It took some time to get used to that, but I would imagine you should be back to triathlon way before since you don't have to cut in and out. like soccer You will have plenty of time to rehab and do your half. Once you can get on the bike, just keep going. The bike fitness will carry over. Good luck! I don't wish ACL rehab on anyone, but you are prob through the worst part now
2013-10-13 5:48 PM

Hi,

I had ACL and posterlateral corner reconstruction in early May. I was able to get full rotation on the PT bike pretty early -- maybe 2 weeks after surgery. I was riding the bike at the gym as soon as my brace got unlocked (3 weeks PO) and was running after my doc gave me the all clear at 3 months PO. In the beginning I had to shorten my stride quite a bit and really think about running evenly with the 'bad' and 'good' leg, but now I'm 5 months PO and feeling great with no problems.

I should add that early on the recumbent bike felt better than the upright -- I was just trying to get in 30 minutes so I wouldn't go crazy so I didn't really care what I was doing, just that I was doing something. I did get some funny looks going into the gym in my giant knee brace!
New Thread
Other Resources Injuries & Health Issues » ACL Reconstruction/Recovery Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Knee Reconstruction Surgery to Recovery

Started by joezer3003
Views: 752 Posts: 3

2011-01-28 1:54 PM spudone

Ironman and ACL Reconstruction?

Started by dangitdake
Views: 1776 Posts: 7

2010-12-16 4:23 PM aggiecatcher

how long after acl reconstruction?

Started by Rattlesnake
Views: 3251 Posts: 6

2009-12-04 7:31 PM sma777

Old ACL Reconstruction Pain Returning

Started by adgradiology
Views: 645 Posts: 2

2009-03-17 11:28 AM 90RevolutionsPT

ACL Reconstruction and ITBS

Started by high_tower
Views: 617 Posts: 2

2008-01-29 12:36 PM badnews
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 8, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
A few weeks ago I tore the MCL and ACL in my right knee and the LCL in my left knee in an accident. Can I returned to triathlon? What would that entail?

date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?
date : February 6, 2012
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?
date : April 7, 2011
Is it possible to compete in triathlon after an ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair?

date : November 12, 2008
Am I crazy to want to still pursue tri, or is it fair to assume that my body will tell me when enough is enough and enjoy it/use it until such time comes to pass?
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.