General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Irritable Bowel / Low FODMAP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-04 10:48 PM

Subject: Irritable Bowel / Low FODMAP
I've had problems with digestion for the last 18 months and been to various doctors.

Finally have a diagnoses of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

I can't really eat any type of sports drink, sports bar or high sugar "sport" food. These are loaded with things that make my stomach very irritated and painful. I've been eating bananas, potatoes, ground corn/chia biscuits, gluten free bread with peanut butter or jam. I've just been getting my salt intake from the salted potatoes and drinking water.

However, I'm looking to get a bit more variation in my diet when training and racing.

I'm also looking to get carbohydrates into my water some how so I don't have to carry and eat so much solid food.

Anyone else have any ideas? Food or drink wise? Bear in mind I cannot take gatorade/powerade or coca cola from aid stations.

2013-09-05 10:49 AM
in reply to: Flying Kiwi

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Irritable Bowel / Low FODMAP
Are there any types of sugar that you can tolerate? Infinit uses a mix of sugars, which many find more tolerable.
2013-09-05 10:26 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

No fructose or fruit juice extracts.

Main concern is if I run out of drink and need more from aid stations. I won't be able to drink their electrolyte drinks that they give me.

I've tried the likes of perpetuem but this was no good.
2013-10-24 7:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Have you had a look at HEED? My Mum has similar issues and she uses that with no ill side effects.I use a coconut water powder, but I can't say I've checked the label recently to see if it would be suitable or if it has enough carbs!Perhaps glucose tablets and water?

Edited by Casie 2013-10-24 7:12 AM
2013-10-24 10:36 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Can you do a natural sugar like dates? I carried medjool dates on a half marathon once and it worked out great. I've also seen pureed fruit (in baby food aisle as well as natural food aisle for adults) in soft pouches, are natural sugars from fruit OK?

Coconut water might also be worth looking into for "natural" electrolytes. 

2013-10-24 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
If you're open to a prescription, Cholestramine is a great treatment for IBS and colitis. It's a cholesterol lowering drug, but works wonders on your GI tract in the process. It made a huge difference in my life.

2014-01-10 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
yeah, try coconut water. its what i use during my long runs and races.
2014-01-29 2:25 PM
in reply to: yarislab

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by yarislab yeah, try coconut water. its what i use during my long runs and races.

coconut water is a laxative, maybe not the best solution for someone with IBS. I would recommend eating a TON of fiber in your regular diet; it seems to make other things have a less negative effect.

2014-02-01 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4847220

User image

Try drinking some kefir. Our modern life style and foods deplete the good bacteria flora in our digestive tracks. Kefir has worked wonders for some people even with ulcerative colitis and chrons. You can buy kefir at any store. I make my own from milk and that is the best. Over 30 bacteria in it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Irritable Bowel / Low FODMAP Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

belly fat cure-- low sugar low carb diet- any feedback?

Started by C F
Views: 5537 Posts: 9

2011-03-24 3:37 PM C F

Is my body fat TOO low?

Started by scott_loong
Views: 1626 Posts: 16

2005-07-30 3:02 PM Denise2003

e*gel kicks your gels butt and it's low sugar

Started by trixie
Views: 1532 Posts: 11

2005-06-15 10:43 AM cadreamer

Low Cal / High Carb?

Started by sranney
Views: 1219 Posts: 8

2005-05-30 2:34 PM sranney

Low carb diet during taper

Started by Hermom
Views: 2052 Posts: 15

2005-04-03 4:06 PM sharonnagy5
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : March 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Provide your body with a wholesome and nutritious meal and keep healthy, low-calorie evening snacks available for after dinner.
date : March 5, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 3
Why do you think you need to take so many pills? Look instead at your eating patterns - not vitamin deficiencies - as contributing to the low energy.

date : August 17, 2007
comments : 0
Athletic individuals in general are prone to upset of both the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract. We will discuss two of the most common gastrointestinal issues, reflux and diarrhea.
date : March 6, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 6
A comparison between two athletes and their results based on a high intensity vs a low intensity program.

date : May 1, 2006
Exercise-related hyponatremia (low sodium in the blood) is a rare cause of death in endurance athletes. Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, difficulty breathing and seizure.
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
A lot of us don’t spend too much time worrying about stretching and strengthening exercises for our lower back.