General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Virginia Beach, Virginia
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

VABeach is over 2 hours from my place. I spent the day before the race helping in the Brooks Run Happy Island then drove up to Marilyn's place for the night. Did not realize she lived over an hour from the race and we still had to get up at 3:45 to get there.
My navigation at that inhuman hour sucked and I almost took a wrong turn. Marilyn called me to correct me and for some stupid reason it wasn't going through my car sync mode and I couldn't hear her....Anyway I got corrected and on the right road....Made it down fine--then once I hit Princess Anne Parkway to get to the shuttle site traffic came to a halt. I think it took 30 minutes from the time I hit Princess Anne to get to the parking lot. Literally parked at 5:59 and the last shuttles to the race start were at 6 AM. Boarded and nibbled on that pumpkin-flax granola from our swag bag.
Got to the Convention Center, found bag drop off and hopped in line for the porta potties. Unfortunately, the shortest line stopped moving once my butt was in it for about 10 minutes. At about 6:55 I gave up and decided to just take my chances for potties on the course.
Event warmup:

My heart rate was already up from stressing about the traffic snafus and waiting for the potties! I did some stretching while standing in the line.
What else? Some gu....find the corral......hang out and wait for my wave to go off.
Run
  • 2h 27m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a train through race about halfway through my marathon plan. I still do not fully understand WHY a half marathon is necessary part way through a full marathon plan. BUT, I was given a free entry from Brooks (LOVE being a Brooks Fanatic!) and it fit into my plan so I did it. I guess if I had a better understanding of the rationale why it was needed I might have put more thought/ effort into the logistics.....I wound up looking at the day as a well supported long training day in a different location.
Given that it started off low to mid 70's with fairly high humidity at race start I decided to go conservative. Tucked in behind the 2:15 pace group and held that for more than half the course. Somewhere after the 10K I took a walk break through the aid stations approach. That helped me get through with nutrition and hydration....
After mile 9 the wheels fell off. I was hurting all over and still am not sure why, this is my seventh HM. I don't usually suffer on them. Think the heat got to me, my HR was a lot higher than it has been in training. Took walk breaks as needed and would start back running when I felt better.
Finally got to mile 10-11 where they were passing out popsicles--God bless the people doing this. Between those and the lady with the bowl of grapes....and people with hoses there is a special place in heaven for the kindness of these folks. Not official race volunteers, just nice spectators....
Mile 12, no more walk breaks allowed. Just run. Notice the female vocalist has a pretty voice from this band....
Mile 13 and we are on the boardwalk. Now I go to Ocean City MD all the time I KNOW a boardwalk is supposed to be wooden. This thing is some nasty cement sidewalk that is no fun and I swear the last 0.2 miles seemed to take fact-ing FOREVER.
The finish line was kind of a let down. They keep handing you stuff (water, gatorade, chocolate milk, banana, pretzels, medal, wet towel....) but there is no way that I can see to get onto the beach to let the water wash over the legs.
I started to feel nauseas (and NO I didn't take all that stuff they gave me and eat it all at once) Found my dry bag to change to flip flops and tried to search for Marilyn and Neil but just felt lousy so I hit the shuttle back to my car.
What would you do differently?:

I paced conservatively given the humidity. If I had a better understanding of the rationale for the HM halfway through marathon plan I might have structured my race plan more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around finding my stuff and the shuttle stop

What limited your ability to perform faster:

too Faching HOT & humid

don't feel well

Event comments:

RnR is a good series. I have nothing bad to say about the race or the organizers....It was just not my day

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:27:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat. From the convention center it weaves around the beach to a bridge then onto General Smallwood. Long and boring road, the bands were okay--not terrific and some of them played too slow/ soft music for the venue. Past the aquarium. Can someone tell me WHY an aquarium has a freaking BUTTERFLY logo? Shouldn't it be some sort of FISH??? Keep running, eventually turn onto President Rd to Prosperity. Somewhere around the 8 mile mark we hit a military base. Very cool to run through the base, the active duty personnel assisting the course logistics were awesome. Back to General Smallwood then a couple of zig zags to finish on the boardwalk which is not like any boardwalk I have ever been on. I am used to WOODEN boardwalks...this was cement and no fun--but it was nice to finish with the ocean in view.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-01 3:17 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon

2013-09-01 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4844297

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon
Good effort in the face of mother nature!

I'm excited that fall (should be) right around the corner - lower temps and zero humidity I bet you are too.
2013-09-02 6:03 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job persevering through the heat and humidity.  It is tough to push the effort when the humidity is through the roof!!

2013-09-02 6:37 AM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Way to hang tough.  Onward to the marathon!
2013-09-02 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Judi, really good job working through the heat and humidity. It has been a tough summer and it seems like you made the proper choices during your race to get you to the end in as a good a position as possible.

Way to tough it out.

2013-09-02 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
You did a great job in that heat. If it was anything like it was up here it was a killer day for running. Being a train through you dealt with what was there and the mental effort was good. This is money in the bank for later.

2013-09-02 10:41 AM
in reply to: dexter

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-02 11:35 AM

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Nice job keeping at it in spite of the hot n muggy.It was nice to read about the RnR since I have one coming up.
2013-09-02 4:45 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Orlando
Heat and humidity can suck it out of you. Great job getting it done in tough conditions.
2013-09-02 8:07 PM
in reply to: amd723

Expert
Illinois
Way to go Judi. My heart rate shot up reading about the traffic conditions and the port a pottie situation. Sounds like a lot of stress!!
2013-09-02 8:38 PM
in reply to: abake

Regular
LHOTP

Oh Sparkley One!

I'm sorry this was such a suck fest for you.  Hot and humid is no way to go through a race.  And getting lost on the way to a race is so freakin stressful--btdt and hate it.

I hope you can just tuck this one away as an"experience" and move on to bigger and better.  Surely it will cool down for us all soon.

Hugs to you :)

2013-09-03 11:29 AM

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Nice run.... it was brutal out there.. way to crank thru...

I just survived it... no training really..
2013-09-03 11:43 AM
in reply to: momo

Seattle

Heat and humidity are ca-razy.

I think you did great!

2013-09-03 1:57 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Pennsylvania

Heat + humidity = BOOOOO

Grapes + popsicles = YAY!!!!!

Nice job gettin' 'er done.  Hopefully your next event will be cooler.

2013-09-03 3:06 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Sounds like the heat and humidity were brutal, but slow/soft music and a "butterfly aquarium"?  Unforgiveable!  Wink

An old running partner always called these "one in the bank," as you make the painful deposit in training but get to make a withdrawl at the next race, so good on ya' for gutting it out.  It'll serve you well come marathon day.

Matt

2013-09-04 12:09 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Sorry it was so much suckage You kept at it, though, and that's gotta count for some positive feelings!

2013-09-10 9:09 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Champion
Calgary
I think at 3:00 a.m. we all kind of wonder why we bother with anything. But I think the reason is that a good tempo pace for marathon training is between your 10k and your HM pace. But for slower runners it should be closer to your 10k pace, I think.

Sounded like a fun race, good job. I can't wait to hear about the marathon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon

Started by shood
Views: 1064 Posts: 1

2013-01-20 2:43 AM shood

Started by Scalded_Dawg
Views: 1858 Posts: 4

2012-09-03 10:05 AM kkcbelle

Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon

Started by mscott203
Views: 762 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 1:56 PM mscott203

Rock 'n' Roll Miami Beach Half Marathon

Started by stephsprint
Views: 1322 Posts: 2

2011-12-13 7:22 AM Cuetoy

Started by burkesj
Views: 1327 Posts: 3

2013-09-04 4:18 PM QueenZipp
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.