General Discussion Triathlon Talk » River roux 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-25 10:00 AM

User image

Andover, KS
Subject: River roux 2013
I'm thinking of coming down for River Roux in November from out of state. Is it still pretty warm and humid that time of year? Windy? The bike course profile on mapmyride looks fairly tame, with no major climbs. Are the roads in pretty decent shape? Any other thoughts on this race, beyond the brief summaries below? I've never been in this part of the world, so no idea what to expect.

2013-08-27 3:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Subject: RE: River roux 2013
I volunteered at this race last year and it was very mild, beautiful weather, not too hot or cool. But you never know, Louisiana weather is very unpredictable. I did a race in October of the same year and it was 39 degrees outside

If I'm not mistaken the roads were hilly, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure of the conditions of the road.

Edited by DigitalRain 2013-08-27 3:23 PM
2013-08-27 5:08 PM
in reply to: DigitalRain

User image

Andover, KS
Thanks for the info. I would much rather race at 39 degrees that 89! I really hope I can make it down.

Are you thinking about racing it this year?
2013-08-27 5:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
No I don't have the time to train But I did win a half off entry fee to River Roux at a party given by Baton Rouge Tri Club a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can pass it on, and if so I'll send you the code if you are interested.

Edited by DigitalRain 2013-08-27 5:40 PM
2013-10-02 6:02 AM
in reply to: mc_charles

I did this race last year and it was excellent. Well managed and a fantastic course. The only concern for wind is crossing the audobon bridge. By the time you get on the run, you will be in direct sunlight, as there isn't much shade on the run. All in all, an excellent event and I look forward to doing again.
2014-01-24 11:39 AM
in reply to: buck_shot11

I did the 2013 race. The swim was well layed out. Enter the water down a boat ramp and exit up another boat ramp. There was carpet on the exit so it was not slippery. There were many volunteers to assist in transition. On the way out on the bike there is a set of rail road tracks that are not perpendicular to the road and cross at an angle. As I was riding up to them a biker had caught his wheel in the grooves and flipped. I think there should have been more of a warning about this or re-routing the course around the tracks to a more favorable crossing area. Going over the new bridge was very nice, and the ride through St. Francisville was awesome. The course is by no means flat. But there are no real big climbs either. The rollers are relentless though. The aid stations weren't quite at the mile markers the coordinators had mentioned, but they weren't too far off either, just a few miles each. On the way back crossing the bridge wasn't too bad. It is probably the highest climb of the day, but all in all not bad. At the bottom of the bridge, the course takes a left turn. On the way out a policeman was stationed there to direct bikers. On the way back, there was nobody directing traffic or bikers. There was also no turn sign or anything indicating a turn. A guy ahead of me a few hundred yards went by the turn, then a guy I was riding with (legal distance apart) and myself passed the turn. We went about a mile down the road, slowed down, and noticed a group of about 8 guys following us. We formed a small group and rode through New Roads asking anyone how to get back to the mill. We all rode an extra 5 miles before finding transition. All the other previous turns were clearly marked except the one we passed up. I also heard closer to T2 there were a couple more turns not clearly marked and several people went different routes. Not nearly adding 5 miles to their trip but a little. The run was very nice. There were aid stations every mile or so.

This race definitly needs better coordination on the bike course.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » River roux 2013 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

River Roux Pages: 1 2

Started by buck_shot11
Views: 1888 Posts: 38

2012-11-18 6:30 PM GaryRM

Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by CBarnes
Views: 4677 Posts: 31

2007-08-04 9:41 AM CBarnes

Dinner the Night before River Cities Ver 2

Started by mnewton
Views: 1973 Posts: 24

2006-08-07 6:57 AM Sharona1973

Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by Biseman
Views: 6514 Posts: 46

2006-08-04 8:30 PM Sharona1973

Dinner the night before River Cities

Started by mnewton
Views: 1842 Posts: 15

2006-06-13 8:48 PM OldAg92
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 5, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on river swims, speedsuits, road bike at IMKY, FOP IM pointers, saddle positioning, run8/walk2 method, treadmill to outside running, heelstriking and HRM on race day.