General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri Newbie!! A Few Questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-03 1:08 PM

Subject: Sprint Tri Newbie!! A Few Questions...
I was at my son's football practice one night and ran a few miles then drug my bike out and biked about 4 miles. When I got back someone asked me if I was training for a triathlon. I was like, "NO!!" Fast forward to 3 weeks later and I have talked myself into doing the Anchor Splash Triathlon on the campus of the University of Tennessee.

It is a reverse sprint tri so I am at a loss as to my transitions for one thing. And also the timing issue. We start out with a 5k run, then a 6 mile ride, then 300 yrds in the pool.

* Do I run with my swimsuit on? It is a 1 piece and I really HATE having my skin all covered while I run (and bike).

* Do I need a bucket for changing or do you think there will be facilities so we can change from road wear to swim wear?

* Respectable time? I want to finish in under an hour and 1/2. An hour would be AWESOME, but I know I can do a hour and 1/2.

I am sure I have more questions, but I am in class right now (teacher) and I can't think. My brain is already fried!

2013-09-03 1:17 PM
in reply to: utkgrad101

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: RE: Sprint Tri Newbie!! A Few Questions...
I'd love to do a reverse tri. A reverse Oly would be awesome. Especially with an OWS....would thin out the entrants in most races and make things less crowded.

Anywhos, wear something you can do all three legs in especially if you care about your time. Some of your competitors could be knocking out their entire swim while you stop to change clothes.

2013-09-03 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by utkgrad101

I was at my son's football practice one night and ran a few miles then drug my bike out and biked about 4 miles. When I got back someone asked me if I was training for a triathlon. I was like, "NO!!" Fast forward to 3 weeks later and I have talked myself into doing the Anchor Splash Triathlon on the campus of the University of Tennessee.

It is a reverse sprint tri so I am at a loss as to my transitions for one thing. And also the timing issue. We start out with a 5k run, then a 6 mile ride, then 300 yrds in the pool.

* Do I run with my swimsuit on? It is a 1 piece and I really HATE having my skin all covered while I run (and bike).

* Do I need a bucket for changing or do you think there will be facilities so we can change from road wear to swim wear?

* Respectable time? I want to finish in under an hour and 1/2. An hour would be AWESOME, but I know I can do a hour and 1/2.

I am sure I have more questions, but I am in class right now (teacher) and I can't think. My brain is already fried!

I've never seen a short triathlon where you changed between splits. Some tris have porti-pottys in the transition zone but usually sprints don't.

What are your current 5k pace and 6 mile bike speeds? Even if they are very low, your goal is achievable. For instance, most new older runners start off in the 12 to 13 minute per mile range (even if they quickly improve with training), because that's basically one of the slowest jog speeds you can achieve without actually walking fast. At 12 min/mile, you're looking at a 36 minute 5k. Assuming you're using at least a hybrid bike, you should be able to get to 10 mph for 6 miles (maybe you even get to 12 or 14), that's another 36 minutes. That leaves you 18 minutes for a 300 meter swim plus transition times. You'll be tired for the swim. You should make sure you can at least swim that distance without stopping and if you can't crawl, then at least breast stroke. Assuming a slow breast stroke (3 min/100m) you have 9 minutes left for your transitions.
2013-09-03 1:24 PM

User image

you probably need to check the event rules, many of them say that you have to have a top/bottom for the races; others don't - I've seen all manners of dress at the ones I have raced in and volunteered at

personally, I would do (based on the one-piece comment and female assumption)...

sports bra with crop top for run bike and you could probably even go in the water that way...I wear a standard one piece normally with a sports bra underneath and it doesn't seem to give me much drag

I do like the idea of a reverse one...I did see a race somewhere (can't remember now) where it was a pyramid - swim, bike, run, bike swim...I really wanted to do it...must try to find for next year maybe
2013-09-03 1:27 PM
in reply to: faded_memories

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by faded_memories

I'd love to do a reverse tri. A reverse Oly would be awesome. Especially with an OWS....would thin out the entrants in most races and make things less crowded.

Anywhos, wear something you can do all three legs in especially if you care about your time. Some of your competitors could be knocking out their entire swim while you stop to change clothes.

Agree - a reverse Oly would play to my strengths. It would really play havoc on the swim experts.
2013-09-03 1:36 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

What I really need to do it sounds like is one Sat. morning do a mock sprint tri and see how I feel running in my swim suit.

Also I don't have bike shorts and quite frankly I don't want to purchase any as they can get expensive. I rode almost 9 miles this morning and was so stinking saddle sore! I had one of those really nice fat bike seats put on, but other then that what can I do to keep from being sooooooooooo sore in my nether region?

2013-09-03 3:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by utkgrad101

What I really need to do it sounds like is one Sat. morning do a mock sprint tri and see how I feel running in my swim suit.

Also I don't have bike shorts and quite frankly I don't want to purchase any as they can get expensive. I rode almost 9 miles this morning and was so stinking saddle sore! I had one of those really nice fat bike seats put on, but other then that what can I do to keep from being sooooooooooo sore in my nether region?

I find that nice fat bike seats are actually worse for riding, than my hard skinny one...but that is just me - it won't be so bad since you are doing the swim after the ride, but some ppl note that those seats actually absorb water and make them uncomfortable

other than that, it takes the nether regions time to adjust - or at least did for me
2013-09-03 5:26 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Plan to do all 3 parts in the same outfit. You might try running and riding in your swimsuit and make sure it doesn't chafe and provides enough support. There isn't usually a place to change in short races. If you are modest, you can always wear shorts and a t-shirt over your swimsuit. Assuming you are female (from the 1-piece comment) you could wear a sports-bra over your suit and take it off before the swim or under the suit and swim in it too.

I saw your later comment about being saddle sore. Saddle sores are caused by your skin sliding over something and creating a raw spot, and in the nether regions, resulting in an infection because that part of us rarely gets aired out. Cycling shorts are form fitting to avoid that chafing and slide against the seat instead. You shouldn't need cycling shorts for a short race if you have a decent riding position on your bike. When you pedal, how straight is your leg when your foot is on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke? If you can sit on your seat with your feet on the ground, the seat is way too low. You won't get any power when you pedal and all of your weight is transferred from your nethers to the seat. Your leg should be *almost* straight at the bottom and you can apply more force on the pedals. You'll go faster *AND* much more of your weight is transferred from your feet to the pedals and not so much into the seat. Your nethers will thank you! If you are still having problems, use some vasoline or noxema on your nether regions to cut down on the friction.

2013-09-04 11:10 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Originally posted by McFuzz

I saw your later comment about being saddle sore. Saddle sores are caused by your skin sliding over something and creating a raw spot, and in the nether regions, resulting in an infection because that part of us rarely gets aired out. Cycling shorts are form fitting to avoid that chafing and slide against the seat instead. You shouldn't need cycling shorts for a short race if you have a decent riding position on your bike. When you pedal, how straight is your leg when your foot is on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke? If you can sit on your seat with your feet on the ground, the seat is way too low. You won't get any power when you pedal and all of your weight is transferred from your nethers to the seat. Your leg should be *almost* straight at the bottom and you can apply more force on the pedals. You'll go faster *AND* much more of your weight is transferred from your feet to the pedals and not so much into the seat. Your nethers will thank you! If you are still having problems, use some vasoline or noxema on your nether regions to cut down on the friction.

AWESOME! I will check that next time I am on the bike. I am scheduled to rid Sat. I think. I had never though of that.
2013-09-04 11:39 AM

User image

You could try spandex shorts/leggings (something basic from walmart/target etc) with your swimsuit.
Where them under the suit, over the suit, with or without a sportsbra. Try different combinations and see what works. You don't need actual cycling shorts for something fairly short.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri Newbie!! A Few Questions... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Few questions about sprint tri

Started by sarah927
Views: 835 Posts: 8

2009-04-06 11:49 AM sarah927

A few questions from a Newbie

Started by bel83
Views: 907 Posts: 9

2008-09-26 8:16 AM bigsky17

A few questions from a NEWBIE

Started by ScotinSeattle
Views: 1380 Posts: 13

2007-04-25 3:20 PM brucemorgan

A few questions from a newbie :) Pages: 1 2

Started by cj12
Views: 1870 Posts: 46

2005-07-15 10:36 AM dibujob

Newbie - North Jersey - Few Questions

Started by pbenedict
Views: 893 Posts: 10

2004-10-26 5:21 PM Rockland
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.