Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, Ron Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 12
 
 
2013-12-08 6:21 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
5477
5000100100100100252525
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club
I just spent my first weekend at a swim meet as a swim parent. Saw a 13 yo girl swim a 5:04.29 500free.

Feeling a little defeated and inspired, if that's possible



2013-12-08 7:12 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
1069
10002525
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by switch I just spent my first weekend at a swim meet as a swim parent. Saw a 13 yo girl swim a 5:04.29 500free.

Feeling a little defeated and inspired, if that's possible

Those kids are amazing swimmers!  I used to go to the evening master's practice and the kids' swim team would be finishing up just before we were getting in -- some of those kids would be swimming sub-1:00 100's and look perfectly comfortable.  Just incredible....and, like you said, a tiny bit of that defeated feeling knowing I'll never be anywhere near that fast!  

2013-12-08 11:29 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
7381
50002000100100100252525
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Always fun doing a mix of bigger moderate intervals with shorter faster ones. Tonight was shorter rest on the faster ones. These aren't actually the hard part. It's trying to do that big one off the really short rest of the last short one. oof. Went from fast 100's to fast 50's and cut the send-off time in half.

2013-12-09 5:03 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
6638
5000100050010025
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

I tried my new Stretchcordz for the first time this morning.  I didn't do a whole lot - the total elapsed time from when I went down to the basement until I came back up was probably 10 mins tops.  Holy smokes, I think I'm going to feel that later on!

I'm going to try to rig up a bench of some sort to use rather than standing bent over.

2013-12-09 7:35 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
1069
10002525
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by brigby1

Always fun doing a mix of bigger moderate intervals with shorter faster ones. Tonight was shorter rest on the faster ones. These aren't actually the hard part. It's trying to do that big one off the really short rest of the last short one. oof. Went from fast 100's to fast 50's and cut the send-off time in half.

One time, we did a set of 100's on 1:30 one day....and a few sets later, our coach had us do 50's on 0:45.  I was like, "Piece of cake....the 100's went well, so the 50's should be fine -- they're shorter after all!"  Boy did I realize just how wrong I was!  

Swim this morning was a mix of awful and decent.  Ambient temps in the low 40's, pool wasn't very warm (they started heating it in the middle of the warm-up, but the heat comes from both ends, so the middle stays cold for a while), and I damn near gave up after doing a set of 8x100 on a reasonably slow interval and not getting a ton of rest.  As the swim went on, it definitely got better, but I seriously considered bailing about 1300 in!  Managed 4100 this morning in the end and felt much better by about 2500.  Sometimes I guess it just takes a long time to warm up!

2013-12-09 8:27 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
1806
1000500100100100
Canton, Bawlmer City
Silver member
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by switch I just spent my first weekend at a swim meet as a swim parent. Saw a 13 yo girl swim a 5:04.29 500free.

Feeling a little defeated and inspired, if that's possible

It's amazing, huh?  My 11 YO swam 1:13 for the 100 free this weekend, which knocked 20 seconds of her PR from last March.  I don't think I could swim that fast with fins on.



2013-12-09 8:59 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
3369
200010001001001002525
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club
Originally posted by axteraa

I tried my new Stretchcordz for the first time this morning.  I didn't do a whole lot - the total elapsed time from when I went down to the basement until I came back up was probably 10 mins tops.  Holy smokes, I think I'm going to feel that later on!

I'm going to try to rig up a bench of some sort to use rather than standing bent over.




I ordered mine finally on Saturday.

I wish I had the extra $$$ to get the Halo bench because that forces you to keep that high elbow etc. Sheila also mentions that the bench is good for people with lower back problems. I ordered the SPHandle brand cords from the Halo site, Sheila mentioned to me that hers lasts for years using it 3-4 times a week so I wanted to make sure I got something that wouldn't break.

Sheila also reminded me to stay consistent. If you only do it once or twice every couple of weeks it's not even worth it. You need to do it 3 times a week and it only needs to be 10 minutes each session (I'm sure that's in her book or one of the videos but we need to remind ourselves sometimes...).

I might have a 30T or 60T time trial swim on Thursday with our masters group. It will be good to have a time before cords, then a time after. For those that don't know, a 30T (60T) is a 30 minute (60 minute) swim where you swim as many laps as you can in that time. Hope everyone's training is going well.
2013-12-11 12:24 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
1069
10002525
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

I've been focusing on keeping my elbows high during the catch and feeling the water on my forearms and palms.  When I jumped in for the warmup this morning, my lats were sore -- I'm going to take that as a good sign that I'm having some success keeping my elbows up.

I was also able to find someone with a GoPro underwater camera who's willing to let me borrow it.  One of my master's coaches and I are going to get some video shortly so I can actually see what I'm doing.  Looking forward to it (I think....she says with trepidation!). 

2013-12-11 5:45 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
7381
50002000100100100252525
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Actually survived 750 yds of kicking at masters yesterday. And did it on the intervals with the guys I normally swim with, ~1:05/50 for this. Lots of kicking did help to get better at that. Now to keep developing the range of motion out front to be able to hold that downward feeling more. Don't have the range of motion to make a straight out extension be easy for deep into a swim.

2013-12-13 12:50 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
1806
1000500100100100
Canton, Bawlmer City
Silver member
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by brigby1

Actually survived 750 yds of kicking at masters yesterday. And did it on the intervals with the guys I normally swim with, ~1:05/50 for this. Lots of kicking did help to get better at that. Now to keep developing the range of motion out front to be able to hold that downward feeling more. Don't have the range of motion to make a straight out extension be easy for deep into a swim.

To put that in context, my 100M kick times are like 3:30 - 3:45.  I think I can actually go backwards kicking if I try. 

2013-12-14 9:24 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Champion
12711
500050002000500100100
Gold member
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by brigby1

Actually survived 750 yds of kicking at masters yesterday. And did it on the intervals with the guys I normally swim with, ~1:05/50 for this. Lots of kicking did help to get better at that. Now to keep developing the range of motion out front to be able to hold that downward feeling more. Don't have the range of motion to make a straight out extension be easy for deep into a swim.

To put that in context, my 100M kick times are like 3:30 - 3:45.  I think I can actually go backwards kicking if I try. 

that just made me laugh. Sorry

 



2014-02-03 8:56 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
7381
50002000100100100252525
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by switch

Great!  Welcome to the group    I think we have people kind of all over the place with the book and the workouts.  So just jump in when you're ready.

---------

Actually, my pool was closed for the week of Thanksgiving, and I didn't make the effort to go to one of the other ones (their hours are really hard for me), so I'm kind of starting back at square one this week with Sheila's workouts. 

How is everyone doing with the book?  The workouts?  The bands? Any questions?  Comments? 

I have been watching this talk by Gerry Rodriguez on youtube about swimming for triathletes.  He is a big fan of snorkel plus buoy plus band.  He stresses that alignment and "tautness" are things that are necessary for good swimming and that most triathletes don't have them.  Anybody have thoughts on this or do regular snorkel plus buoy plus band work?  I've never even tried a snorkel...

Seemed like it might go hand-in-hand with Sheila's discussion of tone.

That's a LONG video series  What the hell is that cameraman doing on the first couple of vid's?  I got a headache watching it.

"Triathletes do not train enough, or hard enough"  OUCH!!!  Was he looking at me??? 

His recommended workout sounds fun:

20' min WU (10' easy swimming, 10' technical stuff - NOT DRILLS)
4 x 250 w/ buoy, snorkel, and ankle bands, 20" RBI
10 x 100 on interval where you are getting 3-7" rest @ 85-88% effort
2 x 500 w/ buoy, snorkel, and ankle bands, 30" RBI
10 x 100 @ 90%, 30-60" rest (not quite all out, but hard)
10' CD

"Swimming fast is the best thing you can do for your swimming mechanics."  I've heard this before...he's basically saying your body position is at its best (you are "taut") when you are going fast.  I would tend to agree with it.  And I agree I think you can relate "taut" with "tone"

I've never tried a snorkel either.  My spine surgeon (of all people...) recommended one to remove some of the stress from swimming.  Of course, as with all medical advice, I ignored him.  I do use the buoy for maybe 20% at most.  And I occasionally use paddles...oops.  This is now the third swimming coach where I've read about using the bands...maybe I should splurge on the $20. 

Done. Need to adjust to get the timing of each section right, but got through it. Didn't feel as long as it was with the switching it up every 1k.

2014-02-03 12:04 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
1806
1000500100100100
Canton, Bawlmer City
Silver member
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by switch

Great!  Welcome to the group    I think we have people kind of all over the place with the book and the workouts.  So just jump in when you're ready.

---------

Actually, my pool was closed for the week of Thanksgiving, and I didn't make the effort to go to one of the other ones (their hours are really hard for me), so I'm kind of starting back at square one this week with Sheila's workouts. 

How is everyone doing with the book?  The workouts?  The bands? Any questions?  Comments? 

I have been watching this talk by Gerry Rodriguez on youtube about swimming for triathletes.  He is a big fan of snorkel plus buoy plus band.  He stresses that alignment and "tautness" are things that are necessary for good swimming and that most triathletes don't have them.  Anybody have thoughts on this or do regular snorkel plus buoy plus band work?  I've never even tried a snorkel...

Seemed like it might go hand-in-hand with Sheila's discussion of tone.

That's a LONG video series  What the hell is that cameraman doing on the first couple of vid's?  I got a headache watching it.

"Triathletes do not train enough, or hard enough"  OUCH!!!  Was he looking at me??? 

His recommended workout sounds fun:

20' min WU (10' easy swimming, 10' technical stuff - NOT DRILLS)
4 x 250 w/ buoy, snorkel, and ankle bands, 20" RBI
10 x 100 on interval where you are getting 3-7" rest @ 85-88% effort
2 x 500 w/ buoy, snorkel, and ankle bands, 30" RBI
10 x 100 @ 90%, 30-60" rest (not quite all out, but hard)
10' CD

"Swimming fast is the best thing you can do for your swimming mechanics."  I've heard this before...he's basically saying your body position is at its best (you are "taut") when you are going fast.  I would tend to agree with it.  And I agree I think you can relate "taut" with "tone"

I've never tried a snorkel either.  My spine surgeon (of all people...) recommended one to remove some of the stress from swimming.  Of course, as with all medical advice, I ignored him.  I do use the buoy for maybe 20% at most.  And I occasionally use paddles...oops.  This is now the third swimming coach where I've read about using the bands...maybe I should splurge on the $20. 

Done. Need to adjust to get the timing of each section right, but got through it. Didn't feel as long as it was with the switching it up every 1k.

Hey, Ben.  What type of snorkel do you use for this?  I'm fiddling with a regular swim snorkel and it kind of gets on my nerves a bit.  Thanks!

2014-02-03 12:07 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
7381
50002000100100100252525
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

I have a Finis, but didn't use it. Just swam with or without the buoy as stated.

2014-02-03 12:16 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Silver member
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

 I just got the Finis Swimmers Snorkel - Adult (they make a junior size too so make sure to check) for about $30.    I used it for the first time on Saturday and gotta say I loved working with it.  Was able to totally focus on the catch and pull and I think it'll really help me out a lot.  

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  
Show Per page
 
 
of 12
 
 
RELATED POSTS

Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by switch
Views: 6108 Posts: 83

2014-03-14 7:38 AM brigby1

Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by switch
Views: 19608 Posts: 615

2014-06-05 3:38 PM popsracer

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1052 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 1087 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 573 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.
 
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
 
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.
 
date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 0
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.
 
date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...