General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Barefoot Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-28 7:22 PM

Subject: Barefoot Running
I'm deciding to give barefoot running a go.

I have pronated feet and have cushioned shoes and custom made outhodics for the past 11-12 years but am deciding to give the barefoot idea a try.

I figure if it doesn't work out, the downsides are minimal, I just go back to using the footwear I'm currently using in 6 months time and go back to what I have been doing.

I have a lot of ankle, achilles, knee and hip trouble. I'm 24 years old and weight 74kg so I'm not on the heavy side.

My questions are:

How do I get started?

Should I get minimal type shoes first then develop into five finger or running sandals later on? Also what work shoes should I look to wear? What about cycling shoes?

Love to hear from anyone that has tried it.

2013-08-28 7:44 PM
in reply to: Flying Kiwi

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Barefoot Running

"I'm deciding to give barefoot running a go."

"I figure if it doesn't work out, the downsides are minimal"

"I have a lot of ankle, achilles, knee and hip trouble."

I'll be the first to say that "barefoot running" is probably a terrible idea for you.

2013-08-28 9:27 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Barefoot means no shoes! VFFs are shoes. Start slow and short. You won't regret it.

http://barefootrunning.com/

Good luck!

Ted
2013-08-28 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
To transition to barefoot, start slowly ... and slow is slower than you think.

Rather than going to minimal shoes or VFF, try first some running shoes with low heel drop. Then focus on your running form, strike, stride and cadence. You may want to take a look at chi or pose running. To keep good running form you should run shorter distances, this can be frustrating if you're used to lots of long runs.

To go barefoot, it's better to be barefoot rather than use minimal/VFF shoes, you have more ground feed back. When you go on your run then take of your shoes and just walk a few 100m, to feel the contact with the ground. Then take on your shoes and run as normally. Next time, you may run lightly barefoot a few 100m. Then take on your shoes and run normally. Increase the barefoot distance very slowly.

Run/walk barefoot on different surfaces, you may be surprised to find that asphalt is very smooth and nice to run barefoot because you don't have to worry about stones and holes.
2013-08-28 10:31 PM

User image

NC
Find a nice grassy field. Go run around. Don't screw yourself up and whatnot.

2013-08-28 11:56 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by Goosedog Find a nice grassy field. Go run around. Don't screw yourself up and whatnot.

Wise words.

2013-08-29 1:47 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

"I'm deciding to give barefoot running a go."

"I figure if it doesn't work out, the downsides are minimal"

"I have a lot of ankle, achilles, knee and hip trouble."

I'll be the first to say that "barefoot running" is probably a terrible idea for you.

Agreed.
Your Achilles and calf muscles will hurt at first. Since you are already prone to Achilles injury, you could do some damage. On the other hand, if you do it smart, it may strengthen that tendon and fix the problem.
2013-08-29 3:55 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Seattle

Yeah, lots of good responses here.

I don't think it's very realistic to expect to do all of your running barefoot, as we live in a world where asphalt, broken MD 20/20 bottles, dog poo and a variety of other things exist. Shoes can be rather helpful.

What I do is use barefoot running as a tool. After a hard track workout or even a long run I to strides in the grass. 

2013-08-29 8:06 PM

User image

Pro

A lot of the 'barefoot' running has turned into 'minimalist' running.  i.e. shoes that are a little lighter, more flexible and lower drop (heal to toe) than before.

so- you could go 'all the way' and get yourself a pair of VFFs.  Start slow... like 1/4 mile runs.  I'm a flat footed pronator with lots of injuries- and was able to train up in them.  it took a few months before I was doing 5-7mi runs, and my feet and arch were absolutely getting stronger, and my achilles managed as well as it ever does.

but- then I kept hitting rocks, and it was really hurting the bottom of my feet.  And when I needed to ramp up my running for marathon training, I just found it way easier to run in running shoes.  

I think some of the more cushioned, more minimal shoes might be a safer compromise if you want to move in that direction.  there's a big difference between a VFF and a nike free, kinvara or brooks pure project shoe.  It's an experience.  you may learn something about your body. you may like it.  you may get hurt.  Unlikely that you'll do any permanent damage that a few weeks of laying low won't cure- so go for it.

as for cycling shoes.... I don't think there's a minimalist revolution going on there.    yet.

2013-08-29 9:35 PM
in reply to: morey000

Yes I intend to get a pair of "minimalist" type shoes. Looking at new balance minimus or something similar.

There is just too many rocks on the trail I run and too much glass when I run on the street at night or early morning.

I'll do drills etc on grass frields or running tracks in bare foot.

Five fingers just look rediculous!
2013-08-29 10:35 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Originally posted by Flying Kiwi

Five fingers just look rediculous!

I'm not particularly an advocate of barefoot running (I've done it a bit, and...meh) nor VFFs, but if you're worried about looking ridiculous, you are in the wrong sport.

2013-08-29 10:42 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Flying Kiwi ... Five fingers just look rediculous!
True. But in Vibram's defense- there is something to it.  Being able to splay your toes out while you run, makes a real difference in how you use the muscles in your feet.  I felt a real difference.
2013-08-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I have a pair of Merrell trail gloves (good for road and smoother trails).
Sure, you cannot splay out the toes as much, but it does have a pretty huge toe box that mimics that effect.
I do not wear them much anymore. They require too much staring at the ground, scanning for foot punishing gravel. The Brooks pure drift are super nice and can be worn without the sole for a zero drop shoe, but with a little more rock protection.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Barefoot Running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Barefoot Running

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1263 Posts: 14

2008-11-03 3:50 PM xcrunner2010

barefoot running - where?

Started by tkbslc
Views: 1138 Posts: 16

2007-04-09 1:37 PM sappho96

barefoot running

Started by sappho96
Views: 1338 Posts: 13

2007-03-22 8:20 AM kproudfoot

Barefoot running!

Started by jonow6
Views: 674 Posts: 9

2006-02-19 10:41 PM Dlaxman31

New shoes. Barefoot running

Started by John_0026
Views: 1053 Posts: 13

2005-03-23 10:41 AM Hermom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : March 9, 2010
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation