General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-04-03 11:12 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread
Had to move long run to this morning as I'm busy this weekend.

Have been testing out UCAN and it has worked fine every other, other than today. I did experiment with adding protein to the plain version, so maybe that was the culprit. Stomach was in knots and didn't stop for the entire 18 mile run. Ran through it, as I've felt similar issues during a HIM (or two) and maybe my first IM, and towards the end felt OK.

I sure do hope that's a one time thing!

Anyone else with issues on their longer stuff?

2014-04-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

New user

Springboro, Ohio
Gold member
To any of you who might have done this race in the past or who live in the area..... Where is the best place to get a short ride/run in during race week? I'd like to get in a quick, short brick in after the practice swim on Friday.

Thanks
2014-04-03 2:47 PM
in reply to: rwekin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

You want to avoid the roads near the race site in The Woodlands as the traffic will be nuts.

There's a Walmart on the west side of The Woodlands (10001 Woodlands Parkway) that has easy access to 1488 and 149 (Google map it to see).  You can ride without much issue on either 1488 or 149.

2014-04-05 12:29 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Why would you add protein?
2014-04-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Elite
Originally posted by FranzZemen

Why would you add protein?

I've had issues with hunger during my longer workouts. Energy is fine, but just hungry. Adding protein helps reduce those hunger pangs.
2014-04-06 9:57 AM

User image

Regular
Just wanted to pass along some info based on my race there last year. I'm racing IMCDA this year.

1) Loved the race, venue, town and whole scene there. I'll definitely b going back. Take it all in.

2) The Swim, actually it was very nice for me. It opened up about 1/2 mile into it. I kept on thinking, the water temperature was great and felt very pleasant (just wore a speed suit). The canal coming in is awesome. My gf found me swimming and ran along the shore. Swim w/in your means and drink some water, etc before you get in the water

3) Bike, It's a long race and last year it was hot. I didn't drink enough and I went out too fast. It caught me at the last 20 miles and cost me. Course isn't terribly exciting once you get out of town, but no big deal. I know a lot of people dropped their psi in tires, but I kept mine at 110 (120allowable). Remember, not to inflate fully until race morning. When get off bike, last year I kept my shoes on instead of flying dismount. Thankfully, I did because the ashphalt burned a lot of racers feet that were bare. Hills aren't really any big deal and quite frankly the roads are not in bad shape and I ride on glass like roads where I live. Did I say hydrate.

4) The run, cramped on and off the entire time due to over doing bike in beginning and really not drinking enough. Will say loved the run course, the spectators, and everything about it. I remember, I should have packed some of my favorite drink in my special needs bag. Only one section where you'll feel alone or no crowd support. A lot of good athletes were seeking aid and getting carted off, due to heat stress. Race w/in your means and take it all in.

5) Finish line was electric and although I came up very short on goal, I loved Texas and def will be back. HAVE FUN, RACE SMART.

2014-04-07 3:30 PM
in reply to: tallytom

Quick question...Is it a good idea to decrease the PSI in the tires? I did IMTX last year and did not do that. I'm thinking that the heat will expand the tire to normal psi...is that why?

Scott
2014-04-08 9:55 AM
in reply to: tallytom

Veteran
Originally posted by tallytom

Just wanted to pass along some info based on my race there last year. I'm racing IMCDA this year.

1) Loved the race, venue, town and whole scene there. I'll definitely b going back. Take it all in.

2) The Swim, actually it was very nice for me. It opened up about 1/2 mile into it. I kept on thinking, the water temperature was great and felt very pleasant (just wore a speed suit). The canal coming in is awesome. My gf found me swimming and ran along the shore. Swim w/in your means and drink some water, etc before you get in the water

3) Bike, It's a long race and last year it was hot. I didn't drink enough and I went out too fast. It caught me at the last 20 miles and cost me. Course isn't terribly exciting once you get out of town, but no big deal. I know a lot of people dropped their psi in tires, but I kept mine at 110 (120allowable). Remember, not to inflate fully until race morning. When get off bike, last year I kept my shoes on instead of flying dismount. Thankfully, I did because the ashphalt burned a lot of racers feet that were bare. Hills aren't really any big deal and quite frankly the roads are not in bad shape and I ride on glass like roads where I live. Did I say hydrate.

4) The run, cramped on and off the entire time due to over doing bike in beginning and really not drinking enough. Will say loved the run course, the spectators, and everything about it. I remember, I should have packed some of my favorite drink in my special needs bag. Only one section where you'll feel alone or no crowd support. A lot of good athletes were seeking aid and getting carted off, due to heat stress. Race w/in your means and take it all in.

5) Finish line was electric and although I came up very short on goal, I loved Texas and def will be back. HAVE FUN, RACE SMART.

I have volunteered at five different IM venues. this finish line is by farrrrr the most awesome one of all The restaurants and bars surround the finish line - meaning everyone waiting for anyone, or even if their anyone already finished and went to bed, sits here and drinks and eats and then gets into the party atmosphere of the finish line. the others, especially Florida, pretty lame in comparison. this is where you want to finish your IM!
2014-04-08 12:49 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Elite
Originally posted by sheesleeva

Originally posted by tallytom

I have volunteered at five different IM venues. this finish line is by farrrrr the most awesome one of all The restaurants and bars surround the finish line - meaning everyone waiting for anyone, or even if their anyone already finished and went to bed, sits here and drinks and eats and then gets into the party atmosphere of the finish line. the others, especially Florida, pretty lame in comparison. this is where you want to finish your IM!

Thanks for the info! I did IMKY in 2010 and that finish is pretty exciting, too.
Some of my buds that have raced IMFL told me the same thing you've mentioned...lame finish.
So many ppl talk about the finish at IMTX that I'm looking forward to seeing it!
2014-04-09 4:59 PM

User image

Andover, KS
FYI, It looks like the 2014 athlete's guide went up today.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/texas/athl...
2014-04-10 6:55 AM
in reply to: mc_charles

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Originally posted by mc_charles FYI, It looks like the 2014 athlete's guide went up today. http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/texas/athl...

Thanks for the update I had just looked at the site yesterday and it wasn't there. On a side note mc charles I am a 1976 Graduate of Andover High School Yes I just dated myself

2014-04-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: tri/tbay

User image

Andover, KS
Originally posted by tri/tbay

Originally posted by mc_charles FYI, It looks like the 2014 athlete's guide went up today. http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/texas/athl...

Thanks for the update I had just looked at the site yesterday and it wasn't there. On a side note mc charles I am a 1976 Graduate of Andover High School Yes I just dated myself

Small world!
2014-04-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: mc_charles

Regular
Houston, Texas
What are the odds this cool weather sticks around for a few more weeks?
2014-04-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: awal1

User image

Elite
Originally posted by awal1

What are the odds this cool weather sticks around for a few more weeks?

Slim to none...
2014-04-16 2:47 PM

User image

Florida
I'm remaining optimistic that we will have better weather this year than in prior years. I also did a little research. "Supposedly", the average high temp in the Woodlands on May 17 is 83 degrees with lows in the lower 60's. With the weather being hot the past few years, aren't the odds in our favor for a more normal day?

Last monster week of training and then I come down slightly next week.
2014-04-16 4:02 PM
in reply to: docfish

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-04-16 6:43 PM
in reply to: Qak180

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Think of it this way.  You do not get a transition area at Ironman races.  You cannot place your stuff next to your bike like at most other races.  All of your stuff goes into gear bags.  You get a swim to bike bag and a bike to run bag.  You place all your bike related stuff in the swim to bike bag (helmet, shoes, gloves, sunglasses, socks, etc.) and all your run related stuff in the bike to run bag (running shoes, hat, socks, sunglasses, etc.).  You will have changing tents to go into to do your transitions.  Once you get all your bike stuff out of the swim to bike bag you will put all your swim stuff in it to be picked up after the race.  Likewise, in T2 you would put all your bike stuff in the bike to run bag after you removed all your run stuff.

It's actually pretty self-explanatory once you're there.

2014-04-16 6:55 PM
in reply to: docfish

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by docfish I'm remaining optimistic that we will have better weather this year than in prior years. I also did a little research. "Supposedly", the average high temp in the Woodlands on May 17 is 83 degrees with lows in the lower 60's. With the weather being hot the past few years, aren't the odds in our favor for a more normal day? Last monster week of training and then I come down slightly next week.

Last 10 years high temps on May 17th in the 77380 zip code:

2004 - 86

2005 - 82

2006 - 84

2007 - 80

2008 - 73

2009 - 75

2010 - 91

2011 - 84

2012 - 88

2013 - 90

IMTX race day highs were 91, 89, and 91 in 2011, 2012 and 2013.  Probably due for a "cooler" race day one of these years but I'd still bank on 90.

2014-04-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Regular
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Think of it this way.  You do not get a transition area at Ironman races.  You cannot place your stuff next to your bike like at most other races.  All of your stuff goes into gear bags.  You get a swim to bike bag and a bike to run bag.  You place all your bike related stuff in the swim to bike bag (helmet, shoes, gloves, sunglasses, socks, etc.) and all your run related stuff in the bike to run bag (running shoes, hat, socks, sunglasses, etc.).  You will have changing tents to go into to do your transitions.  Once you get all your bike stuff out of the swim to bike bag you will put all your swim stuff in it to be picked up after the race.  Likewise, in T2 you would put all your bike stuff in the bike to run bag after you removed all your run stuff.

It's actually pretty self-explanatory once you're there.

+1 what GMAN said. There are also volunteers all over the place to help you. You really can't screw it up. One will hand you the bag on the way into the tent, in the tent usually one will hold it open for you and ask what you need next, then one will put all your swim/bike stuff back in the bag and put it back for you.
2014-04-17 8:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-17 9:23 AM
in reply to: Qak180

Regular
Houston, Texas
Just remember to call out your number as you come in to make it easier on them. Same thing for special needs and both transitions.

2014-04-20 12:45 AM

Canyon, Texas
Does anyone know the approximate dimensions of the T1, T2 and SN bags? Thanks!
2014-04-20 7:50 AM
in reply to: tlancer23

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I'd say they're around 18x18 or 20x20.

2014-04-21 12:38 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Canyon, Texas
This article on the course was posted a few days ago, I thought ya'll would like to take a peek at it. http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/texas/athl...

Also, what is the deal with a mile being between T1 and Swim Start? "Plan accordingly"? Could someone please explain this to me; the author seems to be alluding to walking the mile to the start?
2014-04-21 7:36 AM
in reply to: tlancer23

Conroe,Tx
yes there is a mile walk to the swim start. makes for a few more minutes of anticipation. and a chance to see some really funny signs.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by uhcoog
Views: 14187 Posts: 101

2013-04-12 9:56 PM Grat

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by ernestov
Views: 69075 Posts: 1060

2013-05-28 1:01 PM jte463

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 26033 Posts: 156

2012-12-27 7:47 PM FranzZemen

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57

Started by papson14
Views: 132753 Posts: 1419

2012-06-03 7:33 AM KathyG

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread

Started by thunderfoot
Views: 3987 Posts: 7

2011-04-04 9:59 AM Gawaine79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: