Midwest Meltdown Triathlon
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 33s
Overall Rank = 1/102
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30ish. Coffee, oatmeal and fruit to eat. Out the door a little before 5:30. Arrived in transition a little after six. Wide open transition so I selected a decent spot near the bike out entrance. I had a good chuckle as I saw someone at the end of my row had secured the last spot and set up an elaborate transition area complete with lawn chair and beach towel. I couldn't tell if someone was going to be racing or spectating from that spot.
Event warmup:

None. I shiver too much as it is. Didn't want to hop in the water for a short swim and then sit around cold for a half hour.
Swim
  • 11m 59s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

A fairly simple start. It was really only me and maybe two others who lined up at the front which made for a clean, smooth gettaway. I had the overall fastest short course swimmer on my left and we went stroke for stroke for a while. Because I had a clear line to the buoys and there was no upcoming traffic I took very few breaths to my left (the "unnatural" side I breath on) and didn't do much sighting. When I did get around to breathing left again he was gone. I didn't think too much about it, whether I dropped him or he dropped me, and I just kept racing.

Stroke felt very efficient and smooth. Dealt with very little traffic - only three waves ahead of me which were all spaced out by 5 minutes apiece - so it was a lonely swim. Exited the water by myself and marched on up to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. More competition may have pushed me to work a little harder though.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Decent enough, however, there was a little bit of fumbling around with getting my shoes on, clipping my helmet buckle, and getting clipped into my bike.

8/100 OA
Bike
  • 27m 20s
  • 10.48 miles
  • 23.00 mile/hr
Comments:

. . . . I'm really trying to find something interesting to write here, but I'm not finding it.

Quiet course, with only the few duathletes to contend with. Nice enough tail wind when heading north but not strong enough to make the headwind going south feel annoying. At this point I had completely forgot about the other swimmer from earlier, so I paid no mind to where he or anyone else was. I was just racing hard and racing my race. I began thinking about my 5k and wondering how much it was going to suck, so I kept going back and forth in my mind whether to back off on the bike or keep hammering it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

For the, what, 5th time I've lost a bike shoe in the process of dismounting my bike, except this time I didn't notice it at all. Luckily a volunteer brought it back to my transition spot. I'm not sure what's going on here. This doesn't happen when I practice my dismounts. Does this problem happen to anyone else?

8/100 OA
Run
  • 19m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I forgot my Garmin wrist strap so I had to leave it on my bike. Tracked my run by just using my Timex Ironman watch, so I didn't have the convenience of monitoring my pace and splits but I wasn't terribly bothered by that fact. The first half wasn't the most fun I had. It was slightly uphill and into the wind and I had only a few duathletes out there to keep me company. I did hear a couple of bikers out there yell out my name, but I'm so completely oblivious that I can never identify who's who. I'm usually not paying attention to faces.

It wasn't until I got near the turn around that the one guy ahead of me, Patrick - who did indeed drop me on the swim, came back the other direction and noted that I was probably going to catch him. Up until that point I was just racing my own race, but now I had a goal. I didn't know what I was averaging pace wise but figured that if I just stayed strong and kept everything together I could catch him. I caught him with a little more than half a mile to go and then tried to keep the needle in the red just in case he wanted to latch on and chase me down at the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with Patrick about our race and then with the KCM folks who handed me a celebratory mimosa. Luckily that didn't upset the stomach. However, about an hour after finishing I decided that I would try to consume a beer. It did not go well. Beer + Post Race Stomach <> Fun. When will I learn? I keep trying to have beer after my races but it never goes well. I will likely repeat this mistake in the future.

Talked some more with the local BT folks. Then awards, which only went to the top three overall (no age group awards - but its a small race so understandable). For my efforts I got a $60 gift certificate to Elite Cycling. Very cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Smaller race with few competitors to push me.

Event comments:

Good volunteers. This was Elite Cycling's first year running this event after taking over for KLM. Good small race. Good race day communication. I will consider doing this event in the future.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:59 | 820 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 2/102
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Long rectangle, counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:27:20 | 10.48 miles | 23.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 5/102
Wind: Some
Course: Two clockwise loops around the lake. No hills but not exactly pancake flat either.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:48 | 03.11 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 3/102
Course: Out and back. Turn around on the dam. One "hill."
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-27 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Midwest Meltdown Triathlon

2013-08-27 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4840083

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Short Course
Nice race! I always crank down the tension on my pedals the night before a race, as I don't wan to lose a shoe. It makes clipping into them tough, but they don't come undone. At least so far.
2013-08-28 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4840083

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Short Course
Nice job Mike, congrats on the win! Don't think the results would have changed but the 5k definitely would have sucked more if we'd been in the same starting heat.

Not sure what pedals you run but I've got Speedplay Zeros and have dropped a shoe while dismounting before, only once in a race (this one in fact, a couple years ago) but more than a few other times as well. They are very sensitive to twisting but pretty resistant to all other directions of force, it is surprisingly easy to twist your foot just enough while stepping off a moving bike.

Enjoy your triathlon-off-season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Meltdown Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Short Course

Started by mikec123
Views: 877 Posts: 2

2013-08-27 9:31 AM Barkeep

Started by m.a.burghart
Views: 1140 Posts: 1

2012-09-03 12:27 PM m.a.burghart

Started by mikec123
Views: 1171 Posts: 3

2012-08-30 4:43 PM ettringite23

Started by bjleeper
Views: 1029 Posts: 1

2011-09-11 4:42 PM bjleeper

Midwest Meltdown Triathlon - Long Course

Started by reecealan
Views: 1170 Posts: 1

2011-08-28 8:02 PM reecealan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
comments : 0
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle