Other Resources Challenge Me! » Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-10-25 3:13 PM
in reply to: switch

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club

Perhaps I should update the pogo stick analogy to these things.

2013-10-25 3:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club

I don't have flying dreams, but I do have bounding running dreams--those look AWESOME!

2013-10-28 1:01 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by brigby1

As a guy who gained a lot of speed off training by HR on the bike (I still use HR), I feel like he's not giving it enough credit.  I have a few guys in my area that race with power too that act as if HR is the worst metric in the universe.  

I know what you're saying. I've made lots of progress with HR and continue to use it. I think he was just putting out the issues with it and not taking the time to apply weight to them, so it tends to come across as if all things are equally bad. If he did, it would likely come across much less critical than it seems now. His focus was more on explaining the power metrics.

Yeah I kind of read that section as "let's talk about HR....it sucks...moving on."

Originally posted by switch

Matt, are you still using HR or do you have a PM?

Bolded for you  but I am going to toy with trainerroad some this offseason.  I just can't justify spending ~$800 on a metric.

Matt, I'm with you on many counts.  I've read a number of articles/books/threads on power that seem to put down HR training as not being good, but I have come to interpret that simply that the writers feel power meter training is better.  I've used HR for years and think it is a GREAT way to train and I've seen good results when doing so.  I started using TrainerRoad with their virtual power and I think it is AWESOME as well - and have seen good results there too.  There's a place for both and they are not mutually exclusive.  Like you, I struggle with spending $800-2,000 on a new metric, but if the TR gains continue I may be convinced.  My current plan (assuming I don't cave to the PM before it) for my first IM next year is a HR based race plan, and if I go that way, I feel confident it will be OK.

2013-10-28 1:06 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Huh?  So is that saying that increasing flexibility could actually decrease running performance?

During my marathon phase of fitness I saw this point in multiple interweb sources.  I sorta came to the conclusion that it would more likely have application to shorter/faster races so may applies more to sprints than to IM distance races.  There's got to be a tipping point though, as you need to have some level of flexibility to minimize the likelihood of injury (especially for us older athletes). 

2013-10-28 1:41 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by TTom

Huh?  So is that saying that increasing flexibility could actually decrease running performance?

During my marathon phase of fitness I saw this point in multiple interweb sources.  I sorta came to the conclusion that it would more likely have application to shorter/faster races so may applies more to sprints than to IM distance races.  There's got to be a tipping point though, as you need to have some level of flexibility to minimize the likelihood of injury (especially for us older athletes). 

I'm not sure if too much flexibility can hurt you, but I do know that not being particularly flexible is ok.  I'm flexible enough to get into a pretty aggressive bike position, but I probably wouldn't last outside of an entry-level 101 yoga class.

Despite not being able to fold myself in half, I can still throw down some decent run times.

2013-10-28 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

As a guy who gained a lot of speed off training by HR on the bike (I still use HR), I feel like he's not giving it enough credit.  I have a few guys in my area that race with power too that act as if HR is the worst metric in the universe.  

I know what you're saying. I've made lots of progress with HR and continue to use it. I think he was just putting out the issues with it and not taking the time to apply weight to them, so it tends to come across as if all things are equally bad. If he did, it would likely come across much less critical than it seems now. His focus was more on explaining the power metrics.

Yeah I kind of read that section as "let's talk about HR....it sucks...moving on."

Matt, are you still using HR or do you have a PM?

Bolded for you  but I am going to toy with trainerroad some this offseason.  I just can't justify spending ~$800 on a metric.

Matt, I'm with you on many counts.  I've read a number of articles/books/threads on power that seem to put down HR training as not being good, but I have come to interpret that simply that the writers feel power meter training is better.  I've used HR for years and think it is a GREAT way to train and I've seen good results when doing so.  I started using TrainerRoad with their virtual power and I think it is AWESOME as well - and have seen good results there too.  There's a place for both and they are not mutually exclusive.  Like you, I struggle with spending $800-2,000 on a new metric, but if the TR gains continue I may be convinced.  My current plan (assuming I don't cave to the PM before it) for my first IM next year is a HR based race plan, and if I go that way, I feel confident it will be OK.

I'm going to try TR this week.  I'll just do my normal workouts with it for a few weeks before I test with it, which is pretty much what a lot of guys recommend with power meters.

2013-10-29 9:50 AM

Master
Northern IL

I'm not sure if too much flexibility can hurt you, but I do know that not being particularly flexible is ok.  I'm flexible enough to get into a pretty aggressive bike position, but I probably wouldn't last outside of an entry-level 101 yoga class.

Despite not being able to fold myself in half, I can still throw down some decent run times.

Yes, there is a balancing act going on. You want enough so that the necessary range of motion for the activity is easy, but not so much that the joint becomes less stable. Think of say an advanced swimmer having very flexible feet. They can have trouble with ankle stability at first when they pick up running as they don't have the strength developed yet. Then the elasticity part can be hard to tell as we may just think we're getting into better shape.

Another thing to consider is what I've seen refer to as mobility. Flexibility doesn't really matter so much as many will have enough for much of what we do. But it can take some training to be able to actively use that range of motion without assistance. Like with the bike fitting. It doesn't really take much flexibility to get into a David Zabriske like position, but it does take some development to be able to put out power and be able to hold it for some time. Few people have developed well enough to utilize the available flexibility that well.

2013-10-31 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Yes, there is a balancing act going on. You want enough so that the necessary range of motion for the activity is easy, but not so much that the joint becomes less stable. Think of say an advanced swimmer having very flexible feet. They can have trouble with ankle stability at first when they pick up running as they don't have the strength developed yet. Then the elasticity part can be hard to tell as we may just think we're getting into better shape.

Another thing to consider is what I've seen refer to as mobility. Flexibility doesn't really matter so much as many will have enough for much of what we do. But it can take some training to be able to actively use that range of motion without assistance. Like with the bike fitting. It doesn't really take much flexibility to get into a David Zabriske like position, but it does take some development to be able to put out power and be able to hold it for some time. Few people have developed well enough to utilize the available flexibility that well.

This is a great point Ben. With that in mind where do you all fall in terms of what comes first, a more aggressive set up that might temporarily decrease your power thinking that with practice you'll get there, or do you only take your position to that point where your power isn't impacted?

Matt, have you tried TR yet?

2013-10-31 10:20 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I tried my first set of over unders on the bike this morning with TR.  3 x (just under FTP, at FTP, just over FTP (4minutes work, 1 minute rest.))  Interestingly, the first set was the hardest of the three.  I think I'm discovering I need a longer warm-up than I think I do.

Pg 41 discusses threshold training and the idea of over-unders, and reinforces the idea, again, that if progress has stalled, just change it up a bit.  I think I might need to post that by my bathroom mirror, as I can get into training ruts, and do the same kind of workout without giving much thought to the specific goal of that workout, and if that is the thing I need to be working. 

Our "run with a purpose" challenge in September helped me think about that quite a bit, at least with running, but I am trying now to really think about it more with swimming and biking too.  I feel like it's helped with some of the mental fatigue of training.

2013-10-31 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I got all the software set up for TR, and I was planning on doing a ride for fun with it before testing, but I may have my first ride be a FTP test, which I'm doing Tuesday.  I'll borrow a friend's PT wheel for it, so I can see what the differences are.  I'll use TR's protocol, which is the Coggan test.  It's going to hurt, but it will be nice to know what my FTP actually is.  

If I had to guess my FTP right now, I'd say 260ish.

2013-10-31 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I tried my first set of over unders on the bike this morning with TR.  3 x (just under FTP, at FTP, just over FTP (4minutes work, 1 minute rest.))  Interestingly, the first set was the hardest of the three.  I think I'm discovering I need a longer warm-up than I think I do.

Pg 41 discusses threshold training and the idea of over-unders, and reinforces the idea, again, that if progress has stalled, just change it up a bit.  I think I might need to post that by my bathroom mirror, as I can get into training ruts, and do the same kind of workout without giving much thought to the specific goal of that workout, and if that is the thing I need to be working. 

Our "run with a purpose" challenge in September helped me think about that quite a bit, at least with running, but I am trying now to really think about it more with swimming and biking too.  I feel like it's helped with some of the mental fatigue of training.

JD recommends something similar as well.  After you plateau you change stimulus to promote improvement, if I remember correctly.

2013-10-31 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I got all the software set up for TR, and I was planning on doing a ride for fun with it before testing, but I may have my first ride be a FTP test, which I'm doing Tuesday.  I'll borrow a friend's PT wheel for it, so I can see what the differences are.  I'll use TR's protocol, which is the Coggan test.  It's going to hurt, but it will be nice to know what my FTP actually is.  

That sounds like a good plan. It will be interesting to see how close your guess is to your FTP and how close TR and the PT are too.

2013-10-31 11:35 AM

Master
Northern IL

This is a great point Ben. With that in mind where do you all fall in terms of what comes first, a more aggressive set up that might temporarily decrease your power thinking that with practice you'll get there, or do you only take your position to that point where your power isn't impacted?

Matt, have you tried TR yet?

I've pushed the edge just a bit and became more used to it. I could still ride quite strong and stay in the position for awhile, but more time was helpful towards holding it throughout an entire race.

2013-10-31 12:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

That sounds like a good plan. It will be interesting to see how close your guess is to your FTP and how close TR and the PT are too.

With little bike work going in (as I understand it) should be interesting to see how things go..

2013-10-31 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

It really varies for different people. My husband's Virtual Power and actual power were almost spot on. Mine, however, was not -- my Virtual Power was about 20-25W higher than my actual power. It was a little disappointing to see my actual power was that much lower than I was hoping for, but it wasn't completely unexpected, based on what the bike calculators showed.

Good luck with your power test! It took me a few tries to get it right....the best advice I can give you is to not go out too hard right out of the gate. Start off a little easier and build throughout.

Pretty sure my first 20 minute test had me doing like three minutes at some ridiculous (at the time) power, quickly realizing I couldn't hold that, dropping WAY off....eventually "dying" and dropping my power down to a recovery level. And then finishing it off somewhere in the middle. Needless to say, my FTP was not estimated anywhere close to accurately! Second test wasn't much better....finally gave up and went to the 8 minute test for the third one! But now that I have my FTP fairly well dialed in, I can get myself through a 20 minute paced reasonably well.
2013-10-31 1:43 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by ligersandtions

It really varies for different people. My husband's Virtual Power and actual power were almost spot on. Mine, however, was not -- my Virtual Power was about 20-25W higher than my actual power. It was a little disappointing to see my actual power was that much lower than I was hoping for, but it wasn't completely unexpected, based on what the bike calculators showed. Good luck with your power test! It took me a few tries to get it right....the best advice I can give you is to not go out too hard right out of the gate. Start off a little easier and build throughout. Pretty sure my first 20 minute test had me doing like three minutes at some ridiculous (at the time) power, quickly realizing I couldn't hold that, dropping WAY off....eventually "dying" and dropping my power down to a recovery level. And then finishing it off somewhere in the middle. Needless to say, my FTP was not estimated anywhere close to accurately! Second test wasn't much better....finally gave up and went to the 8 minute test for the third one! But now that I have my FTP fairly well dialed in, I can get myself through a 20 minute paced reasonably well.

Thanks for the advice.  I have never done the FTP protocol, but I have done several LTHR tests.  For HR you do a warmup and bike as hard as you can for 30 minutes.  You reset your HRM 10 minutes in, and the average HR for the last 20 minutes of your test is your LTHR.  I've borderline puked a few times doing that test.

The FTP seems to be a hard test as well.  The part that looks tough is the 5 min flush effort before the 20 minute test.  Going all out for 5 and then pushing your best average output for 20 sounds challenging.  I do enjoy pushing myself on the bike though, and the thought of trying to get a big number should be enough to keep me going.

2013-10-31 2:11 PM

Master
Northern IL

Thanks for the advice.  I have never done the FTP protocol, but I have done several LTHR tests.  For HR you do a warmup and bike as hard as you can for 30 minutes.  You reset your HRM 10 minutes in, and the average HR for the last 20 minutes of your test is your LTHR.  I've borderline puked a few times doing that test.

The FTP seems to be a hard test as well.  The part that looks tough is the 5 min flush effort before the 20 minute test.  Going all out for 5 and then pushing your best average output for 20 sounds challenging.  I do enjoy pushing myself on the bike though, and the thought of trying to get a big number should be enough to keep me going.

Really, the main difference between the two is just in what's being measured. One is HR, the other is power output. The sensations will be the same.

Then for the 5' & 20' efforts, there are two ways to do it. One is the "flush" with the 5' and taking a direct percentage of the 20'. The other is to be fairly well rested for each one and put the results into an algorithm to plot a curve. Most do the second method on separate days.

2013-10-31 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Really, the main difference between the two is just in what's being measured. One is HR, the other is power output. The sensations will be the same.

Then for the 5' & 20' efforts, there are two ways to do it. One is the "flush" with the 5' and taking a direct percentage of the 20'. The other is to be fairly well rested for each one and put the results into an algorithm to plot a curve. Most do the second method on separate days.

Yeah Skiba recommends the two day method, but I don't know how much I like that method.  Coggan does the 5 minute as a flush method to get rid of the burst we can get from fresh legs, so that the 20 min portion of the test is a better representative of our 1hr effort.

The problem with the Coggan method is that people will game the test by not going hard enough on the 5 min effort, doing just a hair more than their FTP.  A lot of people in my area are moving to power, and they get upset when I call them on not going out hard enough on the 5 min effort.

2013-11-01 9:22 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I have some general observations so far:

2) Pg 9 has some interesting observations about HR zones-- "your heart may in fact be in Zone III, but your legs are in Zone II or Zone IV, and your legs are what is most important."

I'm not so sure he's off on this one, but then again I could be the one that's off.  I just posted this over on TT but it definitely applies to this discussion.

Off the bat I have to admit I'm just dipping my toes into the world of training with power, using TrainerRoad and their virtual power.  Did the TR Ericsson ride today and in reviewing the results see an odd relationship between time spent in the respective power and heart rate zones.  I'm not sure if this is normal, if something is wrong with my zones in TR, or what, so wanted to put it out for those more experienced to provide some guidance.  Here's what the data looked like: 

% Time In Zone
 PowerHR
Active Recovery40.724.6
Endurance2.123.7
Tempo0.449.4
Sweet Spot46.12.1
Threshold10.60.3

Does this mean that my muscular/aerobic development is out of synch since I nominally seem to have spent the same percentage of time in the sweet spot based on power and in tempo based on HR?  Or is this not unusual for a power vs. HR relationship.  FWIW,  I did a 20-min FTP test about a month ago, so the inputs to TR should be relatively fresh (HR avg 165/avg pwr 251 for test).  Any thoughts?

2013-11-01 10:32 PM

Master
Northern IL

As said in TT, maybe some tweaking, but not really surprising that HR lags. HR creeps up rather slowly for me when working sweet spot. Especially if I'm lower in that range, it might take nearly the entire time for bigger intervals to get up there.

2013-11-03 8:40 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I thought the pic at the top of pg 48 was really helpful.  Ben, very patiently, tried to explain this to me after my first HIM this summer--thanks Ben:)  I felt really great on the bike, and at the end I got carried away and went to hard for about 5 miles--like 3mph harder than I had the rest of the ride.  Doh!  This is definitely one of the books I wish I would have read BEFORE racing :)

Sometimes there are points when I'm training now when I'll learn something and  I'll think, I can't believe I've been training/racing/whatever and I DIDN'T know that.  That's how I feel when I look at the graph on the top of page 48--how intensity feels to your body and the toll that it takes. 

And the bold from page 52:

Triathlon racing is all about riding fast enough that you don't lose too much time, but slow enough that you can run hard afterwards. As we now see, it is also very much about having an evenly paced effort. Thus, the optimal strategy is most likely not to kill yourself on the climbs, particularly in  Olympic through  Ultra distance racing.

How is everyone doing?  Could we shoot for being through the end of Chapter 7 this week, and then finishing up with 8 and 9 next week?

2013-11-03 10:09 PM

Master
Northern IL

Since you're in science of some sort, I think you would understand the idea of linearity. And that many people many tend to assume that darn near everything operates in a linear fashion, or very close to it. From all the reading you're doing, I think you're catching on that very little actually is. Even trying to approximate using it tends to be silly. Like in this graph on sweet spot, There are no straight lines anywhere. Everything is a curve.

2013-11-04 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

That's a GREAT graph.  I might print that off and post it by my trainer.  Side note, I spent some time looking around that site, and I must be getting OLD as all of those trainers and coaches looked like kids.  And if i wasn't already pining for a powermeter, I just read their top 10 reasons to use a powermeter.  Oh magic 8 ball, all signs point to yes.

And, yeah, I am realizing that there is almost nothing linear about my training.  I was a *little* slow on the uptake on that one.  Nothing like a swim focus to drive that home multiple times a week :)

I was on the trainer this morning doing and my husband came in and looked at the screen and asked what I was doing today.  I did a TR program that had a set of 3x (9 x 30 seconds 125% FTP 30 seconds EZ).  And his response was a line from the movie Dodgeball, "Oh changin it up.  Keep the body guessin" and I said "Yeah, pretty much.  As funny as it sounds that is probably the take home from all of the reading I've done lately."

2013-11-04 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

How is everyone doing?  Could we shoot for being through the end of Chapter 7 this week, and then finishing up with 8 and 9 next week?

I've been reading through it slowly.  I think that schedule is feasible. 

Picking up my buddy's PT wheel today to test tomorrow.  This should be interesting.

2013-11-06 7:22 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I've been reading through it slowly.  I think that schedule is feasible. 

Picking up my buddy's PT wheel today to test tomorrow.  This should be interesting.

Hey Matt--how'd the FTP test go?

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by switch
Views: 38430 Posts: 615

2014-06-05 3:38 PM popsracer

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1863 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1704 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2290 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1392 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
The book also addresses topics such as properly fueling for racing, includes 20 key strength training exercises, and also contains a section on how complete a fast bike-to-run transition.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.