General Discussion Race Reports! » Pittsfield Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pittsfield Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
United States
Pittsfield Family YMCA
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 44s
Overall Rank = 7/58
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special - got up at 4:15, coffee and bagel with PB on the ride. Pittsfield is where I grew up, so I wanted to do this race for nostalgic reasons. I swam at Onota Lake as a kid. Got there early as usual, and couldn't figure out where the race was! No signs, couldn't see racks, etc. Saw a couple other athletes and they were in the same situation. Finally found a guy setting up who knew where we should park. So, parked, picked up packet and started getting organized. It was "open rack" so I picked out a spot strategically and marked my territory. I didn't know at the time that this was going to be the smallest race (attendence wise) that I've ever done and I would pratically have a rack to myself.
Event warmup:

Went to the shore to do some swimming - the lake looked beautiful - much nicer than I remember as a kid. The water temperature was very nice, better than the air - it was in the 40's when I arrived. Anyway, I looked around and then saw my Dad walking across the field - he's 88 years old - what a great surprise. I expected my sister, but didn't think Dad would be up that early. Anyway, said hi, etc... Then swam a bit - didn't want to get out of the water, it was so nice. Annoucements, National Anthem.....
Swim
  • 16m 2s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wave start with 2 groups - guys then girls. Minor contact in first 50 yards, then clear swimming through the rest. Even felt lonely - just a bit different from LPIM. Had no sense about my place at the time, but felt like I was keeping a good pace. Saw a guy way ahead - turns out he's some super swimmer - did a 11:36 and beat everyone by about 3 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - considering I was in tri shorts and top (no wet suit) I thought I did ok.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Not bad, no wet suit, so pretty quick.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 42m 45s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, with such a small group, it was tough to tell where I was. I passed a couple of guys right away, then went back and forth with the same guy through the rest of the race.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Trouble with race belt, but otherwise fine.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 57s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Was worried about my knee, but did fine. A bit slower than I'd like, but considering the lack of running since ironman, not bad.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and hung out with my sister and Dad. Had no idea where I finished until results were posted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee was a bit gimpy on the run, and in general, I haven't trained since Ironman. So my expectations were low.

Event comments:

A nice local race done by Pittsfield YMCA. Courses were well marked and plenty of volunteers at the turns. The free food offered by the "Wrap" truck at the end was nice - I had a cheeseburger. The venue was very nice - a couple of signs directing first timers like me would have helped. Not sure why their attendance was down, but I would do this again.

Last updated: 2013-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:02 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 9/58
Performance: Average
Suit: No wet suit, tri shorts and top.
Course: Rectangle - out straight, across and back into shore in front of transition area.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:54
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:45 | 14.5 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Overall: 6/58
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 loops with some rolling hills. A couple of reasonable climbs.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:57 | 05 kms | 04m 59s  min/km
Overall: 16/58
Course: Lollipop with two loops. One killer hill that was done twice in the loop and part on uneven ground through the woods. Nice course, but worried about my knee.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-25 10:06 AM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Pittsfield Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pittsfield Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by Tkimble01
Views: 1378 Posts: 1

2010-06-28 3:07 PM Tkimble01

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by fcrellin791
Views: 1296 Posts: 1

2009-05-17 1:37 PM fcrellin791

Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon

Started by pbarbato
Views: 1338 Posts: 2

2006-06-08 6:44 AM drdi

Greenwood Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon

Started by barqhead
Views: 1552 Posts: 3

2006-05-07 5:50 PM gullahcracker

Greenwood Family YMCA sprint triathlon

Started by barqhead
Views: 1090 Posts: 3

2005-04-17 10:58 PM StartingToTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.
date : February 28, 2005
author : mamakt
Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.

date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 1
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.