General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-31 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Subject: Hoka
Ok curiosity is KILLInG me. I got to try these shoes. I run 90 percent dirt roads and 5 percent trails when I can drive up to the mountains and 5 percent paved roads. Which shoe should I get of the Hoka line. I am currently running in saicony peregrine on dirt and mirage 3 on roads. Thanks guys. PS I'm ordering a NAO headlamp today. Any major complaints from anyone.

2013-09-01 9:45 AM
in reply to: kstater39

User image

Maryland
Subject: RE: Hoka
I love the idea of Hoka's. I know thousands of runners can't be wrong. But I have tried four different styles, some in multiple sizes. I never t found a pair that made me really happy. I have run in them on the road and have taken them on the trail. The craftsmanship frustrated me. I had one tongue sewn in crooked. In another pair, the outer tread was separating from the shoe right out of the box. I purchased the shoes from retailers that allowed for 30 or 90 day returns, no questions asked. Ultimately, I returned them all. If I'm going to drop in excess of $150 on a pair of shoes, they have got to be right. For me they never were. I wish you luck with your purchase.
2013-10-22 3:31 PM

User image

Pro

well, gee,

the Hoka's would be the opposite of the Mirage and Peregrine.  they're both low to the ground shoes.

I'm pretty sure that there is no right shoe for everyone.  So- thousands of people wearing Hoka's may not be wrong for themselves, but only you can figure out if they will work for you.

2013-10-22 5:25 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
I went from merrell gloves to hokas and kept rolling my ankles. I now use Altra for longer runs and am very pleased with them.
2013-12-16 10:18 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Pro

I just read 18 pages of positive reviews (and back and forth personal criticisms that you normally find) on Slowtwitch.

Probably 50 comments on being worried about rolling ankles, but each said they hadn't (yet).  

Anyway- my training for my 1st 50 miler (march 1st) is going well, but I need to get some proper trail shoes.  I have no idea what kind to get.  Thinking seriously about some Hoka's.

49.  injury prone.  134lbs.  flat footed-pronator.  I wear lightly supportive shoes (DS Trainers, Mizuno Wave Elixers, Lunarglides are cushy long run shoes)  Good cadence and form- light heel to mid-foot striker.  Achilles, Knee (pattelofemoral), and some hip pain are my standard injuries, with PF not far behind.  So far, all injuries are nicely as bay. 

My local shop just called me today. they got the trail version (Stinsons?) in in my size.  Damn they're ugly.  Guess there's no real way to know if they'll work for you but to buy a pair and run 500 miles in them (not in one day).  

Ran with the local trail runners group last weekend, and there was a lot of discussion and interest about the Hokas.  Many had converted.

2013-12-17 6:04 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I have been doing most of my long runs (on concrete) in a pair of Bondi's. I like the cushioning and feel of the Bondi, but neither pair I've owned have been durable. The sole wore quickly and the upper side of the toe box wore through at around 400-miles. I just bought a pair of Stinson Trails for trails runs. Wore them in a 50k last week and they were great! I may look into the Stinson Tarmac for my next "training" shoe.

2013-12-17 8:03 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Pro

hmmm.  400 miles?  I was hoping that with that much cushion, you'd get a lot more mileage out of them. Not a great Dollars per Mile ratio given the cost of these things.  I guess Hoka figures you should pay by thickness?  

I can't figure out the difference between the various models by looking at the Hoka web site. 

2013-12-17 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by kstater39

Ok curiosity is KILLInG me.

I finally gave in the curiosity as well and ordered a pair. They were simply awful for my feet. Everyone's foot is different so you'll never know if they're great for you unless you try them. Personally I couldn't even walk across the room in them they were just that uncomfortable. Too tight in the toe area, too loose in the heels (even with tying them correctly). The tongue just felt weird and they were way too high cut on my ankles to where they were hitting that ball on the outside of my foot. Needless to say I sent them back. YMMV as so many people love them. Get them from somewhere with a good return policy, if your local stores don't sell them I used Zappos.
2013-12-18 3:22 PM
in reply to: erin116

User image

Pro

Tried on a few pair last night at my local running shop.  Each had a slightly different feel.  the Bondi's had the most 'rocker', the Mafete's were just as cushy and more stable, the  Stinson Trail- I dunno, felt like the Mafete I guess, and the Rapa Nui which was lighter and thinner.  Still cushy compared to a regular shoe, but quite a bit less detached than the fatter ones.  

I really wanted to like one of these- but they all fit about the same on my foot, which was poorly.  toes were rubbing on the sides, heel cup too big, digging in below my ankles, footbed had too much arch for my flat feet.  They just felt like after 20 miles I'd be in some serious discomfort.  

Maybe if I put some inserts in them?  Tried that too.  closer with the green superfeet, not so great with the carbon black superfeet..  nothing was perfect.  Need a good pair of trail ultra shoes- don't know what to get.  I don't like the fit of the Cascadia's- which I've also tried on.

2013-12-19 5:14 AM

User image

I tried the Hoka's and did not like any of them. They are comfortable but the rocking was just too much for me. I tried the Altra's, not as much cushioning but very comfortable. The Altra's are what I run in now and they are very durable too. My first pair has 600 miles on them and still going strong.
2013-12-19 12:52 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Pro

I ended up getting a pair of Solomon S-lab XT6 Softground.  they fit very comfortably and have good support.  Given my rocky terrain, I really shouldn't have the 'softground' version but the regular XT6, but they didn't have those in stock.  Not nearly as cush as the Hoka's, but at least they fit and are comfortable.  That's pretty important.  took my first trail run in them this morning.

basic problem I see with them is that they are designed with a coating around the bottom of the upper- presumably to keep out mud and water.  Well, that also serves to trap water inside them.  Plus- they don't breathe like a running shoe- so my foot came out pretty wet from sweat after just a 1 hr run in 40 degree weather this morning.  

(resizeImage.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
resizeImage.jpg (47KB - 7 downloads)

2014-01-03 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Wow. Not a lot of love for the Hoka here. I'll represent the other side. I've been running in Hoka's since they came out with their very first model. I have two pair with over 1000 miles on them and neither pair is fully retired. I have two more pair in my current primary rotation and a fifth pair unopened in my closet that I picked up on sale. I use the Bondi for road and the Maefette for trail. The only time I run in anything other than a Hoka is if I have to endure some treadmill miles and then I bring out the Kayano's.

I LOVE my Hoka's. I have completed three 100 milers in them without having to change shoes mid race.

Like anything else, they are not for everyone. They are for me.
2014-01-03 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am a believer as well. I have always had a tendency to do "too much, too soon" which has resulted in me having issues with shin splints, and even a couple of tibial stress fx's. I have switched over to Hoka shoes and love them. For me personally, I went from minimal running to running 4 or 5 x's a week now. I have learned the hard way over the years and have focused on what my friend calls "KISS". Keep It Simple Stupid!

-Have found a shoe that works for me
-Daily Stretching
-Massage, Compression gear, Ice
-Slowing down my pace
-More trail running, softer surfaces on long runs

I went from dropping last summers 1/2 Ironman tri to only an aqua bike event due to running injuries, but am planning on returning for the whole 70.3 this summer 2014. Iam also focusing on my first 50k trail run next September.

I have used the Bondi B and also the Mafate 3 Hoka's. Love them both. For me, I have benefited from the extra cushioning. They have allowed me to run longer, have less muscle soreness following long runs, and have allowed me to slowly ramp up miles coming back from injuries.

As far as price, YES, they can be a little high, but shop around. Zappos just had Mafate model for only $128--New Years Day sale!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka Rss Feed