Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gimmie your "best" first world problems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2013-11-02 4:15 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Gimmie your "best" first world problems

Horrible day. I was out biking and the battery on my Power Tap died so I had no data for most of the ride. Now I have to use the one on the carbon wheels until I get it replaced.

2013-11-04 6:10 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No idea what world these problems belong to, and one isn't even a problem, but thought I would share them.

1. At the store where I've finally been able to get unsweetened Greek yogurt, they no longer have the brand that's $10.00 for a one-kilo tub (about $5 a pound). Instead, the only available brand is the equivalent of $8.50 for a half-kilo tub. Plus it's low-fat. So I'm supposed to pay $3.50 a pound more for fewer calories? (Yes, I know my view on calories is different from most. I'm a skinny, time-crunched triathlete who trains hard, commutes by foot and bike, works an active job, and lives in a land where the staple foods are rice noodles and watery vegetables. I value my food in terms of max calories per minute of consumption.)

2. (Related to above.) My new kitten is addicted to Greek yogurt. I think she was weaned too early (part of a litter of nine, so I'm sure she never got her fill at Mom's milk bar) and the yogurt fills some physical or mental need for milky stuff. She spends hours a day in front of the fridge, whining. She's lucky she's even scrawnier than I am or she might find herself on the menu.

3. Not a problem since it's not a food that I or my critters want/need, but just amazing. The same store was selling an 8-oz. package of dried blueberries for the equivalent of $30 USD! Wow, just wow.

2014-02-18 12:44 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
I'm normally pretty good about recognizing my first world problems and try to not let them bother me. Except this one is tri related and it made me roll my eyes.

My usual pool is getting the tiles and chlorination system replaced and will be closed for 2 months. So, I bought a YMCA membership so I could swim there. Arrive this morning with swim gear in tow to find out the pool is closed because of chlorination problems!

Sigh.
2014-02-18 5:55 PM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Suddenly, in the last few weeks, no granola bars of the kind that I always eat before longer morning workouts are available, in any store in the city. Have they been banned? There's one other brand, but they're too sweet and I can't stand them. Haven't been able to find anything else that will sit well before an early morning run unless I get up an hour earlier to eat than I already do. May have to start doing "fasted training".
2014-02-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
I got my notice that my car is due for air inspection by the end of May. Rather than spend the 15 minutes this takes, I am contemplating just buying a new car.
2014-02-20 6:00 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Problem solved for now--the local market has the granola bars back, with a bigger selection of flavors than before. Very glad since the other brand was way too sweet and had an upset stomach on ever AM run for the past few weeks. Now what product will they mysteriously discontinue next--last year it was oatmeal, and a few months ago we had a cat litter crisis.

2014-02-20 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Riot was getting whipped in Sochi or some area of that part of the world.

My left wrist is still sore, but I'm starting up a new streak of Pushups (10 pu per day)
2014-02-26 3:38 PM
in reply to: BellinghamSpence

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Good one from today.....We have an onsite, free fitness club at work (no pool though, 1st problem). Today, the satellite TV was out during my lunchtime treadmill run and I did not have my tablet to stream anything.
2014-02-26 7:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I remember the farthest you could roam with a phone was dependent on the length of spiral cord you bought.  And to look up an address of a store?  Needed your yellow pages.

Over the weekend?  I was so mad I wanted to smash my smartphone because I couldn't get internet google maps to load fast enough while driving down the highway at 70mph (passenger, not driver).

Edited by Kido 2014-02-26 7:21 PM
2014-02-26 11:54 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by cartman1966 Good one from today.....We have an onsite, free fitness club at work (no pool though, 1st problem). Today, the satellite TV was out during my lunchtime treadmill run and I did not have my tablet to stream anything.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.  And they say people don't chose to be poor.   Good gravy, man... pick yourself up by the bootstraps and get out of there!  You have choices.

2014-02-27 6:24 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure this is a first world problem (probably a world-wide problem), but it's definitely a problem. I think in the past 24 hours my little baby kitten has, at 6 1/2 months, become a teenager and gone into heat. She's never been a quiet one, and I've jokingly compared her "hungry" meows to a car alarm, but now I'm not joking! We have a vet appt. for next weekend for shots and to discuss spaying, but if she keeps this up one of us is going to have to move out!

2014-03-17 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Mid-February we custom ordered a sofa. Finally got it 2 months later. And they made it wrong. Yep. Now we have to figure out how we get it made correctly and if they can give us a loaner sofa while the other one is being fixed. 

Totally a first world problem. 

2014-03-17 4:15 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I thought I was buying the Easter Mini Robin Eggs that were malted milk balls, but instead I bought the ones that were solid chocolate!!!

2014-03-17 4:18 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by jford2309

I thought I was buying the Easter Mini Robin Eggs that were malted milk balls, but instead I bought the ones that were solid chocolate!!!

That's a complete screw up! Ha! No seriously, it's totally different candy and would be a huge disappointment. 

2014-03-18 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm going to Singapore, mainly because I miscalculated my rationing and am running out of Nuun tablets.
2014-03-18 7:59 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by Kido

I remember the farthest you could roam with a phone was dependent on the length of spiral cord you bought.  And to look up an address of a store?  Needed your yellow pages.

Over the weekend?  I was so mad I wanted to smash my smartphone because I couldn't get internet google maps to load fast enough while driving down the highway at 70mph (passenger, not driver).

I recall one trip I made to Maryland to see my sister, I told her there was no need for her to give me directions to anything.... I had my smartphone with Google maps! Um yeah, that didn't work. The ENTIRE TRIP Google maps kept locating me to some other state that I had never even been to. So I had to call and get directions the entire time. 

2014-03-18 9:04 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I could say with almost 99% certainty that everyone reading this and everyone I know has been in a hotel. That comes with maid service and we expect it. My wife took the kids to Europe for Spring break this year. Her cousin lives in a small town in the Czech Rep. and she went to see her. My wife offered to put up the cousin and family for two nights in Prague. They would then all go sight seeing with the cousin's hubby, a truck driver familiar with Prague, serving as a guide/translator. Next morning my wife goes to their room to get them and go to breakfast. Noticing the room was spotless and the beds all made, she asked what time did the maid come in. Her cousin's entire family had never been in a hotel before, so they cleaned the room and made the beds!
2014-03-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by mdg2003 I could say with almost 99% certainty that everyone reading this and everyone I know has been in a hotel. That comes with maid service and we expect it. My wife took the kids to Europe for Spring break this year. Her cousin lives in a small town in the Czech Rep. and she went to see her. My wife offered to put up the cousin and family for two nights in Prague. They would then all go sight seeing with the cousin's hubby, a truck driver familiar with Prague, serving as a guide/translator. Next morning my wife goes to their room to get them and go to breakfast. Noticing the room was spotless and the beds all made, she asked what time did the maid come in. Her cousin's entire family had never been in a hotel before, so they cleaned the room and made the beds!

WHAT? Ha! How sweet though! 

2014-03-18 10:38 AM
in reply to: switch

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
Got a new job with a HUGE Raise and sign on bonus .... now I can't possibly spend it all and there is still so much after I pay all my bills it's becoming an inconvenience just to count what is left over each month ....
2014-03-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: SWFLFATGUY

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by SWFLFATGUY

Got a new job with a HUGE Raise and sign on bonus .... now I can't possibly spend it all and there is still so much after I pay all my bills it's becoming an inconvenience just to count what is left over each month ....

You never heard of strippers and blow?
2014-03-18 10:54 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by KSH

Originally posted by mdg2003 I could say with almost 99% certainty that everyone reading this and everyone I know has been in a hotel. That comes with maid service and we expect it. My wife took the kids to Europe for Spring break this year. Her cousin lives in a small town in the Czech Rep. and she went to see her. My wife offered to put up the cousin and family for two nights in Prague. They would then all go sight seeing with the cousin's hubby, a truck driver familiar with Prague, serving as a guide/translator. Next morning my wife goes to their room to get them and go to breakfast. Noticing the room was spotless and the beds all made, she asked what time did the maid come in. Her cousin's entire family had never been in a hotel before, so they cleaned the room and made the beds!

Yeah, got a kick out of it when she told me. Two nights at the Hilton would've cost her an entire months wages. Puts a lot of trivial BS I worry about into perspective. Felt good to provide them a vacation of sorts in return for guide service. Win-Win for everyone.

They also visited my FIL's sister while over there. Her kitchen faucet was just running, apparently water is included the rent, but repairs aren't. My wife gave her some money saying it was a gift from brother for her upcoming birthday. She was so happy she could finally get her faucet fixed that she cried.

2014-03-18 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by SWFLFATGUY Got a new job with a HUGE Raise and sign on bonus .... now I can't possibly spend it all and there is still so much after I pay all my bills it's becoming an inconvenience just to count what is left over each month ....

so awesome

2014-03-18 11:05 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by KSH

Yeah, got a kick out of it when she told me. Two nights at the Hilton would've cost her an entire months wages. Puts a lot of trivial BS I worry about into perspective. Felt good to provide them a vacation of sorts in return for guide service. Win-Win for everyone. They also visited my FIL's sister while over there. Her kitchen faucet was just running, apparently water is included the rent, but repairs aren't. My wife gave her some money saying it was a gift from brother for her upcoming birthday. She was so happy she could finally get her faucet fixed that she cried.

Wow.  Good stories. You should double post this in the "perspective" thread :)

2014-03-18 12:12 PM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL

Sure .... have them on my new 81 Viking Sportfish all the time ..... still can't run out of money .....
2014-03-18 10:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sure .... have them on my new 81 Viking Sportfish all the time ..... still can't run out of money .....

Can I send you my acct number.... I am not a stripper, but I could probably swing it once if the price was right

... support your single moms, one dollar at a time!

Edited by Dolcezza 2014-03-18 10:50 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gimmie your "best" first world problems Rss Feed  

of 14

RELATED POSTS

real world problems

Started by LJR
Views: 920 Posts: 1

2008-09-26 1:32 PM LJR

Disney World tickets, best place to buy

Started by JoeR
Views: 1073 Posts: 7

2008-03-10 4:18 PM JoeR

World's first eyeball tattoo

Started by krludwig
Views: 1552 Posts: 16

2008-03-04 4:18 PM ranger5oh

Best place in the World??? Pages: 1 2

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 2489 Posts: 26

2007-08-28 10:31 AM nighthawk

the good people in the world...

Started by autumn
Views: 1589 Posts: 15

2005-05-18 4:38 PM Tania
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?
date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!

date : January 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My symptoms have been present off and on for almost two years. Is this a surgical problem, or should I just keep managing it for as long as I can?
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems