General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which first Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-29 4:46 PM

Veteran
Subject: Which first Ironman
Which Ironman would you recommend as a first and why?

2013-08-29 4:52 PM
in reply to: crlarner

User image

Austin
Subject: RE: Which first Ironman
I haven't done a full IM yet, but my wish list races are FL or AZ. Trying to stay south and away from the colder weather.
2013-08-29 5:47 PM

User image

Roswell
I did Florida first. Great race! Salt water swim helps, flat course at sea level, mild weather, and great volunteers.
2013-08-29 6:55 PM
in reply to: Ziatriguy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mont-Tremblant because it's beautiful there, the course is challenging and fun, and the venue is spectator and family friendly. Can't wait to do this one again!
2013-08-29 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Arizona makes a great first IM. It's a huge hassle to sign up due to popularity. The best way to guarantee a slot is to fly out, volunteer on race day, sign up the next day for the following year) which is what I did last year and so I'll be racing it this November. Arizona has several advantages over many other venues:

Logistically it's easy. There tons of hotel rooms and condos for rent, airport is big and nearby, serviced by Tri Bike Transport or bring it on the airline, or even drive there, plenty of restaurants at all expense levels. I've raced IM Arizona, Lake Placid, Canada, Coeur d'Alene, Los Cabos, and Cozumel, and Arizona is the easiest by far in terms of hassle of getting there, staying there, leaving there.

The course is hugely spectator friendly based around Tempe Beach Park and Tempe Town Lake. There are great bridges to watch the swim from above, or watch from the shore. The bike course is 3 loops and there is plenty of room for spectators alongside the road. The run course is 3 loops around the lake and surrounding area, and loops through the park with plenty of room for spectators. Spectators can hang out on Mill Ave while waiting for you.

The race is on the easy end of the IM spectrum of difficulty. The water November is in the mid-60s I believe which is cooler but comfortable. The ride and run temps are in the 70s and 80s tops. Wind is moderate, and the ride and run are rather flat.
2013-08-29 7:47 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I've only done one so of course it's the best. 

I did IMWI but it was mostly because it was geographically close and from what I had heard was a great race.

After doing it, it was absolutely incredible and I can't imagine doing a different one for my first race.  The bike has some challenging spots, but the crowd support was amazing.  The run through Madison was one of the coolest run's I've ever done.  Every street was packed with people cheering.

I don't think you can go wrong with any venue, and they all have different characteristics.  If you're on the bubble for finishing uner 17 then go for an easier one.

2013-08-29 7:55 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

IM Cozumel. 

I did it in 2010 and the crowd support was amazing.  They shut the whole island down during the race so there are no cars on any roads. The swim is beautiful.  I saw sea turtles, schools of fish, underwater statues, and scuba divers waved at us.  The bike is pretty but it is a 3 loop course so that get's a little old BUT your loved one's can see you multiple times.  The same goes for the run.  Relaxing on the beach after the race is not that bad either. I would go back and do Cozumel again in a heart beat if my wife gave me thumbs up.

2013-08-29 8:03 PM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

Master
Originally posted by csharp1171

IM Cozumel. 

I did it in 2010 and the crowd support was amazing.  They shut the whole island down during the race so there are no cars on any roads. The swim is beautiful.  I saw sea turtles, schools of fish, underwater statues, and scuba divers waved at us.  The bike is pretty but it is a 3 loop course so that get's a little old BUT your loved one's can see you multiple times.  The same goes for the run.  Relaxing on the beach after the race is not that bad either. I would go back and do Cozumel again in a heart beat if my wife gave me thumbs up.

x2
2013-08-29 9:17 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I think whatever race will work best for you. I plan on registering for IMWI 2014 as my first IM. I have plenty of friends and family within driving distance of Madison, which is something that will be really important to me on race day.
2013-08-29 9:37 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jlruhnke I think whatever race will work best for you. I plan on registering for IMWI 2014 as my first IM. I have plenty of friends and family within driving distance of Madison, which is something that will be really important to me on race day.

Great point, I had a lot of friends that were both racing and cheering at mine and it makes a huge difference.

2013-08-30 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by jlruhnke

I think whatever race will work best for you. I plan on registering for IMWI 2014 as my first IM. I have plenty of friends and family within driving distance of Madison, which is something that will be really important to me on race day.

+1. I think for your first one you want one that just makes it logistically easier for you and friends and family. You already have enough on your mind that I feel the "stress" of just getting there, worry about bike transport, etc. just adds to an already activity-packed weekend. In addition, the the closer to the venue you are the greater opportunity to run/bike or maybe even swim the actual course.

I'm doing IMWI the first time this year and have driven up there to do the bike course several times. Also familiarized myself with the run. Sure, it's extra time/effort on my part but that added piece of familiarity just makes race day a bit more smoother.

My .02......i may get back change

2013-08-30 8:01 AM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by FurnaceM3

Originally posted by jlruhnke

+1. I think for your first one you want one that just makes it logistically easier for you and friends and family. You already have enough on your mind that I feel the "stress" of just getting there, worry about bike transport, etc. just adds to an already activity-packed weekend. In addition, the the closer to the venue you are the greater opportunity to run/bike or maybe even swim the actual course.

x2
2013-08-30 8:07 AM
in reply to: japarker24

Veteran
Because I am from Michigan, IMWI, IMlouisville, or REV3 Cedar point, make sense...I wish they would put a IM in Traverse City...
2013-08-30 8:39 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by crlarner

Because I am from Michigan, IMWI, IMlouisville, or REV3 Cedar point, make sense...I wish they would put a IM in Traverse City...

I'm with you, an IM in Traverse City would be awesome. It is almost perfect in every way except the logistics of getting there. It is off the beaten path and it is a little hard to fly there, but man would it make for an awesome race.

Race directors, any thoughts of putting one more IM in the upper midwest?

To answer the OP, there is no bad first IM. You can do a flatter (easier?) course and plan on going fast or you can do a harder course and talk/brag about it forever.
2013-08-30 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Does it have to be an Ironman branded iron-distance race? I would suggest the Rev3, Challenge and some independents (B2B, Vineman full, etc.) are potentially better choices for a first.

2013-08-30 9:42 AM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by mgalanter

Does it have to be an Ironman branded iron-distance race? I would suggest the Rev3, Challenge and some independents (B2B, Vineman full, etc.) are potentially better choices for a first.

A lot of those you mentioned are great races, but personally I kind of want all the pomp and circumstance that goes along with a WTC event for my first 140.6 distance.

2013-08-30 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Originally posted by jlruhnke personally I kind of want all the pomp and circumstance that goes along with a WTC event for my first 140.6 distance.

Ironman, as a rule, is no bestter organized, or provide more "pomp and circumstance" than the competitors. I would suggest that the Challenge series is far better at that - just come down and watch Challenge Roth so see a feverish crowd. Sure, IM Kona is special, but its not a first IM for most people.

I would suggest that all those people who insist on only doing a WTC race becasue of the "Ironman" brand should stop and have some introspection on why they are pursuing this difficult challenge. Is it becasue something intrinsic is driving you to see where your limits lie and what you can accomplish or is it becasue 'Joe OQ. Public' knows what an ironman is but has never heard of Rev3 and hence will be more impressed with your accomplishment. I will further suggest that one of these is a better reason than the other.
2013-08-30 3:08 PM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jlruhnke personally I kind of want all the pomp and circumstance that goes along with a WTC event for my first 140.6 distance.
Ironman, as a rule, is no bestter organized, or provide more "pomp and circumstance" than the competitors. I would suggest that the Challenge series is far better at that - just come down and watch Challenge Roth so see a feverish crowd. Sure, IM Kona is special, but its not a first IM for most people. I would suggest that all those people who insist on only doing a WTC race becasue of the "Ironman" brand should stop and have some introspection on why they are pursuing this difficult challenge. Is it becasue something intrinsic is driving you to see where your limits lie and what you can accomplish or is it becasue 'Joe OQ. Public' knows what an ironman is but has never heard of Rev3 and hence will be more impressed with your accomplishment. I will further suggest that one of these is a better reason than the other.

As someone who has completed both IM-branded and non-IM-branded 140.6 races - I gotta whole-heartedly disagree here. There is really no comparison to the IM brand and experience, especially when it comes to organization and "pomp and circumstance". That is exactly what they do better than their competitors, and is what draws a lot of folks to them.

2013-08-30 4:02 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by lisac957

Ironman, as a rule, is no bestter organized, or provide more "pomp and circumstance" than the competitors. I would suggest that the Challenge series is far better at that - just come down and watch Challenge Roth so see a feverish crowd. Sure, IM Kona is special, but its not a first IM for most people. I would suggest that all those people who insist on only doing a WTC race becasue of the "Ironman" brand should stop and have some introspection on why they are pursuing this difficult challenge. Is it becasue something intrinsic is driving you to see where your limits lie and what you can accomplish or is it becasue 'Joe OQ. Public' knows what an ironman is but has never heard of Rev3 and hence will be more impressed with your accomplishment. I will further suggest that one of these is a better reason than the other.

As someone who has completed both IM-branded and non-IM-branded 140.6 races - I gotta whole-heartedly disagree here. There is really no comparison to the IM brand and experience, especially when it comes to organization and "pomp and circumstance". That is exactly what they do better than their competitors, and is what draws a lot of folks to them.

Only took less than a page for this argument to start. I've done two 140.6s, B2B and IMAZ. The only thing that I noticed was different was that it was louder and brighter at the finish line at IMAZ, so it was more of a rock-star feel for the 30 seconds you ran down the finisher's chute. The rest of the race was about the same. Some people love that rock-star feel. I would say they were equally fun and exciting for different reasons but one wasn't better than the other.
2013-08-30 4:26 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I've started and Finished 2 IM-branded races, and hopefully will do the same for my 3rd coming up next week.

I've chosen the race since it is only 20 miles from my house so geographically it is ideal for saving on some cost.  The challenge to do the race was a personal one.  Another minor component of why I did and am doing that race is that there is a LOT of fan support along this race route - there are a few areas where fans line up on the bike route and cheer/scream/bang a drum/run up with you, which really help you pull through that section.  The volunteers are fantastic, too!

2013-08-30 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

If you want a thrilling adventure, head to Western Australia ! IMWA is awesome.

2013-08-30 8:00 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Elite
I have only done imlp, but what was amazing was not.only was the town rocking when you came in and out in the last couple miles of the run and bike but there were other areas miles and miles outside of town with crowds and people having house parties like we would have fourth of July barbecues in the front yard....it was amazing!!
2013-08-30 10:14 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by FELTGood

I have only done imlp, but what was amazing was not.only was the town rocking when you came in and out in the last couple miles of the run and bike but there were other areas miles and miles outside of town with crowds and people having house parties like we would have fourth of July barbecues in the front yard....it was amazing!!

So totally off topic, but my favorite part of the Country Music Marathon is the section through the incredibly wealthy neighborhood. They have Marathon parties on the front lawn in the morning. Complete with Martha Stewart decorations, linen tablecloths, champagne brunches, 3 piece suits and derby hats. I absolutely love watching them watch me.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
2013-08-30 10:19 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2013-08-31 12:28 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

'Nuff said. I think Challenge probably does every bit as good as WTC when it comes to the "experience". The way I look at it if what you want is the awesome rock star feeling then do a 70.3 for less than half the price of a full. I did St. George 70.3 and the finish line was awesome. I would say that it was a similar experience to the finish line at the Boston Marathon, which I ran in 2011. But for my first IM I went with a small race called Expedition Man in Lake Tahoe. The finish line was absolutely dead but the race was well organized, the course was well-marked and extremely well supported and my wife could follow me throughout most of the run course since there was no congestion to deal with. Oh and I paid about half of what I would have paid for a WTC full IM. When I want that rock star feeling the bang for the buck is definitely in the 70.3, NOT in the WTC 140.6.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which first Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2013 Race Report (first Ironman!)

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 4562 Posts: 24

2013-06-29 7:04 PM GatorDeb

First Ironman? - Coeur d'Alene or new Ironman Texas

Started by 3Aims
Views: 2877 Posts: 20

2010-08-16 11:06 PM Shermbelle

Ironman France for first ironman??

Started by fglynn
Views: 1356 Posts: 7

2011-05-07 8:29 PM Khyron

First Ironman

Started by suffer78
Views: 932 Posts: 9

2005-07-07 10:00 PM bsjracing

18 Weeks To Your First Ironman

Started by trilover
Views: 998 Posts: 3

2004-12-28 9:55 AM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.

date : November 19, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I recently registered for Ironman Florida. My ambition and dream was to take part in an Ironman. Does this schedule set me up for burnout, or should I just build the distances in 2013 very gradually?
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : December 12, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Listen in as to how Peter overcame his shoulder injury in the middle of training for his first Ironman and how he had to modify that training.
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?

date : April 3, 2005
author : dara
Planing a successful nutrition strategy of fueling for your first Ironman triathlon.