General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think of relocating Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-04 10:44 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Subject: Think of relocating
Im thinking of relocating to NC and am considering the raleigh or Charlotte area. Pros Cons of each??? Thanks for any input

2013-09-04 12:42 PM
in reply to: Jungle Jenn

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Think of relocating
Charlotte PRO: Its not Raleigh
Raleigh PRO: It's not New Jersey

2013-09-04 2:04 PM
in reply to: bgraboski

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
I knew better to ask this on BT but thought Id give it a shot
2013-09-04 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Everyone will be biased to where they live!

I live in CLT and love it here. Lots of local races, triathletes, two big lakes and lots and lots of country roads once you get a few miles outside of the city. Pools can be hit or miss depending on where you live. I have an uncrowded Y pool 2 miles from my work and 3 miles from my house.

I am sure the Raleigh people will all say the same thing (I am rarely out there so can't comment).

They are two totally different metropolitan areas. One is a college mecca with state capital and the other is a banking giant.
2013-09-04 2:45 PM
in reply to: bgraboski

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Thank you
2013-09-04 2:52 PM

Regular
NC is a very diverse state....mountains, coast, piedmont....all have small, medium and large towns/cities. What specificly are you looking for?

2013-09-04 3:25 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Im looking for something that is close to the mountains and close enough to the beach as well as a days drive back to my home town of southern ohio if an emergency would arise. Im single and looking for an active community. I would be also relocation my business to the hour which is a 24 hour fitness facility....currently I own my location so will be a change in having to lease and am sure my payments will be much higher. Where I live there is absolutely nothing and its slowly killing me. Im into Ultras I still do some tri's when I get the itch but not too many close enough Im that last minute ok i'll go do this half ironman type a gal anymore. Raleigh and Charlotte are both about a 5.5-7 hour drive from my hometown. I have an aunt and cousin in Wrightsville beach but that is a little farther from my hometown and there will be times that I will have to come back to take care of family business issues.
2013-09-04 7:15 PM

Regular
Take a look around the Lake Norman area, just north of Charlotte. Greensboro is also a nice area that has grown rapidly over the last 20 years. Any of the small towns around Raleigh are full of younger adults....more of a tech genre. Personally, I love Asheville/Hendersonville area but not sure about how your business would fit in.

2013-09-04 7:23 PM

User image

you can't go wrong with either location. i'm a transplant from nj (ha, ha) and live in chapel hill. love charlotte and raleigh equally. visit and spend time that's how i made my decision.

2013-09-04 8:15 PM

I've lived in both CLT and RDU. Both are nice places with a very active tri scene and lots of races to choose from. CLT is a small city. Raleigh is a big town. I prefer the Raleigh area primarily because it's a little smaller and the traffic is much more manageable. CLT grew too quickly and I find the traffic and related construction to be challenging. I travel often and I also like Raleigh for the modern, easy access airport.

In the Raleigh area, you can open water swim in Jordan or Falls Lake. There are all kinds of riding and running options. The American Tobacco Trail is an ideal place for long runs, especially in winter.
2013-09-04 8:45 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by riltri

Take a look around the Lake Norman area, just north of Charlotte. Greensboro is also a nice area that has grown rapidly over the last 20 years. Any of the small towns around Raleigh are full of younger adults....more of a tech genre. Personally, I love Asheville/Hendersonville area but not sure about how your business would fit in.

I have another cousin in the Greensboro area but its quite away from the beach.... Im not sure I would be considered a "younger adult" anymore

2013-09-04 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4846503

User image

Extreme Veteran
I live in Asheville, have lived in Raleigh, Winston Salem, and Boone. I love Asheville. If I had to move, I'd pick Charlotte.

It is more of a real city, with distinct neighborhoods and distinct feel. To me, Raleigh is a giant suburb,characterized by big box stores and 1990s era subdivisions.

Just my semi educated perspective. Good luck with your move!!
2013-09-04 8:47 PM
in reply to: markymapo

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by markymapo

you can't go wrong with either location. i'm a transplant from nj (ha, ha) and live in chapel hill. love charlotte and raleigh equally. visit and spend time that's how i made my decision.

Once my home here sells I plan to travel to both areas as well as Greensboro where another cousin is and spend some weekends....no rash quick decisions...have been waiting almost 46 years and its finally time so wanna do the right thing and I will know....any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated...i do know I want to go to NC and know I need to be with 7 hours of Southern Ohio drive and would idealy like to be less then 3 hours to the beach and very close to some good biking and running
2013-09-04 8:49 PM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by Shop Cat

I live in Asheville, have lived in Raleigh, Winston Salem, and Boone. I love Asheville. If I had to move, I'd pick Charlotte.

It is more of a real city, with distinct neighborhoods and distinct feel. To me, Raleigh is a giant suburb,characterized by big box stores and 1990s era subdivisions.

Just my semi educated perspective. Good luck with your move!!

I spoke to my sis in law best friend who moved her husband and family last year to Charlotte, they considered Raleigh and she kinda said what you said Shop Cat. She invited me to stay a weekend when things start to move and its closer in my future to get there
2013-09-05 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
"Where ever you go, there you are"
Jenn, I'm from Raleigh and moved to Wendell when it got too big (I'm a country boy at heart). I think you'd be happy at either location. Economically, Raleigh may have an edge over Charlotte (Forbes fastest growing cities) but Charlotte ain't no slouch. Both have tons of options for outdoor recreation just outside your door if you live outside the city. Raleigh's a bit closer to Wrightsville Bch. Basically they're pretty equal. Maybe your choice should be based on business opportunities. IMHO. Either town'd do well to have a BAMF like yourself grace her presence.
2013-09-05 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
I lived in Raleigh and now live 4min from Wrightsville Beach.

So if you go to Raleigh you are 2hrs from the beach but around 4hrs from the mountains. If you go Charlotte, you are 4hrs from the beach but just about 2 from the mountains.

I will say I have not spent any significant time in Charlotte but my feeling about it is totally opposite to the posters above. I might be wrong b/c I have not lived there but I feel it is all big box corporate America. It is a Metro Atlanta wannabee in my eyes. I would pick Raleigh (this coming from someone who really liked living in a big city - Atlanta. Granted it was midtown Atlanta and not metro Atlanta) in a heartbeat over Charlotte.

Raleigh has lots of swimming, running and biking options. Hell, you can even do the Umstead 100 right on your doorstep.

2013-09-05 8:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
Originally posted by qrkid

I will say I have not spent any significant time in Charlotte but my feeling about it is totally opposite to the posters above. I might be wrong b/c I have not lived there but I feel it is all big box corporate America. It is a Metro Atlanta wannabee in my eyes.

I think this opinion, essentially stated about both cities by different posters, depends on where you live in each. I've lived in both. I think both are great. I lived very close to downtown in old neighborhoods in each - if you do that, you don't get the big box/sprawl/suburb impression from either.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-09-05 9:04 AM
2013-09-05 9:04 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by Goosedog

I will say I have not spent any significant time in Charlotte but my feeling about it is totally opposite to the posters above. I might be wrong b/c I have not lived there but I feel it is all big box corporate America. It is a Metro Atlanta wannabee in my eyes.

I think this opinion, essentially stated about both cities by different posters, depends on where you live in each. I've lived in both. I think both are great. I have always lived very close to downtown in old neighborhoods in both - if you do that, you don't get the big box/sprawl/suburb impression from either.

agreed. I Lived in 5 points in Raleigh and thought it was great. Do I think that about Cary (essentially Raleigh) nope I sure don't.
2013-09-05 10:14 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

I lived in Raleigh and now live 4min from Wrightsville Beach.

So if you go to Raleigh you are 2hrs from the beach but around 4hrs from the mountains. If you go Charlotte, you are 4hrs from the beach but just about 2 from the mountains.

I will say I have not spent any significant time in Charlotte but my feeling about it is totally opposite to the posters above. I might be wrong b/c I have not lived there but I feel it is all big box corporate America. It is a Metro Atlanta wannabee in my eyes. I would pick Raleigh (this coming from someone who really liked living in a big city - Atlanta. Granted it was midtown Atlanta and not metro Atlanta) in a heartbeat over Charlotte.

Raleigh has lots of swimming, running and biking options. Hell, you can even do the Umstead 100 right on your doorstep.

Yes I did Umstead 100 in april thats and some of the locals I met drew me to the area
2013-09-05 10:21 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Originally posted by La Tortuga

"Where ever you go, there you are"
Jenn, I'm from Raleigh and moved to Wendell when it got too big (I'm a country boy at heart). I think you'd be happy at either location. Economically, Raleigh may have an edge over Charlotte (Forbes fastest growing cities) but Charlotte ain't no slouch. Both have tons of options for outdoor recreation just outside your door if you live outside the city. Raleigh's a bit closer to Wrightsville Bch. Basically they're pretty equal. Maybe your choice should be based on business opportunities. IMHO. Either town'd do well to have a BAMF like yourself grace her presence.

I would be moving my gym there....it's not a franchise it's my own 24 hour facility so will need to research which area would be best suitable for it and going from owning my own building to leasing I am sure the cost per square foot in those areas are going to be much higher then where I am coming from. My plans are to visit the areas and compare and Im loving all these ideas of what to look for...Im hoping when i get there to look I will feel like this is home?
2013-09-05 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
FYI - Charlotte is 3 hours from door to sand, not 4 (Isle of Palms, SC). Asheville (mountain city) is about 2:15 away. Both are easy drives. The drive to Isle of Palm is 99.9% interstate (200 miles). Isle of Palms also happens to be the best freaking beach around. Non-commerical (only one hotel and one golf resort) but has enough restaurants and shops to not get bored. It is also just 15 minutes from Charleston, which happens to be the coolest place to visit in the SE.

Ohio is just a short drive up 77 (apparently it is only a one way road because no one ever goes back)!

2013-09-06 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)
Jenn,

I just moved from Columbus, OH (I am pretty sure we have tri friends in common in Ohio) to Wilson, NC last November. I moved to Wilson due to engagement and his family is from the area. I am about 45 minutes east of Raleigh. My new job doesn't matter where I live. The move and new job was seamless so it made it easy to move.

NC Pros: I think it snowed one day last winter and it lasted for 30 minutes. The humidity is the toughest to get adjusted too, which has really effected my running. One of our tri team run coaches came from Ohio also, and he said it took about a year to adjust.

My con here in small town Wilson is there is ONE pool so tougher off season to get in the pool. Raleigh and Charlotte areas should not be an issue there.

I travel regularly for my job so I have seen the entire state and the majority of the Southeast in last eight months. So Charlotte and Raleigh are similar. Raleigh job market seems to be growing by leaps and bounds, so if you don't have a job yet might be an area to keep an eye on. If I were single and doing it all over again, I would look at Wilmington, NC (the Tri community there is HUGE!!!!) Well it's on the coast too, and growing. I love the town. Jacksonville, FL would probably be a close second. To me, Raleigh mirrors Columbus almost identical - college town, good job markets, lots of activity.

You are welcome to contact me if you have questions, I am familiar with Southern Ohio too so if you have more detail on what you would like to find let me know.

Kristin
2013-09-11 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Jenn:

I live in Raleigh, and have been here for 8 years. Charlotte has more races run by Set Up Events, and Raleigh has more by FSSeries. Both are great. Both have lakes, etc. One thing about NC is that they do not lay down much of a shoulder on the roads.

Raleigh has a number of gym franchises going. I growing local one is O2 fitness. There Golds Gyms, Lifetime fitness, planet fitness, YMCA's and Heat in downtown Raleigh. Thought that might help. I am sure the same is true of Charlotte. Because of the colleges the fitness population in Raleigh tends o be strong in the 20-30 age bracket.

Good luck!
2013-09-11 12:16 PM
in reply to: DougRob

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
I would be moving my fitness facility to the area less the youth room.... www.fitnessplus24.com will give all you that live there an idea of what i have and the size, not large but large enough and a different niche at least in our area.

Im not as much into Tri's as I use to be more into the Ultra Running scene....If i find a half ironman here or there close by I will sign up and do it. I do still bike a lot for cross training and am hoping to find a nice biker friendly community and maybe even venture into some off road mountain biking but not the crazy steep stuff

My aunt and 2 cousins do live in Wrightsville beach that makes it more of an entire days trip (about 8-9 hours no stops) back to southern ohio if Im needed back here to help my son or my folks. But its still a possibility. Once my house sells I plan to come down and visit some areas for a weekend here and there and have so many wonderful ideas and locations to look into....keep em coming. I am coming from an area without about 80% on welfare and very poor community so the cost of living here is very low, It will be a shock knowing the home Im selling and what I will get for the same price if I can even do that!

Biggest factors are I would like only a 6-7 hour drive back to portsmouth ohio for an emergency, I would prefer a smaller suburb outside of a city that has a very active community....I would be coming from a town of about 22000 and it is well..........hate to put down my town but it is a shithole and every day its killing me more and more. We are the top in the state for drug abuse...Scioto County is us...named the largest oxy capital just a couple years ago and they have finally started to get that out the town and closing the pill mills but now its herion

News earlier this year:
The 2013 County Health Rankings & Roadmaps, A Healthier Nation, County by County, ranks Scioto County as Ohio’s unhealthiest county.
The annual report, released by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, examines every county in the United States and ranks them on a state level based on health outcomes and factors.
Scioto County ranks 88th out of the 88 counties in Ohio for health outcomes and health factors.

2013-09-13 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Carolina Beach
I live in Carolina Beach which is on the south end of Wilmington. I have lived in Raleigh and it was a great town, but I'm not a big fan of the "city life". If you are considering the Wilmington area, be forewarned, there is a gym/fitness center on every corner here. I think the competition would be very tough because Wilmington is not a very big city but there are tons of gyms here.

If you can open a gym with an indoor pool and keep the pool clean... then you are on to something. The current options here are horrible!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think of relocating Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Anyone thinking about Riverwood?

Started by DMarkSwan
Views: 1421 Posts: 12

2013-04-29 9:09 AM HookedOnTri

Wanting to relocate to NC

Started by gti123
Views: 2192 Posts: 19

2012-02-13 7:49 PM TeacherAmy