Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Would you stop and help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Would you stop and help?
OptionResults
I'd stop51 Votes - [78.46%]
I'd keep going1 Votes - [1.54%]
I'd keep going but would tell next volunteer someone needed help12 Votes - [18.46%]
It's a RACE - need my PR1 Votes - [1.54%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2013-09-03 1:17 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Would you stop and help?

Threads like this interest me.

I personally don't think there is a yes or no answer.  I think I'm bright enough to figure out in a case by case situation whether or not it's prudent to stop.

If I see it go down?  I stop.  If I'm first on the scene?  I stop.  If they crash at an aid station?  I roll along.   Once I saw someone getting attended to b paramedics with the ambulance parked 10' away.  So am I a bad guy for racing right by the scene?

Critisize me if you want, but honestly, I have NEVER stoped for someone in a race.  Why?  Becuase in every instance, they were already being attended to or waived me on when I called to see if they needed help.

If I was a trained paramedic?  Maybe I would stop and still see if they need additional assistance even if they are already being attended to.

2013-09-03 2:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I have stopped, and I have slowed to be sure someone is OK.  I usually don't if the person is being attended to already tho. They are awake alert and talking and have help.....slow to be sure and make sure they have help but keep going.   I am in the medical field so most likely I can help but if they are already on a back board being loaded into the truck not much I can do. If its obvious I can't help I have hustled to the next aide station to get the person help. I have also flagged down race officials.  I can't give medical help with what is in my saddle bag.  I could probably prevent someone wihtout medical training from doing something stupid to an unconcious person util help arrived.

Edited by Socks 2013-09-03 2:25 PM
2013-09-03 2:16 PM
in reply to: Kido

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Kido

Threads like this interest me.

I personally don't think there is a yes or no answer.  I think I'm bright enough to figure out in a case by case situation whether or not it's prudent to stop.

If I see it go down?  I stop.  If I'm first on the scene?  I stop.  If they crash at an aid station?  I roll along.   Once I saw someone getting attended to b paramedics with the ambulance parked 10' away.  So am I a bad guy for racing right by the scene?

Critisize me if you want, but honestly, I have NEVER stoped for someone in a race.  Why?  Becuase in every instance, they were already being attended to or waived me on when I called to see if they needed help.

If I was a trained paramedic?  Maybe I would stop and still see if they need additional assistance even if they are already being attended to.

Yes, there is no right or wrong answer, just a case-by-case situation/circumstance and what is going on as how you provided and how you would react.

Being a good citizen/representative of this sport doesn't ALWAYS mean that you should be the one to stop for every case, no matter what.

Maybe we should ask the Pros and/or Elites?

2013-09-03 2:19 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

NC
Originally posted by Kido

Once I saw someone getting attended to b paramedics with the ambulance parked 10' away.  So am I a bad guy for racing right by the scene?

Critisize me if you want, but honestly, I have NEVER stoped for someone in a race. 

Have you really read anything in this thread that would suggest anyone would be critical of a race participant that didn't stop if they came upon an accident with medical personnel already on the scene?

2013-09-03 3:13 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Kido Once I saw someone getting attended to b paramedics with the ambulance parked 10' away.  So am I a bad guy for racing right by the scene?

Critisize me if you want, but honestly, I have NEVER stoped for someone in a race. 

Have you really read anything in this thread that would suggest anyone would be critical of a race participant that didn't stop if they came upon an accident with medical personnel already on the scene?

That's an odd question.  But to answer it.  No, I didn't read anything that would suggest that nor did I make any such claims/accusations.

2013-09-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Originally posted by lisac957

Absolutely. My race/time/bike split is worth so much less than someone's LIFE. 

If there were already others stopped though, I would slow and ask if they needed anything. Too many people trying to help often has the opposite effect.

^^ This X2. 

2013-09-03 4:07 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

over a barrier
If others were on the scene, no I wouldn't stop. If the crash just happened and I was first to arrive...yes.

Recently crashed and had 3 guys stop and dig me out of a ditch and was very thankful that were there to convince me to stop riding. They could tell my CB was broken, I thought it just felt crunchy and was fine. Walked with me until a car arrived to take me to an ER.
2013-09-03 4:12 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by running2far

If others were on the scene, no I wouldn't stop. If the crash just happened and I was first to arrive...yes.

Recently crashed and had 3 guys stop and dig me out of a ditch and was very thankful that were there to convince me to stop riding. They could tell my CB was broken, I thought it just felt crunchy and was fine. Walked with me until a car arrived to take me to an ER.

You use a CB too? What channel are you on and what's your handle?
2013-09-03 4:24 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by running2far If others were on the scene, no I wouldn't stop. If the crash just happened and I was first to arrive...yes. Recently crashed and had 3 guys stop and dig me out of a ditch and was very thankful that were there to convince me to stop riding. They could tell my CB was broken, I thought it just felt crunchy and was fine. Walked with me until a car arrived to take me to an ER.
You use a CB too? What channel are you on and what's your handle?

Breaker ... breaker ... whoops, literally.

2013-09-04 8:02 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I would stop...... and have. At last year's early season A race.

It hurt to throw away my time goal but I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I didn't.

How do we know that no one stopped to help Yanti? Was this posted somewhere?
2013-09-04 3:58 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

I'd stop, have before and will again, because I really couldn't care less about my race time....but I have no problem with the people who don't.... it's probably reasonable to assume they WILL get help. 

BTW, these threads always crack me up......there is nobody who said they wouldn't at least yell out to see if someone was ok.....but in real life, I've seen a lot of crashes where a lot of people rode by without doing or saying anything......I guess they haven't found BT yet. Laughing

I'm on BT!!!

Highly depends on the situation, but for your common crashes and mechanicals during a race, I'm just going to ride by.  And in these situations, I generally go by the motto of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." 

2013-09-04 4:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Jason N
Originally posted by Left Brain

I'd stop, have before and will again, because I really couldn't care less about my race time....but I have no problem with the people who don't.... it's probably reasonable to assume they WILL get help. 

BTW, these threads always crack me up......there is nobody who said they wouldn't at least yell out to see if someone was ok.....but in real life, I've seen a lot of crashes where a lot of people rode by without doing or saying anything......I guess they haven't found BT yet. Laughing

I'm on BT!!!

Highly depends on the situation, but for your common crashes and mechanicals during a race, I'm just going to ride by.  And in these situations, I generally go by the motto of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." 

Way to step up, Jason!!

2013-09-04 8:53 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
IM Louisville I stopped 4x on the bike, 3 for crashes, 1 to help a friend, 2x on the run for people that just fell over. OH BTW I got a tooth knocked at mile 20 of the bike. Damn right I finished
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Would you stop and help? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Help me stop my smoke detectors!

Started by sungirl919
Views: 3475 Posts: 21

2012-05-17 12:07 AM Left Brain

Mole Man of Hackney is ordered to stop

Started by autumn
Views: 665 Posts: 7

2006-08-08 9:55 PM Lara

help me stop being pissssed off..

Started by Sharkie
Views: 910 Posts: 22

2006-07-28 8:25 PM foolproof

Google must be stopped! Pages: 1 2

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 4796 Posts: 47

2013-11-25 7:49 AM tuwood

world's longest non-stop mountain bike race

Started by autumn
Views: 879 Posts: 2

2005-07-16 8:39 PM So Fresh So Clean
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day

date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.
date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.