General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am i the only loser who can't get their bike on a trainer in less than 15 minutes?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-30 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Subject: Am i the only loser who can't get their bike on a trainer in less than 15 minutes??
Ok, in my defense, no one has showed me how to do this and all the YouTube videos are of new pretty trainers, not the older (but fully functional) model I borrowed. Everyone seems to just "pop" their bike on. I seem to wrestle it like an angry alligator on. Why is it so incredibly difficult? Am I really that big of a tool? Thanks for helpful suggestions. I don't know what model it is, other than it's heavy and white and about 10 years old.

2013-08-30 9:57 AM
in reply to: pilot_e

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Am i the only loser who can't get their bike on a trainer in less than 15 minutes??

I think the answer to your first question is yes.

Laughing

Seriously, I have to line up the brackets perfectly otherwise it's a total nightmare.

2013-08-30 9:58 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Am i the only loser who can't get their bike on a trainer in less than 15 minutes??
a picture of your indoor trainer would be most helpful
2013-08-30 10:11 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Yeah, i know, but I'm at work. Will post something this weekend. It shoudln't be so difficult!
2013-08-30 10:58 AM

User image

Elite
For me it's not difficult getting my bike on the trainer, it's finding the sweet spot where I like the tension.
2013-08-30 10:59 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
Originally posted by strykergt

a picture of your indoor trainer would be most helpful

Wow 15 minutes. I also want to see a picture of this thing. It takes me like 2 seconds. You know that back wheel goes on the trainer! lol

2013-08-30 11:05 AM

User image

New Egypt, NJ
It takes me 15 minutes, but that includes dragging my bike into the basement, running back up for shoes and water. Forgetting to pump up the tires and running back up the stairs to get the pump. Pumping up tires. Putting the bike on trainer, adjusting tension and placing block under front. Putting on shoes, heart rate monitor and jumping on trainer. Forgetting to turn on TV and grab remote. Hop on trainer again. Forgetting to turn fan on. Channel surfing for something interesting to watch. By the time I really start riding I'm already sweating like crazy...hehe

Actually putting the bike on trainer, adjust tension and putting the block under the front wheel probably takes 30 seconds. I have CycleOps fluid.
2013-08-30 11:05 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
i believe all indoor trainers comes with their own rear skewer , first step is you have to remove your bike's rear skewer with the trainer's
2013-08-30 11:06 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I can get my bike on the trainer in less than fifteen minutes. Now if you're talking inflating the back tire, getting a towel, putting water in the water bottles, turning on the air and fan in the converted garage, setting up the remote controls and Garmin, getting the workout instructions, getting on the bike shorts, putting on bike shoes, etc.... about 15-30 minutes :D
2013-08-30 11:27 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by strykergt i believe all indoor trainers comes with their own rear skewer , first step is you have to remove your bike's rear skewer with the trainer's

Maybe that is my problem... I'm in the same boat as the OP. I just throw my bike on there with the regular skewer on? I don't remember mine coming with a replacement but it was a long time ago, who knows.

I have a cheap-o older Blackburn trainer and it's definitely a pain to set up. I've put my bike on a Cycle-Ops trainer before and it was literally 5 seconds (no skewer switch out there either). It made me jealous, but not enough to buy a new trainer. 

2013-08-30 11:36 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Hmmm, you folks say 'skewer' and my mind immediately goes to "BBQ"... i know nothing of a skewer. I'll get some specs on this thing and find out if it is a skewer variety... now if it is, do you leave the trainer skewer on the bike all the time, or just when you put it on the trainer?

2013-08-30 11:41 AM

User image

Regular
It takes me a while too. The problem for me has been protecting the carbon / paint on the non drive side of the trainer. I got a replacement cup for my Kurt to fit the speed concept frame on drive side, but the cup would rub my frame raw on the other side if I didn't protect it. So I usually spend 10 minutes mcgyvering some sort of foam or sponge to keep the cup from killing the frame. Then I spend about 20 minutes trying to figure out which crap Netflix movie I'm going to suffer to. Haha.
2013-08-30 11:45 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by pilot_e Hmmm, you folks say 'skewer' and my mind immediately goes to "BBQ"... i know nothing of a skewer. I'll get some specs on this thing and find out if it is a skewer variety... now if it is, do you leave the trainer skewer on the bike all the time, or just when you put it on the trainer?

I use the trainer skewer all the time.  If I wanted to be a complete weight/aero weenie I would swap it but I'm not.... so I don't. 

2013-08-30 11:48 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by strykergt i believe all indoor trainers comes with their own rear skewer , first step is you have to remove your bike's rear skewer with the trainer's

Maybe that is my problem... I'm in the same boat as the OP. I just throw my bike on there with the regular skewer on? I don't remember mine coming with a replacement but it was a long time ago, who knows.

I have a cheap-o older Blackburn trainer and it's definitely a pain to set up. I've put my bike on a Cycle-Ops trainer before and it was literally 5 seconds (no skewer switch out there either). It made me jealous, but not enough to buy a new trainer. 

It depends on the bike and the skewer that comes with it.  The skewer in my bike simply won't fit in a trainer.  However, many bikes do and if it fits then it is fine to use.  You are not going to damage it.  I never switched it out on my old bike.

That being said, I am a big fan of switching the whole wheel out.  And then never bothering with the skewer cause it is on the second wheel already

2013-08-30 11:49 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Payson, AZ
If it make you feel any better OP, my partner would probably just give up and walk away.  
2013-08-30 11:55 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I'm just happy to hear that others have some difficulties too (even if it is just picking out a movie, haha). There's a long dark winter coming up... the garage wall and I will be getting to know one another quite well. This trainer and I need to get along better

2013-08-30 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
2013-08-30 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
I find it really hard to get me on the bike on the trainer - I just prefer riding on roads.

2013-08-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Eh, I really suck at getting my bike on the trainer. I am glad I have an extra bike that lives on the bike trainer. So I never have to mess with it anymore.

Edited by KSH 2013-08-30 12:25 PM
2013-08-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
yeah, but right now my options are "after dark", "you're the only parent at home", or soon enough "winter", so trainer it is.
2013-08-30 4:49 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by pilot_e Hmmm, you folks say 'skewer' and my mind immediately goes to "BBQ"... i know nothing of a skewer. I'll get some specs on this thing and find out if it is a skewer variety... now if it is, do you leave the trainer skewer on the bike all the time, or just when you put it on the trainer?
Skewer is what goes through the wheel hub that is tightened so the wheel doesn't fall off. The picture of the one below is what I use on the trainer.  A cheap road or MTB skewer with round ends that fit into the cups better.  My OEM skewers (Felt) had weird end shapes to them and when I try and use it on the trainer it won't sit square.

One issue I sometimes have getting the bike to sit still while I lift to set it into the trainer because the front wheel will move back and forth.  I'll sometimes use a short bungee cord and wrap it around the tire and frame so that it doesn't twist.  It's not moving on the trainer so it doesn't hurt anything.

2013-08-30 5:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I want to be encouraging, but I truly don't understand what would take that long.

• You have the "mounting cups" sufficiently wide enough apart since you had to remove the bike the last time.
  • Back in the bike until the skewer is in-between the mounting cups
  • Start screwing down the tension until the skewer is seated and you can't turn the tension thingie any more.  I then wiggle the bike to make sure it feels secure.
  • Lift the front end and slid in the riser, straighten things out visually.

What are you doing more/differently or where is the problem occurring?

I agree, getting the tension in the back wheel can be annoying.  I find that if I leave it one spot, and inflate my wheel to the same pressure every time, I never have to mess with this anymore.

I have the El Cheapo version from the internet, less than $100.  It appears to have the same parts as the one in the picture.

I do put in the trainer skewer (takes 30 secs...) and install the trainer tire when I am putting the bike down for the winter.  Don't even get me started on that flippin' tire...

The trainer skewer is sturdier and heavier than the one that came with your bike, if you have a nice bike.  You can certainly use a modern skewer in a modern trainer without trouble (as far as I've seen).  I leave the bike road ready if I happen to use it on the trainer "during the season."

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-08-30 5:43 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am i the only loser who can't get their bike on a trainer in less than 15 minutes?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Managed to walk for 15 minutes

Started by r1237h
Views: 1633 Posts: 14

2010-12-09 10:19 PM GmrGirl

Lifetime Fitness - My 15 minutes of fame

Started by zia_cyclist
Views: 1467 Posts: 17

2007-07-05 11:51 AM TacomaLuv

My 15 minutes of fame

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 1130 Posts: 20

2005-09-10 3:56 PM smokeater1833

my 15 minutes!

Started by autumn
Views: 972 Posts: 11

2005-08-11 7:42 PM BellinghamSpence

My 15 minutes of fame

Started by max
Views: 939 Posts: 13

2005-08-01 1:46 PM trimom3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.