Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2014-01-06 4:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club

Originally posted by rrrunner

Thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'm still at it and loving it. I'm wondering, though, after about 8 weeks on the plan if I should do a 5k to see if I need to change my VDOT level.

Also, DS2 started running again at the first of the year. He's been off since Rock N Roll Denver (Oct 20) with an injury so I bought him a hard copy of JD's book and he's using it now too. Happy New Year and happy running all!

I believe JD says at least 6 weeks to bump up your VDOT. I always think it's good to race for the "proof."

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I want the 3rd edition!

2014-01-06 4:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'm still at it and loving it. I'm wondering, though, after about 8 weeks on the plan if I should do a 5k to see if I need to change my VDOT level.

Also, DS2 started running again at the first of the year. He's been off since Rock N Roll Denver (Oct 20) with an injury so I bought him a hard copy of JD's book and he's using it now too. Happy New Year and happy running all!

I believe JD says at least 6 weeks to bump up your VDOT. I always think it's good to race for the "proof."

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I want the 3rd edition!

I think a better way of looking at it is this: after 6 weeks or so of a solid training block, you MAY have achieved an improvement in your fitness that might allow a higher vdot. As you noted, A, the proof is in the pudding. I've gone an entire sesason of multipace training and remained stagnant, for a variety of reasons...

So, I'd vote to find a 5K and prove it to yourself.

I'm more interested in Friel's next book which will focus on old peeps like me-due out next fall, I think.
2014-01-07 10:54 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, I agree with doing a 5k to prove myself worthy of the upgrade

I'll probably wait until February when DS2 is ready to do one as well. He wants to spend a few easy weeks on recovery then see where he his for VDOT.

2014-01-07 7:57 PM

User image

Seattle
Hey Dale, I don't mean to exploit your profession- well ok maybe I do, but I'm sorry! Do you think it's important for my primary care physician to have some experience with runners or at least some sort of endurance athletes? Or do you believe that to only be important if I need help with something running specific?
2014-01-14 1:31 PM

User image

Seattle

OK, I was reading a Pre book and stumbled across this image:

Pretty awesome that singlet hasn't changed in all these years! Super proud to rock the orange

OK, now I have a real question. This may be dumb and I am sorry. But is there a way to ballpark glycogen stores? And/or calculate the rate at which we deplete them?

2014-01-14 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

That's pretty cool!  I was reading "The Perfect Mile" over Christmas and thought of you. Also wondered if you saw this. Pretty cool.

2014-01-14 2:12 PM

User image

Seattle

That's pretty cool!  I was reading "The Perfect Mile" over Christmas and thought of you. Also wondered if you saw this. Pretty cool.

Hmmm your link is broken ... or something

2014-01-14 2:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hmmm your link is broken ... or something

How about

www.skirtsports.com/261

Nope. Well if you go to Skirtsports they have a new line called 261 which is developed with Kathrine Switzer!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-01-14 2:32 PM
2014-01-15 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Pretty awesome that singlet hasn't changed in all these years! Super proud to rock the orange

OK, now I have a real question. This may be dumb and I am sorry. But is there a way to ballpark glycogen stores? And/or calculate the rate at which we deplete them?

Cool pics.  :-)

I think there is a way to calculate your glycogen stores, but I believe it requires lab testing or one heck of a lot of field testing.  This might be a question to throw out in TT (and have it immediately ignored ).

2014-01-15 4:57 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I think there is a way to calculate your glycogen stores, but I believe it requires lab testing or one heck of a lot of field testing.  This might be a question to throw out in TT (and have it immediately ignored ).

Haha, maybe I will have to do that. I suppose I should start working up the nerve now

2014-01-15 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Haha, maybe I will have to do that. I suppose I should start working up the nerve now

why in the world do you want to know your glycogen stores?

2014-01-15 5:17 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce

why in the world do you want to know your glycogen stores?

Oh, I don't know. I guess I am just curious?

I guess I was more curious at what rate we deplete them. But I guess that would be highly individual. Assuming I go into my run Monday full, I imagine I will find out how quickly I deplete them.

2014-01-15 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
There is no usefulness in knowing what your 'glycogen stores' are...

Even if you knew precisely, it would not be a constant thing. It is highly dependent on diet, and what went on in your body recently regarding physical activity. There is nothing useful to know regarding racing, either.

Train to improve the way your body uses fat, so you become a 'better' fat burner. Maximize your available glycogen pre race and make sure you have enough bonus calories during race day to ensure that you don't ever go over the edge.

That is the best you can do.

BTW, if you need to know-it is somewhere between 90 and 120 minutes for most people. And the exact amount, as I alluded to, doesn't matter.

Have a fun depletion run!
2014-01-28 8:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Howdy everyone.  Just completed Phase 1 of the 24-week 5-to-15k plan, slowly building back up to 20 mpw.  Had a tiny setback with some knee swelling over the weekend but that seems to have resolved itself.  Today was my first "Q" workout of Phase 2...Repetitions on a treadmill.  It was about -10* wind chill here this morning so I didn't even want to walk from the car to the gym.  I did about 4' total at R pace...it was pretty easy and actually made the 4 miles on the treadmill more tolerable.  Thursday will be some short cruise intervals...maybe 6' total.  I'm going to continue Q runs 2x/week as my cycling is still pretty easy at this point...I'll re-evaluate that once I hit the more intense cycling in Build.

5K race next weekend...given the weather and where I am in my training cycle I'll give it about 95% effort, try to negative split and see where the chips fall.

My swimming is still a mess, but that's another book thread... 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2014-01-28 8:28 AM
2014-01-28 12:05 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Howdy everyone.  Just completed Phase 1 of the 24-week 5-to-15k plan, slowly building back up to 20 mpw.  Had a tiny setback with some knee swelling over the weekend but that seems to have resolved itself.  Today was my first "Q" workout of Phase 2...Repetitions on a treadmill.  It was about -10* wind chill here this morning so I didn't even want to walk from the car to the gym.  I did about 4' total at R pace...it was pretty easy and actually made the 4 miles on the treadmill more tolerable.  Thursday will be some short cruise intervals...maybe 6' total.  I'm going to continue Q runs 2x/week as my cycling is still pretty easy at this point...I'll re-evaluate that once I hit the more intense cycling in Build.

5K race next weekend...given the weather and where I am in my training cycle I'll give it about 95% effort, try to negative split and see where the chips fall.

I went through the same thing and got pretty close to Phase III before the amount of Q work was more than I could handle.  I was surprised at how comfortable the R-pace workouts were and I still do them because I love being on the track and am still benefiting from them.  The I-pace stuff is another story.  They get pretty intense.  Hmmm.. is that what the "I" really stands for?

Just be careful as you get a few weeks into it.  I think there is some cumulative stress that is hard to fully recover from within the weekly cycle.  I think it was about the fourth week that things started breaking down for me.  Be prepared to back off on the I stuff if need be.  Good luck. 

2014-01-28 12:40 PM

User image

Seattle

Very exciting, and thanks for keeping us updated!

And brrrrrrrr! I do not envy that weather.

2014-01-28 1:24 PM

User image

Seattle

I'm 4 weeks into my marathon training and working my way through my 5th. I think I'll focus a little less on volume and transition to more quality after 6 weeks. 

So, weeks 7-10 will slowly build up the intensity until my HM, then taking a bit of a down week before the final build and taper.

It sounds so short when I lay it out like that, haha.

2014-01-31 5:15 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Well, OK, let's here how that 5K goes!  Good luck, brotha!

Never have I repeated the mantra "embrace the suck" as much as I'm doing these days.  We had our anual tri team party last week which included a silent auction.  I "won" a 25K race entry on March 15th.  Uhhhhhhhhh, does that mean I should probably start running again??? Why does it have to be neagative colder than a witch's teet.  Waaaah!

I've been doing some intervals on the hotel treadmill and I got back in the water today (JFC, was that pathetic!).  Trying to get into a bit of a routine.  Going to also try to check into BT a bit more.  Miss you guys.

Salty, FYI, I'm gonna stalk the holy falk out of you this season, as I'm convinced mine will be in the shytter.  I hope you are having a lovely M build, dearest. xo.

2014-02-09 9:47 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Another 5K done...."wait, what???  You don't ALWAYS PR a race???" 

It was about 25* out and a little breezy, and the course was following a paved trail.  Those are tough to gauge your pace and effort on, but I held pace throughout and while my finish left something to be desired, I'll take it for February.  Garmin had me at 3.14, so that extra 0.04 cost me my sub-23.  Or that's my story anyway...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=510653

Elesa - glad to hear you're back at it, whatever you can manage given the situation

Salty - just keep runnin'..."half marathon" + "intensity" sounds awful

Winter will end...I promise!!!

2014-02-10 11:53 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by switch

Never have I repeated the mantra "embrace the suck" as much as I'm doing these days.  We had our anual tri team party last week which included a silent auction.  I "won" a 25K race entry on March 15th.  Uhhhhhhhhh, does that mean I should probably start running again??? Why does it have to be neagative colder than a witch's teet.  Waaaah!

I've been doing some intervals on the hotel treadmill and I got back in the water today (JFC, was that pathetic!).  Trying to get into a bit of a routine.  Going to also try to check into BT a bit more.  Miss you guys.

Salty, FYI, I'm gonna stalk the holy falk out of you this season, as I'm convinced mine will be in the shytter.  I hope you are having a lovely M build, dearest. xo.

Glad to see ya checkin' in! 

Just build nice and slow and steady! Try to resist pushing it (and getting discouraged) and just focus on getting the routine down. Then you can get after it. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to still have a fantastic season. A nice forced break might have been just what you needed. 

My coach is having me do a 15K in two weeks. He wants me to just "run" the first half and if I am feelin' it, "race" the second half. Should be an interesting experience. I think it will be really good for Boston training in particular as it's a marathon all about execution rather than "speed."

2014-02-10 11:59 AM

User image

Seattle

It was about 25* out and a little breezy, and the course was following a paved trail.  Those are tough to gauge your pace and effort on, but I held pace throughout and while my finish left something to be desired, I'll take it for February.  Garmin had me at 3.14, so that extra 0.04 cost me my sub-23.  Or that's my story anyway...

Elesa - glad to hear you're back at it, whatever you can manage given the situation

Yeaaaah, I hear ya on winter conditions. I set out to do like 16-18 miles yesterday in about 3" of snow. It was sooooooo sloooooooowwwwww. At about 17 miles I was going to catch the bus and head home but due to shyte weather, the busses were delayed so it was going to be faster for me to just run home rather than wait around in the snow.

Nice job on the 5K. PRing every race would be insane as there are far too many variable (like, ahem, WEATHER.)

Don't take those garmin distances to heart, especially if it was a certified course. Not to burst your bubble. Just get it next time.  

2014-02-10 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I said this in you RR, but I think that's a good time given that weather and where you are in your training.  I fully expect additional PRs for you in the not-too-distant future :)

How is Daniels' going?

I am s-l-o-w-l-y easing back into running, but it has to be at least 10 degrees for me to run outside, so it's been difficult to string much together.  I am 7/7 today for hot yoga, though, and I think it's really helping my lower leg stuff.  I'm going to try to keep that yuckiness at bay as I ramp things back up.

2014-02-10 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Just build nice and slow and steady! Try to resist pushing it (and getting discouraged) and just focus on getting the routine down. Then you can get after it. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to still have a fantastic season. A nice forced break might have been just what you needed. 

My coach is having me do a 15K in two weeks. He wants me to just "run" the first half and if I am feelin' it, "race" the second half. Should be an interesting experience. I think it will be really good for Boston training in particular as it's a marathon all about execution rather than "speed."

It's nice to see you checkin' in;)

One thing this little life event has done is it has allowed me to chill the frick out with my goals this season. I will take it nice and slow.  Promise :)

That is an interesting distance--15K.  Have you done that before?  I've never done a race that distance, but that's about my favorite training distance..  What will your course be like?

You're such a good racer and an excellent executer (is that a word?). I think of those things as strengths for you.

How is training going?  You said you've been busy.  Doing ok?

2014-02-10 4:27 PM

User image

Seattle

It's nice to see you checkin' in

One thing this little life event has done is it has allowed me to chill the frick out with my goals this season. I will take it nice and slow.  Promise

That is an interesting distance--15K.  Have you done that before?  I've never done a race that distance, but that's about my favorite training distance..  What will your course be like?

You're such a good racer and an excellent executer (is that a word?). I think of those things as strengths for you.

How is training going?  You said you've been busy.  Doing ok?

Oh yeah, everything is great. I was just on vacation. 

15K is an uncommon distance. I have not raced it before. They are doing a 15K and a 15-miler. My coach would have had me to the 15-miler but the HM is two weeks after so we opted for the 15K. I'm an OK executer. Executioner? But I could always be better. Especially at Boston. I wouldn't say I executed well last year. So, the more practice the better. This year I won't zig-zag around the course like an idiot. I misunderstood last year when they said the water/gatorade will alternate every mile...not that the two would alternate, but that there would be water and gatorade on both sides (alternating) every mile. That IS confusing ...Anyway, it's the little things.

Training is going well. The long runs seem to come easier than they have before. The fast stuff is still really hard but I think it always will be for me. It's funny though, I guess I am a lot more focused on the bigger picture of just becoming a better runner. Not just the next race. I haven't given a whole lot of thought to the race itself yet.

I've done a little digging and got a contact for your hay bale situation but haven't gotten any useful info/resources from her yet so, that's that for now. Hopefully something becomes of it. 

2014-03-10 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Just thought I'd give a heads up to the JD peeps that Salty PR'd her HM this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read the RR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have a question. I posted this in the Manatee Group but thought I'd ask here too.

I just had an unexpected 2 weeks off from training. I had my wisdom teeth out and it affected my a lot more than I expected it would. I figured I'd be out a couple days then back at it. Notsomuch. So, the two weeks I was out happened to be the last two weeks of my JD plan. The plan was going really well and I was adapting to each increase in intensity/time/distance with only minor negative effects (i.e. dizziness on the dreadmill). So my question is where do I go from here? I was thinking of starting the plan over again? Do I stay at the same levels? We discussed before that I shouldn't move up a level without testing at a race so maybe I'll start over at the same level and move up if/when I can justify it by doing better at a 5k? I'm doing a 7k this weekend but it'll be a slow one as I'm running with family. Maybe I can find a 5k to do in a couple weeks. Thoughts?

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1859 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2156 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1698 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2283 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1388 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.