General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strategy for 112? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-01 9:38 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: Strategy for 112?
I am currently training for IMAZ.
As part of my training I signed up for Redman 9/21 full aqua-bike.
My thinking was it would be better training for *me* than a HIM distance.

I have a really hard time on the bike and am currently suffering with a BAD saddle sore.
Also recovering from a fall at an Oly last weekend. Not a bad fall but enough to dork up my right shoulder.

Today was supposed to be 80 miles, I SAG'd out at 72.
Saddle area was bad, battling nausea, shoulder had given out and it was 95 degrees.

Redman is less than 3 weeks away.

I'd love to read some thoughts regarding my bike training between now and Redman and what strategy I should take during the race itself.
My plan is to use it as a training day, not really a race but the thought of spending 7+ hours on the bike is making me woozy!
Feel free to take a look at my logs, they are current.

TIA

2013-09-02 4:13 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Strategy for 112?
Have you been gradually building up to the 80 mile mark? Having a quick look at your logs suggests that your total distance cycled each week has averaged out as less than 80 miles. If 80 miles is your long ride then your total distance should be much more than this. Also, going from 80 to 112 miles in 3 weeks is a massive jump in distance. Assuming you have a good base it is not impossible but I doubt it will be comfortable. Sorry, this sounds a bit negative but time in the saddle is so important.

Unfortunately the only way to recover from a saddle sore is to take time off the bike. If this has been a long term problem then I would look at a different seat and or cycling shorts. Are you using a chamois cream?
2013-09-02 7:44 AM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by tridantri

Have you been gradually building up to the 80 mile mark? Having a quick look at your logs suggests that your total distance cycled each week has averaged out as less than 80 miles. If 80 miles is your long ride then your total distance should be much more than this. Also, going from 80 to 112 miles in 3 weeks is a massive jump in distance. Assuming you have a good base it is not impossible but I doubt it will be comfortable. Sorry, this sounds a bit negative but time in the saddle is so important.

Unfortunately the only way to recover from a saddle sore is to take time off the bike. If this has been a long term problem then I would look at a different seat and or cycling shorts. Are you using a chamois cream?

Thanks for your reply.
I rode 83 in July. My plan is long bike on Sunday and I have been building that. Plan was to do 80 last month but that didn't not happen, a nutrition issue took me out around 56. I've been biking 3 times a week and thankfully most of my cycling has been outside.
I have also recently switched from a tri bike to a road bike because of my saddle issues. I have also tried out a couple of saddles. I have been fit but am going back this week to see if I can get more comfortable on my tri bike. The road bike is more comfortable in the saddle area but because this is a very new position for me I am fatiguing in other areas.

I agree going from 80 to 112 is a huge jump. I was supposed to be at 90 this past weekend but when the last 80 didn't happen this ride became 80.

Like everyone else I work to find a balance between family (lots of kids), work and we moved this summer but this is stuff all triathletes have to get through.

My plan at Redman is to not stop until past half way and really focus on my nutrition. Again, this is not a race for me but a well supported training day to get ready for IMAZ in November.
2013-09-02 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Just want to say that the jump from 80 to 110 doesn't seem so huge to me- tons of recreational riders do centuries without ever having ridden more than 50 miles in a season. I did back-to-back centuries that way a few years ago. I was sore and had to recover at the end but it wasn't a huge deal.
I'm on expert and I didn't swim 2.4 miles beforehand, but I just want to say you are not crazy to attempt this.
2013-09-02 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
If it was me and I was using it as a training day I would change into your most comfortable biking shorts and lather up with chamois cream in T1. I would bring a extra tube of cream with me on the ride and at half way point get off bike and add some cream to trouble areas. I would get off bike and give your rear a rest when ever you need to. Don't worry about time just finish. Also Redman has some really rough roads make sure and get your butt out of the saddle everytime your about to hit a big bump.

Good luck at Redman! It is a great race I will be doing the 70.3.
2013-09-02 8:29 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by EKH

If it was me and I was using it as a training day I would change into your most comfortable biking shorts and lather up with chamois cream in T1. I would bring a extra tube of cream with me on the ride and at half way point get off bike and add some cream to trouble areas. I would get off bike and give your rear a rest when ever you need to. Don't worry about time just finish. Also Redman has some really rough roads make sure and get your butt out of the saddle everytime your about to hit a big bump.

Good luck at Redman! It is a great race I will be doing the 70.3.

Thanks so much for this post and the previous one as well.

Redman is going to be mental. I feel just completing the distances will be instrumental for IMAZ. I swam 2.5 Saturday in open water non stop. That along with a hilly 47 on Friday I am sure contributed to yesterday being so tough.

In all fairness I have not biked as much as I intended. I have been consistent throughout most of my training other than the week we actually moved into the new house in June where I had 0 miles.

I did go through and add them up and I recommend this to anybody training for long distance because, well, the logs don't lie. My weekly miles riding in decending dates starting with this past week.

58.5, 113, 96, 29, 64, 120.5, 59, 64.5, 86, 89, 79, 0, 39
My week starts on Sunday so yesterday's 72 goes towards this coming week.

Not horrible IMO but not stellar either. The saddle sore has kept me off the bike. Unfortunately, it is a real issue

2013-09-02 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Get that saddle sore healed up! Riding on it only makes it last longer. Have you seen a physician to see if it needs lancing, treatment, or abx?

Did you see the ST saddle tour? It is a program that sets up fit bike exactly to your bike and swaps out saddles so you can try many in a very short amount of time.

Check it out and see if they will be in TX soon and consider going. It is free and it may be super helpful to you.

2013-09-02 9:55 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by KathyG

Get that saddle sore healed up! Riding on it only makes it last longer. Have you seen a physician to see if it needs lancing, treatment, or abx?

Did you see the ST saddle tour? It is a program that sets up fit bike exactly to your bike and swaps out saddles so you can try many in a very short amount of time.

Check it out and see if they will be in TX soon and consider going. It is free and it may be super helpful to you.

Have not seen a doctor. Honestly wasn't sure what kind of a doctor to go to GYN, dermatologist, GP?
I had an appointment this past Thursday with the ST saddle tour and it went well, got to try several saddles.
Unfortunately it looks like what I have is best but I am getting re-fit.
I have been doing sitz baths, which hazel & neosporin cream. Also use Aquafor for any riding.
Plan right now is other than the fit no bike training until Thursday. Hoping for 90 next Sunday.
I ordered a new pair of 400 mile DeSoto shorts but they are too small and I have to exchange.
Wore my Oomph shorts yesterday and for most of my long rides.
2013-09-02 10:29 AM

User image

I agree.  Cure the saddle sore first and foremost ASAP.  If it doesn't clear up by Redman, don't do it as it will only put IMAZ in jeopardy.  This is not a matter of learning how to push through a saddle sore.  Pro cyclists drop out of grand tours because of them.  I've heard they rather push through a broken collar bone than saddle sores.

2013-09-02 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-09-02 10:46 AM
2013-09-02 11:22 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by KeriKadi
Originally posted by EKHIf it was me and I was using it as a training day I would change into your most comfortable biking shorts and lather up with chamois cream in T1. I would bring a extra tube of cream with me on the ride and at half way point get off bike and add some cream to trouble areas. I would get off bike and give your rear a rest when ever you need to. Don't worry about time just finish. Also Redman has some really rough roads make sure and get your butt out of the saddle everytime your about to hit a big bump. Good luck at Redman! It is a great race I will be doing the 70.3.
Thanks so much for this post and the previous one as well.Redman is going to be mental. I feel just completing the distances will be instrumental for IMAZ. I swam 2.5 Saturday in open water non stop. That along with a hilly 47 on Friday I am sure contributed to yesterday being so tough.In all fairness I have not biked as much as I intended. I have been consistent throughout most of my training other than the week we actually moved into the new house in June where I had 0 miles.I did go through and add them up and I recommend this to anybody training for long distance because, well, the logs don't lie. My weekly miles riding in decending dates starting with this past week.58.5, 113, 96, 29, 64, 120.5, 59, 64.5, 86, 89, 79, 0, 39My week starts on Sunday so yesterday's 72 goes towards this coming week.Not horrible IMO but not stellar either. The saddle sore has kept me off the bike. Unfortunately, it is a real issue
. I probably don't have the same severity of saddle sore as you, but I have done the warm water soak with Epsom salt, keeping the area clean and dry, and stayed off the bike for a week or so. Your bike fitness doesn't appear to be that bad, so with the run and swim keeping you conditioned will be okay. Let the saddle sore heal.

2013-09-02 11:39 AM

Champion
MA
Originally posted by KeriKadi

Have not seen a doctor. Honestly wasn't sure what kind of a doctor to go to GYN, dermatologist, GP? I had an appointment this past Thursday with the ST saddle tour and it went well, got to try several saddles. Unfortunately it looks like what I have is best but I am getting re-fit. I have been doing sitz baths, which hazel & neosporin cream. Also use Aquafor for any riding. Plan right now is other than the fit no bike training until Thursday. Hoping for 90 next Sunday. I ordered a new pair of 400 mile DeSoto shorts but they are too small and I have to exchange. Wore my Oomph shorts yesterday and for most of my long rides.

Call your GP and ask if he/she is the right one to see if not, who you should see. Please go you have had this issue for awhile now.

I recently got some DeSoto 400 mile bibs that I love despite them being men's with different pad.

I hope things improve soon. Stop riding your bike until it is better.

2013-09-02 12:17 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Payson, AZ
Originally posted by Jason N

I agree.  Cure the saddle sore first and foremost ASAP.  If it doesn't clear up by Redman, don't do it as it will only put IMAZ in jeopardy.  This is not a matter of learning how to push through a saddle sore.  Pro cyclists drop out of grand tours because of them.  I've heard they rather push through a broken collar bone than saddle sores.

This.  I know your A race is IMAZ.  Don't let a training ride put that at risk.  I know you want the mental training too but not worth the risk in this case.

2013-09-02 1:14 PM

Master

Keri,

Remember that trying to complete a "B" race for mental reasons when you aren't healthy (saddle sores) or prepared can also really shake your confidence. If you have a bad race a Redman then how are you going to deal with that? Will it make you second guess your training going into your IM?

It would be better to get this saddle sore taken care of first. Then start to get in consistent riding. Do you have a trainer? If not then I would highly recommend getting one ASAP. I do 99% of all of my bike training on the trainer.  That includes all of my long IM rides.The trainer is always ready and waiting. No excuses. It doesn't care if it is raining, dark outside or the time of day.

X2 on getting new bike shorts. I can't and won't ride in traditional bike shorts. They have too much padding and seem to cause more problems than a thin chamois. Tri shorts work the best. I would also recommend getting a bikini wax as soon as the saddle sore is better. That will help cut down on ingrown hair problems and saddle sores. Also try wearing really loose boxer shorts or skirts (no undies) around the house to air out that saddle sore.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-09-02 1:19 PM
2013-09-02 1:53 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

Pro
Houston
The good news is I am doing some of these things already ie warm baths, loose cotton boxer shorts.

We have some duo derm left over from my husbands road rash so I put some of that on. Not sure if it will help but it allows me to wear shorts and function. I could barely walk after my ride yesterday.

Getting rid of all my bike shorts is not an option.
I would only have one pair of shorts for the rest of my training and that will not work. I just spent $140 on a pair of DeSoto's.
I know a lot of folks say tri shorts are better and I sure wish they were for me because I work in a tri store and can get good ones at a great price.
Unfortunately tri shorts only mean I am in pain from 10 miles on rather than 30 miles on.

Before reading these posts I planned to try for 90 Sunday but that probably isn't the best idea.

How will a trainer help? That confuses me. I have a Compu Trainer but not sure how that helps as I am not supposed to be riding.
Getting out for rides is not the problem. I will ride the trainer when I have to but feel riding outside with wind/heat/elevation is better. Not to mention the trainer is more painful than riding outside.

Other than a midwife I probably have not been to a doctor in 12 years or so. Not sure my GP is still in practice but I will find out.

2013-09-02 2:36 PM

Champion
MA

I would stay off trainer now as well. You will be in one position and less moving around than riding outside. No riding until healed.

Do you belong to tri team? Get reference to a doc. Or call your midwife for reference. Ask BT in your area who they would recommend.

Sooner you get it treated sooner you will be riding.

Wear your new DeSoto and you can wash and wear them each ride.

Swimoutlet.com had DeSoto 400 bibs in the $120s from normal of 170.

We are all pulling for you to heal up and get back training for IMAZ.

2013-09-02 3:04 PM

Master

Trainer as a way to get your weekly riding mileage up. It will not help with the saddle sore.

You may have mentioned this but have you checked your bike fit?

Edited by Catwoman 2013-09-02 3:07 PM
2013-09-02 3:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-02 3:26 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
MA
Originally posted by Fred D

No riding until healed.

. Yep.
Wear your new DeSoto and you can wash and wear them each ride.

Swimoutlet.com had DeSoto 400 bibs in the $120s from normal of 170

. Good advice. I would repeat that one of the keys is to purge the bike shorts as saddle sores often involve bacterial infections that can continually re-infect from old shorts. If you 'can't get rid of the shorts, then use the newest ones and wash after each and every ride. I had to purge all my bibs a few years ago and it was costly....but not as costly as not doing an IM I had signed up for. Saddle sores are a topic that people need to know more about.... People are often embarrassed to get advice and then get the wrong advice. OP may well need antibiotics, lancing of the sore etc. the advice I'm giving is truly generic, but I researched this topic in detail in the past. Tough problem!

Fred,

What type of physician would you recommend someone see about saddle sores?

If you don't have a regular doctor how would you go about finding a physician to help? Urgent care? Reference?

2013-09-02 3:31 PM

Champion
MA

Did you read this?

I know you have worked on your fit many times.

2013-09-02 10:00 PM

Pro
Houston

Did you read this?

I know you have worked on your fit many times.

Just read through.

I have a fit appointment tomorrow, made that last Thursday after the ST saddle tour.
I am a fitter so it is pretty lame I can't get comfortable on a bike myself.
I was fit at Retul in Boulder last October but my riding time has changed for sure so it's time for a new fit.

Why get rid of shorts though? I mean bacteria cannot live forever especially if I wash them in hot water.
For the record I always use chamois cream - switched from Butt Butt'r to Aquaphor and always wear clean shorts.
Most of my shorts are newer.

Not sure if the Duo Derm is working but it has been on all day and I am very comfortable, nothing is rubbing.
For future reference if you do have a tender spot and have to ride I recommend it for a barrier.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strategy for 112? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Advice for my first 112 mile bike race

Started by diane.b
Views: 2283 Posts: 9

2013-01-06 10:50 AM diane.b

Next time you complain about riding 112 miles (olympic story inside)

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2150 Posts: 16

2012-07-26 11:32 PM ayabrea

Felt B16 or Argon E-112

Started by uncrxchap
Views: 1595 Posts: 4

2010-08-02 6:21 AM robgoodwin

Vacationing in VA Beach need 112 mile bike route please

Started by chevy57
Views: 997 Posts: 5

2010-07-20 11:42 AM wbayek

How to improve bike speed for 112? Pages: 1 2

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3248 Posts: 30

2010-02-19 8:45 AM MKAH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : July 9, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on Full Ironman nutrition strategies.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : January 1, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
Injury prevention strategies that all new triathletes should be familiar with prior to embarking on a training regimen.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 5
The 112/4 Race Rehearsal Brick. If done correctly, the RR is usually no more stressful than a regular training ride, and that is probably the point.

date : April 3, 2005
author : dara
Planing a successful nutrition strategy of fueling for your first Ironman triathlon.