General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any idea how fast ronman Canada 2014 will sell out? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-27 8:39 PM

User image

Subject: Any idea how fast ronman Canada 2014 will sell out?

Registration just opened yesterday (so far it hasn't sold out) any idea how long till it does?

Looks like last year it sold out around Nov 6th, but that was the first year in Whistler...

So any predictions if/when it will sell out?

And on a related note: Anyone doing it?

2013-08-27 9:23 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Subject: RE: Any idea how fast ronman Canada 2014 will sell out?

Registration for this year's Whistler didn't open till late October if I remember correctly.  So while it did sell out on Nov 6th, it's not like it was open for months...maybe 2 weeks.

Ironman in North America has gone through a serious shake up in the last 3 years.  IMSG is no more.  IMNYC came and went.  IMTX, IMMT, IMC, IMLT, and IM Chattanooga are all new races or relatively new.  It may be a few years before all the dust settles and people decide which races are the most popular.  It seems as though IMAZ, IMFL, IMLP, and IMWI have a strong foothold on opening day sellouts, but that may change.  Or at least a race like IMFL may stay open for more than a couple hours. 

2013-08-28 1:36 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Oh if last year sold out in approx 2 weeks I would expect this year to sell out in the same or less...

I was hoping to wait until after I had completed my first official triathlon before I signed up for Ironman, but maybe I shouldn't wait... (my tri is in 6 days)

...yes I realize how ridiculous that sounds.

2013-08-28 1:53 PM

User image

Ironman isn't exactly going anywhere.  Last I heard there weren't any new predictions of the world ending in 2014, or that the Mayan calandar was running out of pages again. 
2013-08-28 1:59 PM

User image

Haha true but since you need to book a year in advance if I don't book now I have to wait 2 years to do Ironman. That's a long time to wait. 

Also Ironman Whistler 2014 happens within 6 days of my 40th birthday. Doing it for my 41st or 42nd just doesn't have the same feel to it. 

2013-08-28 2:58 PM

Master
Northern IL
Something like Challenge Penticton would not be an option?

2013-08-28 3:21 PM

User image

2013-08-28 3:28 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1 Something like Challenge Penticton would not be an option?

Hmmm, that's an idea I never thought of...  So I just looked into it and 3 things make it less desirable:

-Farther from home (not a huge deal, but being more than twice as far from Vancouver isn't ideal).

-Farther from my birthday. I kind of wanted to do this as a 40th birthday thing so being a month away from my birthday kind of takes away from that.

-It is not "Ironman" lol I know it's just branding, but since they are essentially the same price I might as well go for Ironman.

Thanks for the idea though.

2013-08-28 3:31 PM
in reply to: tarmac52

User image

Originally posted by tarmac52 sign up now, if you don't, you will regret it. why are you waiting?

Because I wanted to wait until I had at least finished 1 official tri before I signed up for Ironman... but I know I am not going to want to do it Less after my tri on monday, so I guess I don't have any good reason for waiting (and you are right I will regret it if I miss it).

2013-08-28 5:02 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Chillin

Haha true but since you need to book a year in advance if I don't book now I have to wait 2 years to do Ironman. That's a long time to wait. 

Also Ironman Whistler 2014 happens within 6 days of my 40th birthday. Doing it for my 41st or 42nd just doesn't have the same feel to it. 

What are your goals in triathlon? Long term participation or bucket list and done?

Shane
2013-08-28 5:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-08-28 5:33 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Originally posted by gsmacleod

What are your goals in triathlon? Long term participation or bucket list and done? Shane

Long term. For my first IM my goal would "only" be to finish but I will still be doing more tri's both before and after that. Not sure about other IMs but more tris definitely. 

2013-08-28 5:45 PM

Champion

What are your goals in triathlon? Long term participation or bucket list and done? Shane

Long term. For my first IM my goal would "only" be to finish but I will still be doing more tri's both before and after that. Not sure about other IMs but more tris definitely. 

In that case my advice would be to wait until at least your third season of tri until you step up to ironman. When it comes to endurance sport and especially with the jump to ultradistance events, the long game is far superior to racing to get an ironman done as quickly as possible.

As Jason said, ironman is always going to be there so you can take a more gradual approach,

Shane
2013-08-28 8:32 PM

In that case my advice would be to wait until at least your third season of tri until you step up to ironman. When it comes to endurance sport and especially with the jump to ultradistance events, the long game is far superior to racing to get an ironman done as quickly as possible. As Jason said, ironman is always going to be there so you can take a more gradual approach, Shane

"the long game is far superior". Superior in what way? 

Do you mean to get a better result? To avoid unnecessary strain on my body? Neither of those are concerns to me.

But anyways I guess my answer to your last question should have been: Neither/Both.  I am going to continue to do triathlons And completing Ironman on my 40th birthday is a "bucket list" type item.

2013-08-28 9:18 PM

In that case my advice would be to wait until at least your third season of tri until you step up to ironman. When it comes to endurance sport and especially with the jump to ultradistance events, the long game is far superior to racing to get an ironman done as quickly as possible. As Jason said, ironman is always going to be there so you can take a more gradual approach, Shane

Do you mean to get a better result? To avoid unnecessary strain on my body? Neither of those are concerns to me.

But anyways I guess my answer to your last question should have been: Neither/Both.  I am going to continue to do triathlons And completing Ironman on my 40th birthday is a "bucket list" type item.

So what are you waiting for then?  Sign up!!!

2013-08-28 9:19 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Great White North
I found a great condo (5 nights /$110, 650', 1 bedroom), close to the expo/athlete village at the Olympic Plaza. Lots of Americans appeared to have driven from Washington and Oregon and lots of rentals with Washington tags on them as well.

2013-08-29 2:04 AM

Originally posted by Jason N

LOL, just had to get the wife on board with the level of training I'll need to be doing for the next year.  She agreed.  I'm now registered!

Dear Chillin,
Thank you! You are now registered for the 2014 Subaru IRONMAN Canada - General Entry. Please check theevent's website for updates.

Woo hoo! Excited, nervous, pumped, scared, mostly excited though

2013-08-29 7:16 AM

Elite

Originally posted by Jason N

LOL, just had to get the wife on board with the level of training I'll need to be doing for the next year.  She agreed.  I'm now registered!

Dear Chillin,
Thank you! You are now registered for the 2014 Subaru IRONMAN Canada - General Entry. Please check theevent's website for updates.

DID YOU TELL THE TRUTH? LOL good luck with training, btw I completed my first at 41 and I believe it feels just as good at 41 than 40
2013-08-29 7:18 AM
in reply to: 0

Champion

In pretty much everyway; building endurance is a long term process and taking the time (years) to build a solid endurance base is generally a very important component to be able to do the training required for IM. While there are athletes who are unable to finish on the day due to their training, it is much more common for athletes to be unable to start due to the training and the number one reason athletes are unable to start an IM is that they do too much too soon and end up injured.

Not only is it a better approach physiologically, it tends to be better pyschologically as well. After an athlete has done a few seasons of regular training, they are better prepared for the grind that IM training will be, especially in the race specific build weeks with long runs and rides. These take a toll; both on the athlete and their family and it is often very taxing on a relationship if suddenly someone is trying to find an extra 10 hours a week or more for training with most of that being on the weekends. This is further complicated by the additional rest that goes with this and the general fatigue you will be dealing with due to the training.

Dear Chillin,

Good luck; I hope you enjoy the journey and it is everything you hope for.

I would highly recommend you find a very good training plan or good coach for the next year; the key for success is going to be largely related getting to the starting line injury free.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2013-08-29 7:20 AM
2013-08-29 1:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I did the race on Sunday and loved it but it's a buttkicker of a bike and run course.  My guess is the race might remain open for awhile for the following reasons (which have more or less already been mentioned):

• It's not in the USA.  That does preclude many for whatever reason.
  • It's "far away" for most folks that aren't on the west coast.
  • Whistler is not a cheap place.  It's a resort and costs reflect that.  It's not a gouge-fest like Lake Placid where you pay $300/night for a $60 room.  The hotels in Whistler are very nice but pricey.
  • It's a really hard bike course.  I had 6,200' of climbing per both my Garmin 910 and 500.  My NP for the race was 207 watts and that resulted in a 30 minute slower bike ride than both IMAZ and IMTX on 196 watts.  207 watts for me at IMFL or IMAZ probably has me around 5:05-5:08 and my bike at IMC was 5:44.  So close to 40 minutes slower than a flat course for me.
  • It's a challenging run course.  I had over 1,500' of climbing for the run course.

It was far and away the best of the four IM races I have done but it's a very challenging course... which is apparently what frightens people more than anything when it comes to registering.

2013-08-29 2:02 PM

Originally posted by Chillin "the long game is far superior". Superior in what way? 

In pretty much everyway; building endurance is a long term process and taking the time (years) to build a solid endurance base is generally a very important component to be able to do the training required for IM. While there are athletes who are unable to finish on the day due to their training, it is much more common for athletes to be unable to start due to the training and the number one reason athletes are unable to start an IM is that they do too much too soon and end up injured. Not only is it a better approach physiologically, it tends to be better pyschologically as well. After an athlete has done a few seasons of regular training, they are better prepared for the grind that IM training will be, especially in the race specific build weeks with long runs and rides. These take a toll; both on the athlete and their family and it is often very taxing on a relationship if suddenly someone is trying to find an extra 10 hours a week or more for training with most of that being on the weekends. This is further complicated by the additional rest that goes with this and the general fatigue you will be dealing with due to the training.
Dear Chillin, Thank you! You are now registered for the 2014 Subaru IRONMAN Canada - General Entry. Please check theevent's website for updates.   Woo hoo! Excited, nervous, pumped, scared, mostly excited though
Good luck; I hope you enjoy the journey and it is everything you hope for. I would highly recommend you find a very good training plan or good coach for the next year; the key for success is going to be largely related getting to the starting line injury free. Shane

Good advice Shane.  As someone 6.5 weeks out from my first IM, and in my 4th year of tris, I really do feel like I'm relying a lot on my cumulative training over the past 4 years.  It's going to be a grind no matter what, but I feel like I can handle the volume much better with the base I've built up and avoid injury.  I also know a little bit of what it's like to train long hours and the time commitment it takes, and my GF also knew what to expect.

IM and IM training is never going to be easy...but it does help to have experience on your side.  If not, a coach with experience can help you guide yourself through the journey much better.

2013-08-30 11:35 PM

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Originally posted by tarmac52 sign up now, if you don't, you will regret it. why are you waiting?

Because I wanted to wait until I had at least finished 1 official tri before I signed up for Ironman... but I know I am not going to want to do it Less after my tri on monday, so I guess I don't have any good reason for waiting (and you are right I will regret it if I miss it).

I hear there's not a big difference between an OLY and an IM anyway
2013-08-31 1:35 AM
in reply to: rjrankin83

Originally posted by rjrankin83

I hear there's not a big difference between an OLY and an IM anyway

Nice. I guess I don't need to worry about training at all then. Thanks for letting me know. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any idea how fast ronman Canada 2014 will sell out? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Eagleman 2014

Started by Live2ski
Views: 1479 Posts: 2

2013-08-01 7:51 PM adamjbosley

Best First Ironman (~May 2014)

Started by imargil
Views: 2229 Posts: 4

2013-07-18 8:46 PM trebor587

New IM sites for 2014

Started by jruns
Views: 3270 Posts: 11

2013-07-22 11:29 AM Skyhawk

IM CDL 2014 registration questions...

Started by pbreed
Views: 1237 Posts: 4

2013-06-25 8:29 AM spie34

Lake Placid 2014

Started by USAFR
Views: 1126 Posts: 4

2013-05-03 8:13 AM USAFR
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 12, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
How to train for hills when you don't have any hills to train on

date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.
date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
comments : 1
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout