General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good luck Hy-Vee racers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-27 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Good luck Hy-Vee racers
Wish I was going. It's a great time. Be sure to yell hello to the booze hounds at mullets bar on the run course. It's by the big red bridge, can't miss it.

2013-08-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: jlpete98

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Good luck Hy-Vee racers

Thanks!  Not sure we get to that bridge with the new run course.  They changed things around and the start/finish are all at Gray's Lake.  Plus, the pros go off right before we do so we won't get to see their race.  Kind of a bummer and what made the race really unique.  But it is such a high class event that it is hard to pass up.

Pete, are you sure you don't want to go up with us and be our race support?  I would just be worried that the water cup you hand me on the run would be full of vodka.

2013-08-29 10:38 AM
in reply to: Jayhox

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by Jayhox

Thanks!  Not sure we get to that bridge with the new run course.  They changed things around and the start/finish are all at Gray's Lake.  Plus, the pros go off right before we do so we won't get to see their race.  Kind of a bummer and what made the race really unique.  But it is such a high class event that it is hard to pass up.

Pete, are you sure you don't want to go up with us and be our race support?  I would just be worried that the water cup you hand me on the run would be full of vodka.

Who else on here is headed to Des Moines? Reese? Anyone?

It is one of my goals to qualify for this in the next few years.
2013-08-29 11:04 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'm in. I'm meeting Patrick (Jayhox) and his wife at a local Starbucks Sat morning before we caravan up to Des Moines.

I'm really looking forward to the event and my 2nd BOP finish
2013-08-29 12:05 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS
I'm heading up Saturday as well, and I know of 3 others that are heading up from the OP area also.
2013-08-29 12:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hoping for a top 5 finish in AG, but you never know who will show up or who moved up into your age group from the year before.  No wetsuits on the swim should help my cause.

Edited by Jayhox 2013-08-29 12:19 PM

2013-08-29 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Looking at the start lists there are a lot of people from JoCo and the KC metro area doing this race.
2013-08-29 7:29 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Good Luck everyone! Make us proud...haha
2013-09-01 9:43 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by m.a.burghart

Good Luck everyone! Make us proud...haha

Soooo....where are the reports??? I can see the times, but they don't tell the *story*? I'm disappointed none of you ran down Gomez.
2013-09-03 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Reece and I had good days, respecitvely!  Reece and his daughter followed my wife and me up to Des Moines.  Got up there late morning on Saturday and headed straight to packet pickup.  Sat through the (worthless) mandatory meeting and headed up to the expo.  Once again sweet SWAG with a nice visor (could have selected a cap instead) and a bike jearsey.  The vendor list was smaller than last year.  Walked across the street for some cajun food -- jambalaya!

Headed back to the hotel to unpack the car.  Reece and I headed over to Gray's Lake and checked out the scene.  Start/Finish all at the same location made for much better logistics.  Too bad they moved the pro race to the same time as our race.  Hadd too much fun watching them last year during post-race beverages.  Oh well.  It was hot, but not 100+ like the previous 2 weeks.  Reece and I grabbed a short ride to check out some of the course and headed back to the hotel.  Picked up the girls and headed back to Gray's Lake for bike check-in.  Had dinner at a local brewhouse.  Heiffe Weiss was on special so I had my usual 2 beers to help me sleep that night.  

Woke up at 4:30am to heavy rain and winds.  And lightning.  Thankfully the race director had e-mails and facebook updates that the start would be delayed and transition would stay open longer.  That took some nervousness out of things.  Plenty of time to get setup.  Rain stopped about the time the sun was starting to rise.  Winds died down and it was nice and cool.  We made the walk around the lake to the new start location.  Water was reported to be 85 degrees.  I had my swimskin.  National anthem took about half as long as the one in Milwaukee and they had fireworks at the end.  Very cool.  Reece and I jumped in for a short warmup after the pros had taken off and the water was NOT 85 degrees.  It was actually cooler and I didn't really even notice it during the swim.

Our wave rolled around and I got to the front row with Reece right behind me.  Horn sounded and we were off!  I sprinted for about 100-150 meters and had a few people hanging with me.  Surprisingly, as I dropped down to my race pace the others dropped way back.  Swim was uneventful for me as the people I passed in the two wave before me were generally spread out enough to maneuver through.  First blue cap out of the water by about 19 seconds, so the swim was a success.

Swim:  21:05  1st in division, 5th overall non-Elite, beat 

T1 was fine but the run to the mount line felt like it was about 1250 meters, which is only 10 meters farther than the run from the water to the bike.  :-)

The bike was good.  The wind had picked by then and became a factor later in the bike.  But was generally at our backs on the way out to the far turnaround.  I stayed out of trouble and had a generally clear course for most of ride.  Pushed through the windy/hilly prtion about 2/3 of the way through the bike course and finished strong but with something left in the tank.

Bike:  1:03:17  23.4mph average, 9th in division, 40th overall non-Elite

T2 was nice and quick (for me) and I was off without a hitch.

The run started well.  I usually need a mile or so to feel "right" after T2, but this time I had a good stride from the beginning.  I wanted to keep my run pace under 7:00 for each mile and was able to do that.  There was very little traffic around me so I didn't have anyone to pace off of to help pull me along -- so I was pushing myself.  First mile was about a 6:35 and I was feeling good so that helped motivate me.  Mile 2 was flat to downhill with a nice cooling breexe.  Mile 3 sucked because it was starting back a bit uphill and without a cooling breeze.  Mile 4 was all about maintaining and not crapping out.  Mile 5 I found a second wind and picked it up.  Mile 6 was all about being back near transition and the finish line so I was on pure adrenaline.  The last 1/4 mile to the finish I caught a guy and he wanted to race.  I won.  >:-)  Love the finish line at HyVee even though they tease you by running you near the finish line then send you out for another 1/2 mile out and back to the tape.

Run:  42:26   6:48/mi average (give or take), 10th in division

Overall:  2:10:32   6th in division, 32nd overall non-Elite, beat 8 of the Elites

Post-race was full of great food and talking to all of the other local racers.  I won a $300 gift certificate for taking 6th in my age group.  Beers and dinner Sunday afternoon and evening.  Good times!

Ran 7 miles last night as a "body inventory" leading up to the 70.3 Worlds in Vegas.  Run went well with no nagging muscles, so I think I am ready.  Will do a decent bike tonight and rest the remainder of the week with some short workouts between traveling, all of the athlete events, blackjack, and doing recon of the course.  CAN'T WAIT!!!

2013-09-03 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
You are a beast, congrats on the great race. Look for more results like this from vegas

2013-09-04 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Great race jayhox! Good luck this weekend. Sounds like a fun week of triathlon.

My buddy got a 6 minute penalty at Hy Vee. But he's not sure why. In fact, he didn't even know about it until he got home and looked his official time and saw the penalty. I'm assuming it was for being in the draft zone. Do you think that is likely?
2013-09-04 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Fantastic race for those who haven't done it yet. I highly recommend it. Patrick represented us well. The 50-54 year olds from our neck of the woods brought the house down, Frees and Dippold destroyed their respective age groups. That Holland Smith girl won her age group with her dad finishing top 10 (I know this since he's in my AG). Dan (kchawknut) took 3rd in the Clyde under 39 division. The State of Kansas did very well overall. Of course it's only a 3.5 hour drive for many of us sot that makes it convenient.

Hopefully I can get my run going/stay injury free this off-season and put up a more respectable time. I held back some on the bike which I DO NOT like to do but I didn't want a miserable run that day. I was high-fiving the rowdy beer drinking guys on the bike course. They got a kick out of that.
2013-09-04 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by dprocket

Great race jayhox! Good luck this weekend. Sounds like a fun week of triathlon.

My buddy got a 6 minute penalty at Hy Vee. But he's not sure why. In fact, he didn't even know about it until he got home and looked his official time and saw the penalty. I'm assuming it was for being in the draft zone. Do you think that is likely?

The course monitors were out in force. There was a guy in front of me that was pretty much on the wheel of the guy in front of him and when the motorcycle passed me, they rang a little bell when they went by him. Later on, the same guy was being passed on the left, do you know what he did???? He veered LEFT and got right on the wheel of the guy passing him. Guess what? The motorcycle was coming up behind me. The bell rang once again.

I mainted 4-5 bike lengths behind people A few times on hills the person in front would slow down so I just broke aero, sat up and took a drink or something to fall back to the required distance. Drafting was not to be tolerated on this day.
2013-09-05 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Could have been drafting or not getting out of the draft zone before re-overtaking someone who passed him.  Sometimes you are so worried about not drafting that you forget that you have to get out of the draft zone before going back around someone who just passed you then died going up a hill.  At least . . . . that is what I have been told . . . . Embarassed
2013-09-05 11:48 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by reecealan

Dan (kchawknut) took 3rd in the Clyde under 39 division.

I was high-fiving the rowdy beer drinking guys on the bike course.

Thanks for the shout out. I told people I lost my amateur status (i.e. went pro) since I got paid...after all, that is the big issue with college football as of late !

I thought about high fiving Gumby, but was afraid he might fall on me .

Once again sweet SWAG with a nice visor (could have selected a cap instead) and a bike jearsey.

WHAT?! I didn't get anything. I must have missed this whole table while leaving check out, because I didn't get a chip strap either (had to get it morning of the race). Was all this stuff at that table leaving packet pickup?

2013-09-05 11:54 AM
in reply to: kchawknut

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by kchawknut
Originally posted by reecealan Dan (kchawknut) took 3rd in the Clyde under 39 division. I was high-fiving the rowdy beer drinking guys on the bike course.
Thanks for the shout out. I told people I lost my amateur status (i.e. went pro) since I got paid...after all, that is the big issue with college football as of late ! I thought about high fiving Gumby, but was afraid he might fall on me .
Once again sweet SWAG with a nice visor (could have selected a cap instead) and a bike jearsey.
WHAT?! I didn't get anything. I must have missed this whole table while leaving check out, because I didn't get a chip strap either (had to get it morning of the race). Was all this stuff at that table leaving packet pickup?

If you just kept moving down the line during packet pickup, you would have been able to select between a cap and visor, grab your bike jersey, and get a nice backpack.  Did you miss all of that?  The chip straps were on the tale right where you scanned your chip upon exiting the area.

I thought about high-fiving you on the run but was afraid you might fall on me.  Laughing

2013-09-05 12:16 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Jayhox

Originally posted by kchawknut
Originally posted by reecealan Dan (kchawknut) took 3rd in the Clyde under 39 division. I was high-fiving the rowdy beer drinking guys on the bike course.
Thanks for the shout out. I told people I lost my amateur status (i.e. went pro) since I got paid...after all, that is the big issue with college football as of late ! I thought about high fiving Gumby, but was afraid he might fall on me .

If you just kept moving down the line during packet pickup, you would have been able to select between a cap and visor, grab your bike jersey, and get a nice backpack.  Did you miss all of that?  The chip straps were on the tale right where you scanned your chip upon exiting the area.

I thought about high-fiving you on the run but was afraid you might fall on me.  Laughing

Crap...I missed out I guess. I've e-mailed the rd to see if they can mail it my way.

It's the small people like you that fly by me on the course, so yeah...I wouldn't have felt bad falling on you !

Good luck at the 70.3!
2013-09-05 4:13 PM
in reply to: kchawknut

User image

Extreme Veteran

Reece and me after the race:

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good luck Hy-Vee racers Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Where's the best place to buy a bike for the best price

Started by Jakechayes
Views: 1821 Posts: 16

2013-06-07 11:21 AM thepaul500

Good used 50 CM Bike

Started by odrunr
Views: 897 Posts: 3

2013-03-05 6:20 PM montyzooma

Good luck to Reece at Branson!

Started by Jayhox
Views: 1240 Posts: 19

2012-09-27 10:24 PM reecealan

Good luck at Hyvee this weekend

Started by joncolbybohnsack
Views: 1633 Posts: 20

2012-09-03 9:32 PM Jayhox

Good Flat Bike routes in KC area

Started by one-hooah-family
Views: 2372 Posts: 11

2009-06-02 12:26 PM IKENTRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.
date : March 9, 2007
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : May 1, 2006
author : codytriguy
Arnold Ceniceros, a great racer and an even better sportsman.