General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-Sumpter Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-03 11:02 AM

Subject: Tri-Sumpter Race
Has anyone done this race in the past or know how it is?

Looks kind of small, but looking for a local (to Columbia) tri later in the season.

Thanks,

Mike

2013-09-06 10:26 AM
in reply to: mfrassica

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Subject: RE: Tri-Sumpter Race
Originally posted by mfrassica

Looks kind of small, but looking for a local (to Columbia) tri later in the season.

Thanks,

Mike

It's about as low key as you can get for a race. Did it last year on a complete whim b/c some buddies were doing it as their first tri.

Check in was simple but finding parking wasn't. All transition spaces are first come/first serve. Swag was LS tech tee and not much else.

The pool swim is like all such races. The water was refreshingly warm compared to last year's start temp of 47 degrees. The swim start is self-seeded so some folks who couldn't swim forced their way to the front (of course). After the swim you run into the gravel/chip seal parking lot that is T1/2.

Once on the road the course is reasonably well marked and, for the most part, traffic is controlled at intersections. I did see an instance where some guy blew off the cops and almost clipped a cyclist. To their credit, the police immediately went and tracked that guy down. Bike is flat and longer than posted. I think I had closer to 17 vs. the posted 15. I don't recall if their was aid on bike or not but can't imagine anyone would need it.

Run is not the the posted distance either. I think I had 2.5 vs. the listed 3. It's flat and is a loop course that goes across the big highway part of the bike course is on. So you'll be on your own as to dodging cars and then crossing traffic to head back to the finish. There is one aid station on the run.

I had fun but wouldn't go too far out of my way to do it. All kinds of folks there: obvious newbies all the way to the Citadel Tri team and some seriously blinged-out racers.

2013-09-09 8:51 AM
in reply to: CarolinaLaw

Thanks for the great review. Gave me a good feel for the race. I am in Columbia area, so may do this for end of season fun race. I'll try to get some other friends to come along too. Sounds like the race really caters to the fast biker.

Originally posted by CarolinaLaw

Thanks,

Mike

It's about as low key as you can get for a race. Did it last year on a complete whim b/c some buddies were doing it as their first tri.

Check in was simple but finding parking wasn't. All transition spaces are first come/first serve. Swag was LS tech tee and not much else.

The pool swim is like all such races. The water was refreshingly warm compared to last year's start temp of 47 degrees. The swim start is self-seeded so some folks who couldn't swim forced their way to the front (of course). After the swim you run into the gravel/chip seal parking lot that is T1/2.

Once on the road the course is reasonably well marked and, for the most part, traffic is controlled at intersections. I did see an instance where some guy blew off the cops and almost clipped a cyclist. To their credit, the police immediately went and tracked that guy down. Bike is flat and longer than posted. I think I had closer to 17 vs. the posted 15. I don't recall if their was aid on bike or not but can't imagine anyone would need it.

Run is not the the posted distance either. I think I had 2.5 vs. the listed 3. It's flat and is a loop course that goes across the big highway part of the bike course is on. So you'll be on your own as to dodging cars and then crossing traffic to head back to the finish. There is one aid station on the run.

I had fun but wouldn't go too far out of my way to do it. All kinds of folks there: obvious newbies all the way to the Citadel Tri team and some seriously blinged-out racers.

2013-09-10 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
You're correct, it definitely favors those who can hammer. I did this race last year on a whim with some buddies who were doing it as their first tri. I ended up winning my AG which shows that the speed demons weren't out (only 9 in the M35-39 group). AG award was a cheap medal so if you're looking to add some impressive hardware to your collection this ain't the place. Same folks are doing the race again and are trying to get me to go but I'm ramping up for IMAZ so probably shouldn't waste my time on this shorter event. But I can see it being a good season wrap-up race for you. Good luck.

Thanks for the great review. Gave me a good feel for the race. I am in Columbia area, so may do this for end of season fun race. I'll try to get some other friends to come along too. Sounds like the race really caters to the fast biker.

Originally posted by CarolinaLaw

Thanks,

Mike

2013-10-13 1:04 PM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Is the pool a 25m or 50m pool? I signed up for the race but haven't swam in a month.
2013-10-13 1:30 PM
in reply to: navybeaver

New user

I believe 25yds and the end has a walk out instead of a ladder climb. Makes it a tad nicer getting to T1.

2013-10-13 2:03 PM
in reply to: sd19surf

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
That sounds great.
2013-10-13 8:56 PM
in reply to: navybeaver

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
anyone else have any insights or thoughts on the race? I read a couple reviews that make the bike and run courses sound poorly marked.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-Sumpter Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Go Tri Sports Hilton Head Island sprin tri

Started by Tripopo
Views: 1906 Posts: 5

2011-05-14 7:54 PM hicelee

2009 Set-up, Inc Races

Started by Ron
Views: 1109 Posts: 1

2008-12-02 8:45 AM Ron

Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2

Started by michael2_19030
Views: 2246 Posts: 10

2008-06-06 12:54 PM pfusc

Any Myrtle Beach races over Memorial Day weekend?

Started by prof40
Views: 1093 Posts: 3

2008-05-01 9:51 PM prof40

2007 SC triathlon series, who's racing? Pages: 1 2

Started by gair70.3
Views: 3078 Posts: 29

2008-01-21 10:02 AM AUSQuest
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 1
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
date : August 7, 2007
author : newinboston
comments : 6
Some would say there are easier ways to get in shape, and they are probably right. My first worry was being able to squeeze into a wetsuit by race day.

date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.
date : March 6, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 9
Because for everyone out there, crossing the finish line is more about life than the race itself.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!