General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad training day yesterday, tips for getting confidence before HIM in two weeks. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-26 5:26 AM

Subject: Bad training day yesterday, tips for getting confidence before HIM in two weeks.
I'm currently training for my first HIM (Pumpkinman in two weeks) and yesterday was just a day full of training screw ups. After some really rough weeks doing OWS practice, I finally was feeling good about things (last two Sundays had been great). Yesterday, for whatever reason, I could not get my breathing down, had to go back to throwing some breast stroke in, couldn't get my sighting (I was all over the pond-probably added an extra quarter mile to my swim) and although I battled through it, it was not confidence building at all.

Then it was on to what should have been my last, biggest/longest ride pre-race. Last week, I had a bike fitting and added aero bars (really needed to get them solely for position change possibilities since I have some lingering issues from a broken hand this spring- not looking for added speed, just want to be used to them before race). The past week has gone well on them, had a couple of great rides, but from the start yesterday I could not get comfortable in aero at all. I just felt off the whole ride. Then came "almost" disaster- car passed a little close, swerved a little then hit a pothole. Small crash ensued which I have a few scratches but amazingly not really hurt. Bike didn't fare as well but a really nice guy (Vince from Sudbury- thanks Vince!!!) stopped, helped me fix the bike up at least enough to get back to my car. I only managed about half my ride before the wreck.

So, now I'm feeling like my confidence is kind of shot, nervous about the swim and the bike, bummed because I know I won't get that last long ride in before race day (have to get the bike fixed this week and I'm smart enough to realize I should try to go pound out a really long ride next weekend right as it would be too close to the tri). If anyone has words of wisdom or ideas to boost my confidence up pre-race, I would really appreciate it!!!

Thanks all,

Melissa

2013-08-26 5:59 AM
in reply to: Mellie03

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Bad training day yesterday, tips for getting confidence before HIM in two weeks.
Well, I'd look at it this way: life threw a few wrenches at you this weekend, and you still managed to get through it pretty much unscathed. You sound to me like someone who finds a way to get through whatever is thrown at you.

If you've done the training, nothing that you do in these two weeks is going to make all that big a difference in your race. What you did 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 weeks ago makes much more difference. Don't sweat it.

Get out for another OWS if possible. Don't worry about popping up for some breast stroke -- just don't kick anybody in the gut!
2013-08-26 7:45 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Bad training day yesterday, tips for getting confidence before HIM in two weeks.

I would second everything that Michael said. He knows what he's talking about;)

It's really normal to have these doubts before a new distance.  Really normal:)  Success in these longer races is often determined by a combination of hard work and staying calm and thinking clearly when things don't go as planned (and they probably won't).  I think it sounds like you are the kind of person who can handle the unexpectedness of race day  like a champ!

When in doubt, take deep breaths, remember that we do this for fun, and let the gratitude of being able to toe the line see you through the end of the day:)

2013-08-26 8:07 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by Experior

What you did 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 weeks ago makes much more difference. Don't sweat it.

+1
Training is like that. Some days are great, many just average, and sometimes they're just lousy. Good luck on your race, you'll do fine!
2013-08-26 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
I always like to think of it this way... you got all of the terrible things out of your system before race day!

Facing some adversity during your training can actually be pretty good for your mental state come race day. You crashed your bike - but you got up, got the bike fixed with some help, and got back on and rode it again. That is HUGE. You battled through a rough swim rather than let the panic overtake you. I'd say you should let these events boost your confidence!
2013-08-26 9:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming I always like to think of it this way... you got all of the terrible things out of your system before race day! Facing some adversity during your training can actually be pretty good for your mental state come race day. You crashed your bike - but you got up, got the bike fixed with some help, and got back on and rode it again. That is HUGE. You battled through a rough swim rather than let the panic overtake you. I'd say you should let these events boost your confidence!

x2.  Well said.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2013-08-26 9:47 AM

2013-08-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I'll echo what the others have said on here...

1) You've done the base training and that will carry you through on race day

2) Yes, you had a small crash with your bike, but you got back up and got back onto your bike.  That's a HUGE win IMO

3) You battled through a rough swim - also a HUGE win.

It's all in how you look at stuff, let these things bring UP your confidence level! 

2013-08-26 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Sorry to hear about the misfortune.

How would you prepare your race strategy if your longest ride was 40 miles?

Isn't that basically what you've done? (I haven't checked your logs).

You're not so injured that you cannot compete. So put together your race strategy on what your training has been for the past month. Spend the next week or so continuing to work out. Get as much time riding 45-60 minutes at a time as you can so your muscles are mostly adapted to the new riding position.

Focus on positive outcomes whether you swim, bike, or run.

Focus on positive outcomes BEFORE you swim, bike, or run.

In the future, save bike position adjustments for the off season.
2013-08-26 2:45 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by switch

I would second everything that Michael said. He knows what he's talking about

It's really normal to have these doubts before a new distance.  Really normal  Success in these longer races is often determined by a combination of hard work and staying calm and thinking clearly when things don't go as planned (and they probably won't).  I think it sounds like you are the kind of person who can handle the unexpectedness of race day  like a champ!

When in doubt, take deep breaths, remember that we do this for fun, and let the gratitude of being able to toe the line see you through the end of the day

I am getting a little nervous before my first HIM in October and reading this really calmed me down and made me feel like I will be ok and will finish. Thanks Switch!!
2013-08-26 5:21 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Thanks to all for the support and help. Elaine, good point on thinking I got some of the potential bad thing out of the way before race day- I had been thinking that things had gone really smoothly the past couple of weeks, I suppose I was due a bad session! Will try to look at it as now I know how to handle it if these things come up during the race.

I've never been great during tapers to marathons (I'm just an anxious mess and have to stop myself from going out and running "just a few more miles" that I know won't help at that point). Clearly the taper period for this HIM is going to be the same!

Thanks again for the help. The BT forum has many kind & helpful people and I appreciate your patience with my newbie panic attack :-)
2013-08-26 5:45 PM

User image

Expert
So sorry you experienced such a bad training day. You should sit down and read over your logs and all your posts since you started training for this race. Pay attention to the victories and those times when you overcame challenges and become stronger as a result. You will over come yesterday and have a great race.

I'm doing the sprint so I'll be cheering you on as you cross the finish line.

2013-08-27 8:25 AM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Melissa - I intentionally didn't read the other responses so I wouldn't be swayed, but it sounds like you should be super confident.

Swim: the Pumpkinman swim will definitely throw something unexpected at you. Your last training swim was a struggle, you regrouped, and kept going. That is the key for your tri swim.

Bike: You had a crash, and can live to tell about it. Now you are a cycling vet. Something unexpected will happen during the bike portion of the Pumpkinman and you can bounce back form it since you already bounced back form a crash. I remember when I added my aero bars (24 hours before my first HIM), and I didn't know how different they would be. Take these few weeks and just do several shorter rides but spend some time in aero position and getting comfortable.

One other piece of advice that I got from ZenTri was to think through the list of bad things that could happen, and think through your reaction to them...bad weather, hit in swim, flat tires, cramps etc. Don't dwell on them, but think about them and then if they happen, you can take them in stride.

I have some buddies that do Pumpkinman each year and love it. I'm guessing you'll have a great race if you just relax and trust yourself.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad training day yesterday, tips for getting confidence before HIM in two weeks. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two Tri's In Two Weeks w/ One week of Training

Started by XCtoTri
Views: 2427 Posts: 13

2012-08-13 11:55 AM XCtoTri

Drunk driver kills two cyclist, only gets two years in prison Pages: 1 2

Started by jason45
Views: 2941 Posts: 28

2009-12-19 10:54 AM Houstonrider

Sort of did a my first Sprint yesterday next in 2 weeks need training advice

Started by PlaywithZoe
Views: 667 Posts: 4

2009-08-03 11:00 PM PlaywithZoe

Two weeks 'till race day

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 677 Posts: 4

2007-07-01 12:13 PM zipp1

2 weeks + 2 days until iron...taper tips!

Started by Comet
Views: 984 Posts: 18

2005-10-06 11:04 AM tmwelshy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 1
Trying to figure out how to fit all of your weekly training sessions in? This guide will show the best ways to schedule your two-a-day workouts.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
comments : 0
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
Here’s a couple of tactics that I have found VERY helpful when it comes to my early morning workouts…hopefully, at least one of them will work for you too!

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.