multirace.com
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 47s
Overall Rank = 105/187
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/17
Pre-race routine:

OJ at home. Banana, Cliff bar w/ Small DD coffee (some caffeinated) in the car.
Event warmup:

Walk 5 min. Jog 3 min. Stretch. Brief swim in the lake to warm up.
Swim
  • 08m 54s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started to the right and waited 10s to start, as planned. Biggest of the 3 waves. Some type of anxiety phenomena about 1/3 into it. I had tinted goggles, and the water was murky. Sighting every 4-5 breaths. Then got to feeling uncertain and hesitant, so I did some breast stroke. Tried to restart freestyle several times, but reverted to breast stroke. Did last 50 yds freestyle strong until I could touch the sandy bottom and got out. Out of breath. With all that, I met my goal of finishing the swim in under 9 minutes. Go figure.
What would you do differently?:

Train OWS when possible.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Transition took longer because I ride in my running shoes, so had to rinse/dry feet and put on socks and running shoes, which was the biggest time suck. Still, I practiced ahead of time and it went according to plan. Met goal of under 2 minutes. Toe clips not pedal clips with cleats. Set left side crank at 45 degrees and pre-set gears correctly. Came flying out and had an awesome running start. Passed several road bikers who had stopped to mount. :)

Nothing
Bike
  • 33m 26s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Very pleased with time. Only broke 17 mph in training once, and that was low 17's. Printout following race showed 17.95 mph.

Got down into "aero" tuck on straightaways in 14th gear. My tire (30mm) is 1-3/8" and Fat Tire category was 1-1/2" so I kept it honest. For comparison, I was under 2 minutes off from fastest "Fat Tire" finisher. Water in bottles tasted bitter for some reason. Usually would have taken a bottle, but maybe drank half.

I was passed by a lot of tri bikes and one or two street bikes. Only passed by one "fat tire" guy on a mountain bike. Probably in my age group. Very pleased.

Took two gels about 10 minutes out from T2. Last couple hundred yards, pulled up on pedals to give running muscles some relief (per Chi Running video).

Not much. Maybe more training in even higher gears and some speed/strength training so I could push it even more. Might even get a slightly fatter tire so I could race in my true category.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Running dismount, as practiced, was awesome. Running shoes were already on, so transition was very quick. Stopped to stretch spine and level pelvis to ready for the run.

Nothing. Very pleased.
Run
  • 26m
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

After the faster-than-normal bike, legs felt very burnt at first, despite strategies during bike. Legs felt heavy. Just kept moving. Some comisertating with other runner! :) Then, after a mile or so, legs started loosening up, and I picked up the pace. I passed a handful of runners on first loop. Water at both stations. Second loop, as planned, I picked up the pace and focused on good form and moving legs faster. Last 1/2 mile picked up pace and skipped water. Last 1/4 mile or so, I sprinted. Passed 6-9 runners, including some of the road speedsters who passed me on the bike! Felt great coming across the finish line. Got high 5s from son on the run. Heard wife and kids cheering for me at each pass by the spectator area. Was thrilling!

Run goal has 8 min/mile, but with that bike split, it was hard to go faster the first loop.

Work on the bike-to-run transitions more in training.
Post race
Warm down:

Snacks. Reunion with family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hard bike. However, if I had backed off on bike and ran at my goal pace of 8 min/mile, overall time would have been slower.

Event comments:

Multirace was very professional. A couple of the bike racks were poorly assembled, and they were right out to fix them. Very clear communication and helpfulness.

Last updated: 2013-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:54 | 440 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 92/187
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri-top and tri-shorts
Course: Straight shot across the lake. Murky water. No visibility.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:26 | 10 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 133/187
Wind: None
Course: Flat. Flat. Flat. 2 loops. No traffic. Very peaceful.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:00 | 03 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/17
Overall: 88/187
Course: 2 loops. Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-01 9:49 AM

User image

Subject: Labor Day Triathalon

2013-09-01 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4844198

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Labor Day Triathalon
Congrats on a great race! 2:00/100 swimming is a decent pace without doing breaststroke so once you feel more comfortable in the water, you'll be fast. 18 mph is impressive on a hybrid! 8:30/mile running is a decent pace too. You definitely rocked your first tri!
2013-09-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4844198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: Labor Day Triathalon
Fantastic job! What ransick said. To get over reverting to breast stroke, you just have to do more OWS and practice sighting. Congrats, triathlete!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Labor Day Triathalon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Labor Day Five Mile Run

Started by rtocco
Views: 744 Posts: 2

2006-09-04 5:05 PM CoachH

Labor Day 30K

Started by rkreuser
Views: 1180 Posts: 4

2006-09-03 2:48 PM Chippy

Labor Day Weekend Run

Started by StarGazer
Views: 860 Posts: 2

2006-09-02 4:34 PM TBZ

Lake of the Pines Labor Day Triathlon

Started by dhlundblad
Views: 1654 Posts: 7

2005-09-10 2:48 PM oipolloi

CrossRoads Labor Day 5K

Started by cathrone
Views: 915 Posts: 2

2005-09-06 9:05 AM bmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Ron
Good tips for training and race-day
date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on carbohydrate loading leading up to triathlon race day.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
Some gear you may want to pack...includes general, swim, bike and run specifics. Don't forget your bike!