General Discussion Race Reports! » Speedy Feet Wednesday Night Triathlon #4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Speedy Feet Wednesday Night Triathlon #4 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
Speedy-Feet
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 22s
Overall Rank = 60/96
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

I rolled up about an hour early to the race. These Wednesday night tris are so interesting. I think of all races, these bring out some of the serious local people. I've never heard so much tri posturing in my life (OK, so this is still my first full season). "Well, I heard that HIM was easy." "That bike was hard." "These local races are SO easy." "My wheels make me so awesome, you know?"

*rolls eyes*

A masters swim friend of mine showed up (and realized he forgot his helmet). He had a sweet new Giant. I might have a road bike with aero bars, but one of these days I'm going to rock their socks off.
Event warmup:

We went out for a warm up run. The run course was two loops of 1.7 mi. We did one loop. In hindsight, this was a mistake. I was really thinking doing just enough running to break a sweat. That jog put me past that into energy consumption mode, even if only slightly. I think I paid for it later.

I then went down and did about 400m of a warmup in the lake. Up to this race I hadn't swum an open water swim well. I would get freaked out at some point and have to kick on my back. But I know this lake, I know how deep it is, it's parallel to the shore, all things that worked in my favor.

Also, pretty much everyone had a wetsuit again except for me. That's on the wish list.
Swim
  • 15m 57s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

They started the field off in a time trial format. People left every five seconds or so. I think in earlier races I was guilty of going out too hard at first and winding myself, so I took it a bit easier at the start.

In the end, it was a good swim, and I did well without a wetsuit. Getting one will push me further up the table. I felt comfortable the whole way. Those T-30s in masters have paid off, for sure.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Not particularly fast, but I didn't have much motivation to do it faster. My thought process was, I'm not really racing this, just doing it for experience. So, uh, that took the edge off.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 22s
  • 21 miles
  • 19.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I learned a lot from this ride. I need to ride more on local roads to get used to doing hills. I need to ride more consistently, I hadn't been doing that. I need to stay aerobic, because I am not in shape right now to push hard anaerobically.

I got out with a group of riders and stayed with them for a while. I was playing leapfrog with a two or three people, this one girl in particular. I think that was because I was pushing hard to pass, and not staying at a smoother effort level. And I was definitely getting caught on hills, though passing on the flats and downhills. I stayed with the group for about a half hour, and then...

I dropped my water bottle. smh. It seems like I lost about a minute because of that. I definitely got dropped when I dropped. When I got back on my bike I set myself a goal of catching back up to that girl again. I thought I saw her pink shirt ahead. I spent the next 15 or so minutes reeling her back in, only to find out that it wasn't her. That really shot my motivation. There was no way I was going to catch the previous group. They were long gone.

And I was running out of juice. The last three miles were a bit painful and slow. For 20+ mile rides, I need to start implementing a nutrition plan.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Not bad, I think. I need to work on getting out of my shoes while still on the bike.
Run
  • 31m 26s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh man. I don't think I've hurt this bad on a run since (my Mason triathlon maybe?) my very first 5k. I was hurting pretty bad from the start. Right after I choked on a bug (though that really didn't have anything to do with it).

Oh the pain and suffering. I toughed it out, but I was running sooooo slow. Like 9+ minute pace. People were passing me that have no business passing me. If we were running a straight 5k, I would be minutes ahead of them. But..., they still passed me. The girl in the pink on the bike that I caught up to passed me, though she only got a little in front of me. I only pity-walked once, at mile 2. That was a major victory.

The second lap didn't start much better, but by halfway through I started to loosen up, and I started catching people. The last quarter mile I ran pretty fast actually. Go figure.

I think the reality was that I pushed too hard on the bike. Lessons for next year.
Post race
Warm down:

It turns out that the guy from my masters group did a great race. I think he finished seventh overall and had the fastest run. Good for him.

Next year with regular cycling and running I'll be able to come back and do this race the way it should be done. I know I can place a lot better. Even a decent run would have been a significant jump.

Event comments:

Nice local race series. I'm thinking I'll do more of these next year.

Last updated: 2013-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:57 | 1000 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/96
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:22 | 21 miles | 19.28 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The course had more hills than I thought it was going to. Tricky how that works.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:26 | 03.4 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Two relatively flat loops.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-27 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: Speedy Feet Wednesday Night Triathlon #4

2013-08-28 1:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Wednesday Night Triathlon
great job Tom. Way to stick with it even when it hurt and if it makes you feel better 9+ minute miles would still kick my butt on any day.

Edited by StaceyK 2013-08-28 1:04 AM
2013-08-28 5:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Congratulations fella. It seems you're learning from your past tri experiences. You had a good swim by not going off too hard at the start and no freaking out, lesson learnt I think you probably cooked yourself on the bike again and need to set a target pace to stick to on your next race to keep conservative. You might have been doing that on this race but possibly dropping your bottle, and playing catch up, is where the damage happened. Still, well done for only one pity walk, I struggle mentally once I start walking, and find it hard to get going again afterwards. It sounded like a stacked field, so well done on your performance.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2013-08-28 5:28 AM
2013-08-28 6:16 AM
in reply to: #4840712

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Another education in the books. I think you hit the nail on the head, if you overdo the bike, you will pay for it. Glad you toughed it out and sped up at the end!
2013-08-28 7:41 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Nice job! Sounds like you are where I was a short time ago. I love those after work local series. I'm slow - but I finish and I have a good time! I use those as learning experiences for the "big" ones. Congrats again on your finish and learning what you can do better next time.
2013-08-28 1:31 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Pennsylvania

"I might have a road bike with aero bars, but one of these days I'm going to rock their socks off."  I like this sentence because one day it will be true, you will kick some major butt!

Too bad about the water bottle and overcooking the bike a bit.  Hey, they are all lessons learned to have an even better race next time!  A definite positive (aside from being able to ignore the comments of the guys 'posturing') is your improved swim and swim comfort, nice job!

2013-08-28 5:48 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando
Races like these are great as they teach you so much.  They're not a lot of fun:0, but they do serve a good purpose.  Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Speedy Feet Wednesday Night Triathlon #4 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Caesar Creek Wednesday Night Tri Series (Sprint)

Started by shon.williams
Views: 1359 Posts: 1

2010-08-01 10:53 PM shon.williams

Caesar Creek International Triathlon

Started by angiep
Views: 1286 Posts: 1

2006-01-17 7:12 AM angiep

Caesar Creek Triathlon

Started by Sassafras
Views: 764 Posts: 2

2005-09-18 3:17 PM CVSURF

Started by ihafij
Views: 1663 Posts: 2

2005-07-19 9:50 PM Mimir98

Started by Ron
Views: 2771 Posts: 4

2004-07-15 7:44 PM ihafij
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
My hunger stays under control well enough throughout the day eating every couple hours but come 9:00 pm I am again craving something sweet and if I don't eat I don't sleep.
date : August 7, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
My trouble is this: I work overnights, 11pm-7am. How many hours should I keep between workouts? What constitutes a 'day'? How does rearranging days affect the overall plans?

date : March 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
Provide your body with a wholesome and nutritious meal and keep healthy, low-calorie evening snacks available for after dinner.
date : November 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
Sometimes things do not always go as planned, but an interesting and entertaining experience can come of it.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.