Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2014-03-10 2:41 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club

Originally posted by rrrunner

Just thought I'd give a heads up to the JD peeps that Salty PR'd her HM this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read the RR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have a question. I posted this in the Manatee Group but thought I'd ask here too.

I just had an unexpected 2 weeks off from training. I had my wisdom teeth out and it affected my a lot more than I expected it would. I figured I'd be out a couple days then back at it. Notsomuch. So, the two weeks I was out happened to be the last two weeks of my JD plan. The plan was going really well and I was adapting to each increase in intensity/time/distance with only minor negative effects (i.e. dizziness on the dreadmill). So my question is where do I go from here? I was thinking of starting the plan over again? Do I stay at the same levels? We discussed before that I shouldn't move up a level without testing at a race so maybe I'll start over at the same level and move up if/when I can justify it by doing better at a 5k? I'm doing a 7k this weekend but it'll be a slow one as I'm running with family. Maybe I can find a 5k to do in a couple weeks. Thoughts?

I think with 2 weeks off you might want to ramp back in easy and build back up again vs trying to start where you left off. 

Unless you do a race and your Vdot tells you something else. Like you said, the 7K with family won't tell you anything.

You still make gains running easy so I think it beats trying to jump in too fast and becoming injured. 

2014-04-06 8:38 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I've still been following JD's plan, trying to incorporate it into my triathlon training.  I'm in Phase 3 right now, and just came off a build to 25 mpw and 2 Q workouts per week, plus a long run.  I had a recovery week, which gave me a perfect opportunity for a test race.  It's a 5.7K, so of course given I've never raced that distance it would SO a PR.   I did set a PR 5K within the race (22:19 over the final 5K), just not enough for the next VDOT (22:15).  I have a 10K next weekend where I'll be shooting for sub-46, which will definitely get me that VDOT.  Here's the RR if anyone's interested:

Brigance Brigade 5.7K

With the training focus on running, I've found that my other workouts, especially my cycling, were really suffering.  I think Steve warned me about this.    Once I finish Phase 3 I'm going to move to a more cycling focus over the last six weeks before my A-race, an OLY on May 31st.

I knew Steve (marathon) and Elesa (5K test) were racing this weekend too, and hell Adrienne is either running 20 miles or racing just about every day now.  :-)

2014-04-08 4:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I've still been following JD's plan, trying to incorporate it into my triathlon training.  I'm in Phase 3 right now, and just came off a build to 25 mpw and 2 Q workouts per week, plus a long run.  I had a recovery week, which gave me a perfect opportunity for a test race.  It's a 5.7K, so of course given I've never raced that distance it would SO a PR.   I did set a PR 5K within the race (22:19 over the final 5K), just not enough for the next VDOT (22:15).  I have a 10K next weekend where I'll be shooting for sub-46, which will definitely get me that VDOT.  Here's the RR if anyone's interested:

Brigance Brigade 5.7K

With the training focus on running, I've found that my other workouts, especially my cycling, were really suffering.  I think Steve warned me about this.    Once I finish Phase 3 I'm going to move to a more cycling focus over the last six weeks before my A-race, an OLY on May 31st.

I knew Steve (marathon) and Elesa (5K test) were racing this weekend too, and hell Adrienne is either running 20 miles or racing just about every day now.  :-)

It's certainly a fine balance, triathlon. 

I think you can continue to improve your running while you are incorporating the other stuff, you just have to find that balance.

Do you have a plan for how your running will change when you start the cycling focus?

Oh and obviously I already told you, great job on your race! I love seeing steady improvement. I am looking forward to seeing how the 10K goes. What is the course like?

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-04-08 4:53 PM
2014-04-11 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Asalzwed

It's certainly a fine balance, triathlon. 

I think you can continue to improve your running while you are incorporating the other stuff, you just have to find that balance.

Do you have a plan for how your running will change when you start the cycling focus?

Oh and obviously I already told you, great job on your race! I love seeing steady improvement. I am looking forward to seeing how the 10K goes. What is the course like?

My plan for moving to a more cycling focus is just to have one Q day a week...probably 3 miles total worth of T, I, and R work all in one track session.  I'm also going to hold at about 20-22 mpw across 5 runs, two of them really short (<2 miles).  I'll still have a long run around 7-8 miles on Saturday mornings if I'm not racing.

For tomorrow's race, the course is pancake flat except for a hill at mile 2.5 and one at 5.2.  It's got PR written all over it if I execute properly and can dig deep the final 1.5-2 miles.  I'm shooting for 46 flat, which might be a bit aggressive/optimistic but the course sets up to give that a try, anyway.

2014-04-11 3:49 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Good luck with your race tomorrow Mike.  I am sure you will crush it.  I imagine the weather will be somewhat better than your last 10k which will be a plus.

Be careful with too much I and R on 20-22 miles a week.  JD had at 5% of weekly mileage.  T, I and R have different purposes so not sure how you would get in enough of each for the desired benefits in one workout.  I am a JD novice so maybe there is nothing to my comment but you might want to stick with a particular type of quality workout and rotate purposes each week.  Or maybe focus on a T or I and do some strides on one of your easy runs.

I am still trying to figure out how my own run focus is going to transition into a full s/b/r schedule.  Ideally, I have a long run on Saturday or Sunday(13-15), a easy pace medium run on Thursday (8-9), a tempo run on Wednesday, easy 30 minutes Monday and/or Tuesday.  5 or 6 days 30mpw.  I really miss the R workouts on the track.  They were just fun for me.  I don't know.  Maybe I'll have to rethink all this.

2014-04-11 4:04 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Good luck with your race tomorrow Mike.  I am sure you will crush it.  I imagine the weather will be somewhat better than your last 10k which will be a plus.

Be careful with too much I and R on 20-22 miles a week.  JD had at 5% of weekly mileage.  T, I and R have different purposes so not sure how you would get in enough of each for the desired benefits in one workout.  I am a JD novice so maybe there is nothing to my comment but you might want to stick with a particular type of quality workout and rotate purposes each week.  Or maybe focus on a T or I and do some strides on one of your easy runs.

I am still trying to figure out how my own run focus is going to transition into a full s/b/r schedule.  Ideally, I have a long run on Saturday or Sunday(13-15), a easy pace medium run on Thursday (8-9), a tempo run on Wednesday, easy 30 minutes Monday and/or Tuesday.  5 or 6 days 30mpw.  I really miss the R workouts on the track.  They were just fun for me.  I don't know.  Maybe I'll have to rethink all this.

Steve, have you thought of running any all-comers meets? I see BHAM has a series of meets as do we here in Seattle. I'll come up there every now and again if you come down here

2014-04-11 4:11 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yeah, they have been doing these meets here for many years but I have never participated.  I think a 5k on the track would be a blast.  Where do they have them in Seattle? 

2014-04-11 4:18 PM

User image

Seattle

We have them every Wednesday starting at the end of May - August.  I'll let you know when they announce the schedule. Our club puts them on.

The 5K is a pretty regular and they rotate the 10K in every now and again, too. I believe they also alternate the 1500 and a true mile, which I think would be fun/awful. 

A lot of the events, especially the longer ones, are very competitive. So, you have to check the ego and embrace DFL. But it's a fantastic environment. 

2014-04-11 5:20 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think the environment here is very different from what I understand.  The meets here are primarily for grade school kids so I think they had better check their egos at the gate.

Seriously, I believe they have a ton of younger age groups and the meet is more geared for them.  I am sure there are a few older folks but I doubt it is highly competitve.  For me, a 5k on the track would be a great way to get a hard tempo run in and be a lot of fun.     

2014-04-11 5:32 PM

User image

Seattle

I think the environment here is very different from what I understand.  The meets here are primarily for grade school kids so I think they had better check their egos at the gate.

Seriously, I believe they have a ton of younger age groups and the meet is more geared for them.  I am sure there are a few older folks but I doubt it is highly competitve.  For me, a 5k on the track would be a great way to get a hard tempo run in and be a lot of fun.     

Yeah, we have a huge turnout for the younger kids as well but they are focusing on the shorter events. It's pretty rare for them to run over a mile. Actually, they might not even be allowed to. 

2014-04-11 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

We have them every Wednesday starting at the end of May - August.  I'll let you know when they announce the schedule. Our club puts them on.

The 5K is a pretty regular and they rotate the 10K in every now and again, too. I believe they also alternate the 1500 and a true mile, which I think would be fun/awful. 

A lot of the events, especially the longer ones, are very competitive. So, you have to check the ego and embrace DFL. But it's a fantastic environment. 

OMG...on the track???  25 laps???  I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork.  :-)

2014-04-11 7:35 PM

User image

Seattle

OMG...on the track???  25 laps???  I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork.  :-)

It's not THAT bad, remember I just did it

You just have to break it up. 

2014-04-11 8:10 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I am assuming the Spring Open is not your typical mid-week all comers meet down there?  I was looking at the results and if that is a typical mid-week meet I would be DFL in humiliating fashion.  I did see a buddy of mine ran a 4:10 1500 that day.   

2014-04-12 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I ran the 800 in high school...I did the 3200 once and had trouble counting the laps.  :-)

2014-04-12 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Weather does look much better than 22* and 30 mph winds.  :-)

For my Q workouts, in Phase 4 Daniels has combo T, I, and R work all in one day for the Q1 workouts in the 5-to15K training plan.  I'm of course scaling it down to the mileage limits...I've been REALLY careful about that. 

For my first Phase 4 Q session, I'm doing something like this:

1.5 M WU2 x 5' @ T pace, 2' jog RBI
2 x 0.5K @ I pace, ~ 2' RBI
2 x 0.5K @ R pace, 5' RBI
1.5 M CD

I'll increase it a little bit over the first three weeks, but staying well under the 10%/8%/5% limits for T/I/R work.

2014-04-12 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

For my Q workouts, in Phase 4 Daniels has combo T, I, and R work all in one day for the Q1 workouts in the 5-to15K training plan.  I'm of course scaling it down to the mileage limits...I've been REALLY careful about that. 

1.5 M CD

I'll increase it a little bit over the first three weeks, but staying well under the 10%/8%/5% limits for T/I/R work.

I commend you for getting to phase 4.  I got one week into phase 3 and couldn't go any further.  I also, obviously, didn't read ahead.

Can't wait to hear about the race. 

2014-04-12 12:56 PM

User image

Seattle

1.5 M CD

.5k? 1.5 M? Are you running on a track?
2014-04-14 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Asalzwed .5k? 1.5 M? Are you running on a track?

Kinda sorta...we have a little park called Rash Field in the Inner Harbor, that is just about an even 0.5K around the outer edge.  it's rectangular, so you have some tight turns, but it works.  I see people doing speed work there all the time.  There's also a crazy steep hill if I'm so inclined. For longer stuff I just run along the Harbor...almost completely flat.  I use my Garmin to track the distances.

The WU and CD are the distance from my gym where I park.

2014-04-14 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Race done...not quite what I had hoped for but very solid:

Sole of the City 10K

Should have been named "Sole of the City 10K+"...Garmin had about 6.31 and maymyrun was even higher.  Strava had me at 46:39 for the first 10K.  I think my old PR was on a course that was a tad short...I guess it all evens out in the end.

2014-04-14 3:34 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed .5k? 1.5 M? Are you running on a track?

Kinda sorta...we have a little park called Rash Field in the Inner Harbor, that is just about an even 0.5K around the outer edge.  it's rectangular, so you have some tight turns, but it works.  I see people doing speed work there all the time.  There's also a crazy steep hill if I'm so inclined. For longer stuff I just run along the Harbor...almost completely flat.  I use my Garmin to track the distances.

The WU and CD are the distance from my gym where I park.

Ah ok! I thought 500m on the track seemed a little odd.

2014-04-22 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

1.5 M WU
2 x 5' @ T pace, 2' jog RBI
1.5 M CD

Got through this early today...tough workout but doable, a little over 6 miles total. I stretched out the final R maybe :15/mile below target pace...just wanted to go fast.  :-)

I've been hanging around 20 miles per week while I've been building up swimming (thanks to Elesa's nagging swimming challenge) and the bike as well.  I think at my fitness/experience level, pushing it much past that would wear me down pretty quickly.

I just signed up for a 5K race next weekend, pancake flat and close to my house.  It's at the end of a recovery week so I'll have a little taper then I'm going to go all-out, collapsing-at-the-finish and see what happens.  Shooting for sub-22, so I can't dilly dally around the first 1/2 mile climbing over the walkers and kids like last fall.  :-)

2014-04-22 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Nice! I've been adding a tiny bit of speed work/ intensity with Shane's challenge and it is amazing how much it takes out of me. I officially feel old
2014-04-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by switch Nice! I've been adding a tiny bit of speed work/ intensity with Shane's challenge and it is amazing how much it takes out of me. I officially feel old

I've been checking out Shane's thread...I would participate but it's the wrong time in my training plan.  I might steal a workout or two...I liked the idea of the accelerations you all did last week.  I can't believe more people aren't joining that...they could learn a lot from him.

2014-04-22 2:44 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by switch Nice! I've been adding a tiny bit of speed work/ intensity with Shane's challenge and it is amazing how much it takes out of me. I officially feel old

I've been checking out Shane's thread...I would participate but it's the wrong time in my training plan.  I might steal a workout or two...I liked the idea of the accelerations you all did last week.  I can't believe more people aren't joining that...they could learn a lot from him.

There are so many who should be all over this. Vast majority of the forum, really. At least jumping in and getting what they can out of it.

2014-04-22 3:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by switch Nice! I've been adding a tiny bit of speed work/ intensity with Shane's challenge and it is amazing how much it takes out of me. I officially feel old :)

There are so many who should be all over this. Vast majority of the forum, really. At least jumping in and getting what they can out of it.

This just baffles me.  I can't really give my running the attention the challenge deserves, but I'm trying to do what I can because it's such an opportuntiy.  I don't understand the low participation. 

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1858 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2156 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1698 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2283 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1388 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.