General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-02-05 12:41 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread
So, we're halfway through the week and I'm experiencing fatigue. Can't wait for next week to roll around, which will be a reduced volume week and not so much intensity. Anyone else feeling it?

Another thing...Time's flyin'!!! Right now, we've got a little more than 14 weeks to go. What the heck? I don't remember the time going by this quick for my last IM. Maybe's it's b/c of winter training, or maybe some other reason, but the sand keeps sifting and it seems to be going faster and faster.

2014-02-05 2:22 PM

User image

Peachtree City
Anyone know if the half marathon course on March 1 is any part of the ironman course?
2014-02-06 10:01 AM

Just joining the thread. This is my first Ironman. Did my first full marathon Jan 2013, first Olympic last April, first Half Ironman last November.

So far so good. 5 weeks into my 20 week plan. I live in Houston and the weather has stunk!! Go away winter!!!! It's 65 one day, 35 the next.

Here is what my last week looked like:

Swim: 9,000m

Bike: 4hr 28min (45 mile long ride + 2 trainer sessions)

Run: 19.84 miles
2014-02-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by d00d

So, we're halfway through the week and I'm experiencing fatigue. Can't wait for next week to roll around, which will be a reduced volume week and not so much intensity. Anyone else feeling it?

Another thing...Time's flyin'!!! Right now, we've got a little more than 14 weeks to go. What the heck? I don't remember the time going by this quick for my last IM. Maybe's it's b/c of winter training, or maybe some other reason, but the sand keeps sifting and it seems to be going faster and faster.

So far my body is responding well. There's definitely something to be said for having more years of base training. I have a big week this week and then a slight recovery next week as I'm travelling all week. I am now moving to riding 4 times a week trying to get in 240 miles per week while keeping around 40-45 miles running a week.

My fatigue usually sets in 4-6 weeks before raceday and that's when I can't wait for taper.
2014-02-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Miami
My last couple of weeks were a little less stressful than what I normally train (I had a HIM race on 1/26), but I am starting to put some more volume (aiming for 13+ hours this week). I am feeling a little fatigued, not during training, but during the day. I need to go to bed earlier!

My goals for next week are increasing my run volume to 30-35 miles (I want to be running between 45-50 miles/week by early-mid March) and I would also try to get about 150-180 miles on the bike.

Edited by davidfedez 2014-02-06 1:26 PM
2014-02-06 1:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Originally posted by rbalazs

Originally posted by d00d

So far my body is responding well. There's definitely something to be said for having more years of base training. I have a big week this week and then a slight recovery next week as I'm travelling all week. I am now moving to riding 4 times a week trying to get in 240 miles per week while keeping around 40-45 miles running a week.

My fatigue usually sets in 4-6 weeks before raceday and that's when I can't wait for taper.

dang, bro...that's some serious mileage...what are you aiming for at TX? and what's your AG?!

I've got a little base in these legs, too, and I think the fatigue is more from the high intensity work I'm doing on the bike. Going to back off on it next week, just to let the body recovery a bit.

Originally posted by davidfedez

My last couple of weeks were a little less stressful than what I normally train (I had a HIM race on 1/26), but I am starting to put some more volume (aiming for 13+ hours this week). I am feeling a little fatigued, not during training, but during the day. I need to go to bed earlier!

My goals for next week are increasing my run volume to 30-35 miles (I want to be running between 45-50 miles/week by early-mid March) and I would also try to get about 150-180 miles on the bike.

Good to go...I'm not so bad during the day, but my fatigue is more prevalent during a workout...Are you getting rest and proper nutrition? that might help.

I want to be in the 40mpw for March and 45+ for most of April. That's a lot of running, though. As for the bike, I'm was around 30 hours for the month of Jan (on the bike), which would be close to 150 mpw riding outside. At peak weeks, I am hoping to get up to around 12 hours on the bike (2 or 3 weeks), per week, which would put me where rbalazs is now! Taint hurts just thinking about that!

Happy training...

Edited by d00d 2014-02-06 1:55 PM

2014-02-07 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Not to worry. I am in the old timers age group. This is my last year in 45-49.

My goal is literally just to execute the way I am capable of. If I could just figure out how to solve my constant cramping issues I will be very close to 10 hours and possibly sub-10.

I haven't done a single race, at any distance, in the last 3 1/2 years where I haven't been battling leg cramps. Even when I KQ'd at IMSG leg cramps cost me at least 15 minutes.

The weather this week has already put a wrinkle in my volume. Couldn't get outside on bike yesterday for a ride and brick so just did 1 hour on the trainer. Pool is closed today because of the cold so I'll miss a swim as well. I hope like hell this is the last week of this crap. I have no idea how northerners do it. There is no way I would do a spring IM if I was forced to be on the trainer regularly.
2014-02-10 7:39 PM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

New user

Springboro, Ohio
Gold member
I don't know about the rest of us northerners...but it's not the trainer that's tough to get on. It's the Dreadmill !!! Anything longer than about 45 minutes is torture for me.
2014-02-14 1:40 PM
in reply to: rwekin

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I've spent too much time in base training, partly due to H1N1 and then a cold. Now moving on to build. Weather in high 60's, 70's for the few days, so I'll get in the long rides. Hoping this is the final weather break of the year in DFW and March will be what it should be - kind to training plans.
2014-02-17 9:48 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

Regular
Houston, Texas
We are 13 weeks out so I hope everyone's training is going well. I have a 4 hour ride scheduled for Saturday and was thinking of riding the north part of the course (with some extra mileage maybe to Anderson) if anyone is interested. Anyone planning to be out there or interested in putting a group together?
2014-02-17 10:33 AM
in reply to: awal1

User image

Miami
Originally posted by awal1

We are 13 weeks out so I hope everyone's training is going well. I have a 4 hour ride scheduled for Saturday and was thinking of riding the north part of the course (with some extra mileage maybe to Anderson) if anyone is interested. Anyone planning to be out there or interested in putting a group together?

I wish I could join you all to ride a portion of the course, but I live quite far away from Texas.

On another note, last week I did a 15 hour week, first time I passed that volume mark! The best part of it is that I feel good and willing to keep training, although this week will be hard to get that volume again since it is my birthday and my wife planned something for the weekend.

Can't believe we are only 13 weeks away!

2014-02-17 12:12 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Elite
Boy, 13 weeks doesn't sound like it's much time...at all. For me, that looks like maybe 8-10 more long rides before the big dance...

I reduced volume last week, but hit 14 the week before and felt great. Going for 15 this week and 16 next, then it's March. During my training for B2B last year, I think max volume was 14 hours, or so...

Make sure you're resting and/or reducing intensity a bit to let yourself recover. Fatigue can creep up on you fairly quickly if you don't.

See yous in 13 weeks...
2014-02-17 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Extremely happy about finally getting nice weather. That should be it for the absolute crappy weather around here. This should be my first week right around 20 hours if all goes as planned.

Feeling good. Recovery has been good. Training with faster people on the bike has been extremely helpful, and painful.
2014-02-18 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Solidly into build phase now. I was worried it was cutting too close...but it is what it is. Wife keeps saying I should do more speedwork (she's a former elite marathon runner...what does she know), but I just need to get to the longer distances. That 25 mph 10 mile ride doesn't give me much when I'm hurting on mile 80 going straight into a 20 mph wind.
2014-02-24 1:00 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
So not sure if this has been pointed out here yet, but I was reading a post on slowtwitch about the conditions in 2013. As we all know, it was hot. No surprise, but the post I was reading said that some people actually burned their feet in transition as a result, claiming it promoted blisters etc. (I'm sure it wasn't 2nd degree burns...that takes a LOT of heat).

What's worth remembering is that you can keep your bike shoes on - apparently one poster did. Its the little things like that....
2014-02-24 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by FranzZemen

So not sure if this has been pointed out here yet, but I was reading a post on slowtwitch about the conditions in 2013. As we all know, it was hot. No surprise, but the post I was reading said that some people actually burned their feet in transition as a result, claiming it promoted blisters etc. (I'm sure it wasn't 2nd degree burns...that takes a LOT of heat).

What's worth remembering is that you can keep your bike shoes on - apparently one poster did. Its the little things like that....

I have heard rumours that they will put carpet down this year because of what happened last year. I sure hope so because I plan on leaving my shoes on the bike.

2014-02-24 4:49 PM

User image

Miami
Did any of you ride the bike course for ironman Texas? Is it very hilly? When I signed up for the race, the bike elevation map didn't look too crazy, but I was in Austin this past weekend visiting my alma mater (yep, I'm a longhorn!) and I went for a bike ride. After living in Miami for almost 7 years, I forgot what hills can do to your legs...

I rode for almost 70 miles with 3000ft elevation gain. Although I stopped many times to take pics and look at the gps to know where I was going, I wasn't impressed with my time and it made me think about the bike course for Ironman Texas. If the course is harder than what I originally thought, I may have to change my goals and strategy for the race.

I won't be back in Texas until May 15th, so any advice is welcome. Thanks!!
2014-02-24 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

The burns some people suffered were indeed 2nd degree. The blisters were quite impressive. The only thing that saved me was I never stopped running. I burned my feet slightly but it was enough to be noticeable during the run. If there is no carpet down I'll be in my bike shoes.
2014-02-24 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by davidfedez

Did any of you ride the bike course for ironman Texas? Is it very hilly? When I signed up for the race, the bike elevation map didn't look too crazy, but I was in Austin this past weekend visiting my alma mater (yep, I'm a longhorn!) and I went for a bike ride. After living in Miami for almost 7 years, I forgot what hills can do to your legs...

I rode for almost 70 miles with 3000ft elevation gain. Although I stopped many times to take pics and look at the gps to know where I was going, I wasn't impressed with my time and it made me think about the bike course for Ironman Texas. If the course is harder than what I originally thought, I may have to change my goals and strategy for the race.

I won't be back in Texas until May 15th, so any advice is welcome. Thanks!!

If you are riding on west side of Austin it is extremely hilly. I did 114 miles last weekend and it had 7,000 feet of climbing. IMTX is flat, ~1,600ft of climbing. Now that may be more than you are used to in Miami but compared to Austin it is dead flat.
2014-02-24 9:20 PM

User image

Miami
Yep, I think I went to the West side of Austin. I started at downtown (more or less) and I went towards Lake Travis. I wasn't expecting that much climbing and as soon as I got back I looked at the course map and I got concerned about the elevation profile... Glad is not as bad as West Austin!
2014-02-25 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by davidfedez Yep, I think I went to the West side of Austin. I started at downtown (more or less) and I went towards Lake Travis. I wasn't expecting that much climbing and as soon as I got back I looked at the course map and I got concerned about the elevation profile... Glad is not as bad as West Austin!

It's not as hilly as west Austin.

I had 2060' of elevation gain for the IMTX ride.  It's nothing substantial but it's not flat either.  The middle 1/3rd of the course is rolling (not IMLou or IMWI rolling but it's still rolling) and there are a few times you'll probably drop into the little ring but you could muscle through the whole course in the big ring if you wanted.

It will be hilly coming from Miami though.  The IMTX course is actually kind of "hilly" by Houston area standards.

2014-02-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Elite
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by davidfedez Yep, I think I went to the West side of Austin. I started at downtown (more or less) and I went towards Lake Travis. I wasn't expecting that much climbing and as soon as I got back I looked at the course map and I got concerned about the elevation profile... Glad is not as bad as West Austin!

It's not as hilly as west Austin.

I had 2060' of elevation gain for the IMTX ride.  It's nothing substantial but it's not flat either.  The middle 1/3rd of the course is rolling (not IMLou or IMWI rolling but it's still rolling) and there are a few times you'll probably drop into the little ring but you could muscle through the whole course in the big ring if you wanted.

It will be hilly coming from Miami though.  The IMTX course is actually kind of "hilly" by Houston area standards.

By GA standards, it'll be fairly flat. I'm not going in thinking it'll be like B2B, but I know it won't be like Louisville, either. The thing about Texas is that there'll be enough variance in elevation that you're not in the same gear the entire time. That's a problem in flat races.

Also, from what I've read in race reports, most ppl don't get out of the big ring...
2014-02-25 3:38 PM

Regular
Houston, Texas
There are only 2 spots I can think of that the average MOP cyclist might need to get out of the big ring for. Even for someone from Miami the hills shouldn't scare anyone. There are really only 2 things that may make this course a little tricky. The constant 50 miles of headwinds as you head back home and a couple deceptive long false flats that appear in the 2nd half of the course. I don't ride with power so both of those can get me out of my game plan if I lose focus.
2014-02-26 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by papson14

The burns some people suffered were indeed 2nd degree. The blisters were quite impressive. The only thing that saved me was I never stopped running. I burned my feet slightly but it was enough to be noticeable during the run. If there is no carpet down I'll be in my bike shoes.

Ouch! and Wow!
2014-02-26 10:02 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by papson14

Ouch! and Wow!

i too have heard that there will be carpet in those areas. going to have to see it to believe it, though. the run is hard enough without having to prance around on hot concrete and burning your feet.

that being said, i don't know that I could get burned. all this running has developed some pretty awesome calluses on my feet.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by uhcoog
Views: 14255 Posts: 101

2013-04-12 9:56 PM Grat

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by ernestov
Views: 69181 Posts: 1060

2013-05-28 1:01 PM jte463

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 26114 Posts: 156

2012-12-27 7:47 PM FranzZemen

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57

Started by papson14
Views: 132876 Posts: 1419

2012-06-03 7:33 AM KathyG

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread

Started by thunderfoot
Views: 3995 Posts: 7

2011-04-04 9:59 AM Gawaine79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: