Lake George, New York
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 20m 49s
Overall Rank = 8/79
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

I drove up Saturday afternoon and went right to packet pick up. In and out no prob, and got some nice swag (hoodie, tech socks) and dropped off my bike in transition
Event warmup:

Race morning was humid but not too warm, with lots of fog around the lake and mountains. Got transition set up, bodymarked, went for a quick warm up swim, and hung out until race start.
Swim
  • 30m 27s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was perfect wetsuit temp of 73, and the course was an out & back. I was in the 4th wave, which didn't thrill me since I'm a strong swimmer. Start was shallow water, no contact, got down to business quickly. I tried to grab the feet of the one woman who darted out to the lead, but she was too darn fast. So, I swam alone, and by the 2nd buoy was swimming through the previous waves. I stayed wide to avoid any clogs around the turn buoy, and cruised back to shore. Swim time was 30:30, and I think it was a little long. I was 2nd female, and 4th fastest overall swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. Pray for more faster feet so I can draft?
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Ran across the street to transition, got out of my wetsuit with no prob, grabbed my helmet and bike and ran out to ride

Learn a flying mount
Bike
  • 2h 55m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.15 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was gorgeous, and I really appreciated the beautiful scenery since it got kind of lonely out there at parts. After a couple miles through town, the bike kicks into gear with a 3-4 mile hill. As I went to shift into my small chain ring, CLANK, chain drops. I pull over, get it back on and get going again. After this initial hill, the rest of the lollipop shaped course was rolling, with no other major climbs. It was still overcast with occasional raindrops, but I really appreciated the cloud cover. There were volunteers and police at every intersection, yet I still managed to miss a turn. Luckily, the volunteers started screaming at me, so I only went 20 feet or so in the wrong direction before pulling a u-turn and getting back on course smiley: embarassed. I was passed by a few men in the first 20 miles, and passed quite a few. I wasn't passed by a woman until mile 30, and tried to keep her in my sights. Before I knew it, I was headed back into town, and that first big climb was a great downhill which allowed me to spin out my legs. I was passed by 2 more women in the last 10 miles, putting me in 5th overall headed into transition. Overall it was a solid bike. I tried really hard to stay within my target HR, even though I wanted to go harder at points, and this strategy paid off later. I drank 2 bottles of HEED and 1 of water, and had 2 GU's and a package of Honey Stinger chews (YUM) and felt great and ready to run

Not drop chain or miss turn. Maybe go a touch harder, as I was being cautious not to overbike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Helmet off, socks and shoes on, grab visor and belt and out.

Run sockless
Run
  • 1h 51m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not a runner. It's the weakest of my 3 sports, and I have always struggled with this piece of the puzzle. This year I've been working hard on improving my run and I hoped that I could see some results in this race. The run was mostly on a multi-use path, with a long out & back section and a small loop (the whole thing was done twice). The first 2 miles or so were uphill, with it being mostly flat to the turnaround at 3.5 miles, then pretty much downhill to the start of loop 2. I had 2 women come out of transition right behind me and they quickly got ahead of me, but I was determined to hang with them as long as possible. One ran off after a mile or so, but I hung on the shoulder of the other until mile 4. I could hear her labored breathing, and I felt great, so I decided to pass. I never pass people on the run, so this was a momentous occasion for me! There were plenty of aid stations (every mile or so) with water, gatorade, gels, and my favorites, flat Coke and cold sponges. I HEART cold sponges. I was passed by a couple of women towards the end of loop 1, but they were hauling, and I felt great, so I just kept going and running my race. I caught the first woman that passed me on the bike at the turnaround on loop two, and was super excited to fly down the last 3 miles or so of mostly downhill to the finish. 2 more woman came by me in the last 2 miles, but I hung on and ran as hard as I could to the finish. My run ended up being 1:51:53, besting my previous HIM run PR(set on a pancake flat course) by almost 9 minutes, and negative split this run. Boom. Happy, happy, happy.

Nothing. this was the run of my life.
Post race
Warm down:

Post race they had plenty of food and beer, and I indulged while I waited for awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, really. It was a good day and a 4 minute HIM pr on a tougher course.

Event comments:

Excellent organization, lots of volunteers, and flat coke and cold sponges on the run!

Last updated: 2013-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:27 | 2112 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 2/79
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Frequency Full
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:55:26 | 56 miles | 19.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 14/79
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Lollipop shape, with one long climb shortly after T1. Rolling after that, with descent back to T2.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:51:53 | 13.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 14/79
Performance: Good
Course: Lollipop again, with most being an out and back section. First 2 miles of each loop uphill, then down on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-03 2:04 PM

Subject: Big George Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big George Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big George Triathlon

Started by Seren
Views: 2146 Posts: 1

2012-09-07 4:15 PM Seren

Big George Triathlon

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 1641 Posts: 2

2011-09-20 12:29 PM doctorbob18

Big George Triathlon

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 1769 Posts: 3

2011-09-10 10:57 PM peto_primo

Big George Triathlon

Started by cornick
Views: 1491 Posts: 2

2011-09-06 8:19 PM TimX3

Big George Triathlon

Started by triguy1043
Views: 1604 Posts: 3

2012-03-13 2:36 PM cornick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.

date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.
date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?