United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 56m 23s
Overall Rank = 12/213
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, ate a pancake breakfast and got my things together to walk over to transition. I have to say, its always great staying close enough to not have to worry about driving on race morning. Chatted with Liam and Alex while setting up transition, talked a bit about expectations for the race. After losing to Liam at Crystal Lake two weeks ago, I was hoping to stay within range by T2.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for a short spin, then got my wetsuit on for a quick swim to make sure it was going to stay together.
Swim
  • 33m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

I tried to stay on the feet of Alex and Liam, but only lasted to the first buoy. After that I had trouble finding some consistent drafting, mostly just passing people from the waves in front of me. I actually felt like I raced the swim, something I struggle to do. Physically I don't think I could've gone much faster.
What would you do differently?:

Try to draft more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Really good T1 for me, got my suit off quickly and had a nice running jump onto the bike.

Not much
Bike
  • 2h 47m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I figured going into this that I would need low 2:40:00 to stay within realistic range of Liam and give myself a shot at breaking 5 hours. I stayed controlled on the hills and kept the pressure during flats and downhills. My VI was 1.02 so I definitely was consistent in my effort. I also did great with nutrition, sticking to my plan the whole time. Near the end I realized I was going to be over 2:45:00 and I started getting a little bummed, but I just told myself I would have to run extra hard.

Not much, I think if I went any harder here I would've risked my run
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Coming into T2 Leigh shouted out that Liam left T2 13 minutes ago, so I was about 14 behind him. Yikes! I was hoping for 10 minutes or less, I wasn't sure I could close a gap as large as 14 minutes. My T2 was great, 2nd fastest in the whole race.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 33m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

WOW. I knew my running training has been going really well, but I didn't expect this. Starting on the course I quickly calculated that I needed a 1:36:00 Half Marathon to break 5 hours, which was going to be tough. I laid down a hard pace and took advantage of my legs feeling good off the bike to power up the hill section. Once it flattened out I tried to keep the miles around 7:00 and waited until I saw Liam coming on the out and back. I made a mental note of the time and location when we high fived and exchanged encouragement, and hit that same spot less than 9 minutes later. If Leigh's statement was correct, I was closing the gap on him fast. I flew down the hills and back around to start my 2nd loop. Got a boost of encouragement from Leigh and some other friends spectating before heading back up the climb. The 2nd time going up was much harder than the first, but I refused to let my pace get above 7:30/mi and I knew it would be nothing but flats and downs if I could just get to the top. Nearing the turn around I saw Liam. I couldn't believe I was going to make the catch with over 3 miles still to go. I tapped him on the shoulder and tried to get him to stay with me so we could both go under 5. He was clearly spent and I was feeling strong so we weren't together for long. I had a dip in motivation when I realized I had no one else to chase, but I knew my body had been pushed to the limit and losing focus could easily cost me going sub-5. I finished strong and even had a little kick for the chute.

Nothing, AWESOME run for me
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, chatted with friends and waited for Liam to come in. I stretched a bit while gathering food and fluids. What a race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It wasn't a great year for swim training, but otherwise I think I killed this race. What a great way to end my 2013 Triathlon Season.

Event comments:

Love this race, will be back next year

Last updated: 2013-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:53 | 2112 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 23/213
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back rectangle with the buoys on the left
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:47:09 | 56 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 35/213
Wind:
Course: Lollipop shaped course, low grade climb out of town then mostly flat/mild rollers before coming back down.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:33:27 | 13.1 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 4/213
Course: Two loops, upside down lollipop shape. Mostly uphill for ~2 miles, then flat ~2.5, then back down ~2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-04 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: Big George Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big George Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big George Triathlon

Started by Seren
Views: 2144 Posts: 1

2012-09-07 4:15 PM Seren

Big George Triathlon

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 1641 Posts: 2

2011-09-20 12:29 PM doctorbob18

Big George Triathlon

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 1767 Posts: 3

2011-09-10 10:57 PM peto_primo

Big George Triathlon

Started by cornick
Views: 1489 Posts: 2

2011-09-06 8:19 PM TimX3

Big George Triathlon

Started by triguy1043
Views: 1602 Posts: 3

2012-03-13 2:36 PM cornick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.

date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.
date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?