Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2013-11-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club
Thanks everyone! I'm very excited about it. I've worked with several coaches over the years, and have never seen any real improvement. I know my catch is a large portion of my issue, and something from the book made it click. I'll flip through my book at see if I can pick out exactly what I was thinking of while swimming, to see if it will help anyone else having catch issues.

2013-11-29 3:28 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Usually I wont do longish swims like that in training unless its a benchmark swim. IE T30, T60, 3000m, 5000m and thats only twice a year or so maybe once.
2013-11-29 5:33 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

I'm feeling better about my technique but progress is slow. I think I need more deltoid strength and endurance. I was thinking about using paddles to increase resistance and strength. Not long, just for a couple of weeks. Any opinions?
2013-12-01 10:48 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
I'm in! I'll be a bit behind though - just saw this thread and ordered the book last night. Perfect timing for me - swim is definitely my weakest, and I was already planning to work on it this winter in preparation for next season!
2013-12-02 7:49 AM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Great!  Welcome to the group    I think we have people kind of all over the place with the book and the workouts.  So just jump in when you're ready.

---------

Actually, my pool was closed for the week of Thanksgiving, and I didn't make the effort to go to one of the other ones (their hours are really hard for me), so I'm kind of starting back at square one this week with Sheila's workouts. 

How is everyone doing with the book?  The workouts?  The bands? Any questions?  Comments? 

I have been watching this talk by Gerry Rodriguez on youtube about swimming for triathletes.  He is a big fan of snorkel plus buoy plus band.  He stresses that alignment and "tautness" are things that are necessary for good swimming and that most triathletes don't have them.  Anybody have thoughts on this or do regular snorkel plus buoy plus band work?  I've never even tried a snorkel...

Seemed like it might go hand-in-hand with Sheila's discussion of tone.

2013-12-02 9:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm starting 2-1 today. Last week's She-ra workout was a great one. I usually bilateral breathe (every 3rd stroke). Holding for 7 was tough!

I'm researching bands. I don't want to spend $40+ on bands.

Edited by GAUG3 2013-12-02 9:54 AM

2013-12-02 11:29 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Usually I wont do longish swims like that in training unless its a benchmark swim. IE T30, T60, 3000m, 5000m and thats only twice a year or so maybe once.

x2 on this. There's a masters swim meet (SCM) in a couple weeks and I might swim the 1500m free, if they have that distance just to see where I'm at.
2013-12-02 11:38 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by GAUG3

I'm starting 2-1 today. Last week's She-ra workout was a great one. I usually bilateral breathe (every 3rd stroke). Holding for 7 was tough!

I just saw this. I'm looking too so let me know if you find a deal, I'll do the same.

http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13356619&view=...
2013-12-03 2:57 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I bought some Stretchcordz and they should be here soon.  I was ordering other gear and had to go over a certain amount to get free shipping so that's what I threw in.  

2013-12-03 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by reecealan

Originally posted by GAUG3

I just saw this. I'm looking too so let me know if you find a deal, I'll do the same.

http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13356619&view=...

You can save a few dollars if you are Amazon Prime: http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Aqua-Stretch-Bands-Charcoal/dp/B0093SR...
2013-12-03 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Originally posted by switch

Great!  Welcome to the group    I think we have people kind of all over the place with the book and the workouts.  So just jump in when you're ready.

---------

Actually, my pool was closed for the week of Thanksgiving, and I didn't make the effort to go to one of the other ones (their hours are really hard for me), so I'm kind of starting back at square one this week with Sheila's workouts. 

How is everyone doing with the book?  The workouts?  The bands? Any questions?  Comments? 

I have been watching this talk by Gerry Rodriguez on youtube about swimming for triathletes.  He is a big fan of snorkel plus buoy plus band.  He stresses that alignment and "tautness" are things that are necessary for good swimming and that most triathletes don't have them.  Anybody have thoughts on this or do regular snorkel plus buoy plus band work?  I've never even tried a snorkel...

I use a snorkel regularly. My masters coach asked us all to get one a few years ago. I really like that it lets me watch my hands/arms while I'm swimming, and focus on just my stroke without having to think about breathing as well. I usually incorporate it into all of my swims, during the warm-up.

2013-12-04 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

---------

That's a LONG video series  What the hell is that cameraman doing on the first couple of vid's?  I got a headache watching it.

"Triathletes do not train enough, or hard enough"  OUCH!!!  Was he looking at me??? 

His recommended workout sounds fun:

20' min WU (10' easy swimming, 10' technical stuff - NOT DRILLS)
4 x 250 w/ buoy, snorkel, and ankle bands, 20" RBI
10 x 100 on interval where you are getting 3-7" rest @ 85-88% effort
2 x 500 w/ buoy, snorkel, and ankle bands, 30" RBI
10 x 100 @ 90%, 30-60" rest (not quite all out, but hard)
10' CD

"Swimming fast is the best thing you can do for your swimming mechanics."  I've heard this before...he's basically saying your body position is at its best (you are "taut") when you are going fast.  I would tend to agree with it.  And I agree I think you can relate "taut" with "tone"

I've never tried a snorkel either.  My spine surgeon (of all people...) recommended one to remove some of the stress from swimming.  Of course, as with all medical advice, I ignored him.  I do use the buoy for maybe 20% at most.  And I occasionally use paddles...oops.  This is now the third swimming coach where I've read about using the bands...maybe I should splurge on the $20. 

2013-12-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Great!  Welcome to the group :)   I think we have people kind of all over the place with the book and the workouts.  So just jump in when you're ready.

---------

That's a LONG video series  What the hell is that cameraman doing on the first couple of vid's?  I got a headache watching it.

"Triathletes do not train enough, or hard enough"  OUCH!!!  Was he looking at me??? 

His recommended workout sounds fun:

20' min WU (10' easy swimming, 10' technical stuff - NOT DRILLS)
4 x 250 w/ buoy, snorkel, and ankle bands, 20" RBI
10 x 100 on interval where you are getting 3-7" rest @ 85-88% effort
2 x 500 w/ buoy, snorkel, and ankle bands, 30" RBI
10 x 100 @ 90%, 30-60" rest (not quite all out, but hard)
10' CD

"Swimming fast is the best thing you can do for your swimming mechanics."  I've heard this before...he's basically saying your body position is at its best (you are "taut") when you are going fast.  I would tend to agree with it.  And I agree I think you can relate "taut" with "tone"

I've never tried a snorkel either.  My spine surgeon (of all people...) recommended one to remove some of the stress from swimming.  Of course, as with all medical advice, I ignored him.  I do use the buoy for maybe 20% at most.  And I occasionally use paddles...oops.  This is now the third swimming coach where I've read about using the bands...maybe I should splurge on the $20. 

Yeah, I definitely want to try that workout.  I also thought it was interesting that he said that you should have at least one 90 minute session/week--I haven't done that with swimming in a very long time, and have never done it consistently.

I haven't watched the whole series yet.  I couldn't figure out how to track which ones I'd seen and which ones I hadn't--did you see a numbering system Mike?  I like him (GR) though. Sometimes I watch coaches talk and I find them hard to follow, hard to believe, or just downright annoying. 

Ben was just talking about that fast set of 50 x 25, and Bo mentioned the 3 (20 x 25).  I'm hoping to try one of these sometime soon and see how it goes.  As I mentioned in the STFU thread, my swimming has felt very lackluster after a week off--technique seems excellent (feeling really good connection, over the barrel, lat engagement, holding the water, etc) but I just can't maintain it for long sets. 

I'm thinking this might be one of those two-steps forward, one step back things (better technique is getting me more fatigued and more properly fatigued).  It also could be that I'm flirting with sickness and/or underestimating the stress of a big (for me right now) week of cycling and running last week. 

Mike, have you gotten back in the pool?

2013-12-04 10:08 AM

Master
Northern IL

I STILL need to watch that series. And Mike, an ankle band should be $7 or less. You can also make one from a spare bike tube. Stretch cords or bands are something else.

2013-12-04 10:17 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by brigby1

I STILL need to watch that series. And Mike, an ankle band should be $7 or less. You can also make one from a spare bike tube. Stretch cords or bands are something else.

That's what I meant.  The Sporti ones are about $8-10 on swimoutlet.com, so that seems like a low risk trial.  I'm going to see if they have them at my pool; there are both youth and Masters swim teams training there so maybe they have them.

2013-12-04 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

My 2nd time since September will be today, so I guess that qualifies as "not really".  I plan on 2x/week starting this week, gradually increasing my volume to where I can handle our 90-120 min Masters practices.  I figure maybe a 8-10 week ramp up.

The way to watch the videos is by letter...they all start with A,B,C, etc.  There are about a dozen of them.

2013-12-04 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I needed new boxers. So, I picked up a pack at Costco. They were wrapped in a 4 inch rubber band. I use that for my ankle strap.
2013-12-04 10:23 AM

User image

Not posted in a while so thought I would chime back in. My last post, I had seen an improvement in my 100 time and swam this morning and decided to time 2 500's to see where I was at. Hoping for more improvement. Alas, had a decline in performance. I was off 34 seconds on first 500 and 30 seconds on second. Very frustrating! My swim partner did point out that the pool was closed all Thanksgiving week and I guess swimming is something where consistency really pays off so gonna try and chalk this one up to that and move forward.

One thing I struggle with and maybe someone can offer some advice is I have a pause at the front of my stroke. My hand enters the water, I extend and have a pause. It's like I am "loading up" to start the pull and need just a bit of rest before I make the pull. When I try and take this pause out, I can't seem to hold that pace for long. Any suggestions? Or is it just an endurance thing that I just need to overcome?
Thanks All,
Jerred
2013-12-04 10:54 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

My 2nd time since September will be today, so I guess that qualifies as "not really".  I plan on 2x/week starting this week, gradually increasing my volume to where I can handle our 90-120 min Masters practices.  I figure maybe a 8-10 week ramp up.

The way to watch the videos is by letter...they all start with A,B,C, etc.  There are about a dozen of them.

THANK YOU!

2013-12-04 10:56 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

There's some good stuff in there, Ben.  I think you've probably heard most of it already, but he'd a good presenter and makes some good arguments for his ideas.

FWIW, I use an old spare bike tube, and it works well--I still can't swim well with it on, but it does its job;)

Anybody have a snorkel recommendation?

2013-12-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: puzzlecreek

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by puzzlecreek Not posted in a while so thought I would chime back in. My last post, I had seen an improvement in my 100 time and swam this morning and decided to time 2 500's to see where I was at. Hoping for more improvement. Alas, had a decline in performance. I was off 34 seconds on first 500 and 30 seconds on second. Very frustrating! My swim partner did point out that the pool was closed all Thanksgiving week and I guess swimming is something where consistency really pays off so gonna try and chalk this one up to that and move forward. One thing I struggle with and maybe someone can offer some advice is I have a pause at the front of my stroke. My hand enters the water, I extend and have a pause. It's like I am "loading up" to start the pull and need just a bit of rest before I make the pull. When I try and take this pause out, I can't seem to hold that pace for long. Any suggestions? Or is it just an endurance thing that I just need to overcome? Thanks All, Jerred

My pool was closed the week of Thanksgiving too, and I've been off/slow/sluggish since coming back.  Why don't you get back in your groove this week and then retest?  I bet you'll see different numbers.

As for the pause/pace question, I would take the pause out and try to build back up from there.  Are you finding your hip rotation still linked up?  How about your breathing?  It could just be a matter of finding your timing again. 

I liked the way Sheila wrote about this on pg 103:

Top swimmers never remain static on the rotated side, gliding.  Once the hips finish the drive to one side, the swimmer immediately switches direction to accentuate the drive to the other side.  The drive and change of direction are only possible when the pulling hand has traction on the water and when the core muscles have been loaded with the correct amount of tension and tone.

2013-12-04 11:09 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by axteraa

I bought some Stretchcordz and they should be here soon.  I was ordering other gear and had to go over a certain amount to get free shipping so that's what I threw in.  

How do you know what resistance to get? I know nothing about these stretch cords and I too don't want to spend too much dough ont them. But I want to get the right ones, I see them at the gym but not swim specific, just the ones trainers use etc. Also want durable that will last a while. This Stretchcordz brand seems reliable from what I can see, and I'd hope so for the price...
2013-12-04 11:10 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

There's some good stuff in there, Ben.  I think you've probably heard most of it already, but he'd a good presenter and makes some good arguments for his ideas.

FWIW, I use an old spare bike tube, and it works well--I still can't swim well with it on, but it does its job

Anybody have a snorkel recommendation?

I also use an old bike tube when I'm not swimming with the swim team.  They don't use anything commercial either though, they have a bunch of cut up wide rubber bands.  I'm not sure what it used to be but it works.

I've never used a snorkel either.  Swim team kids started using them a bit this year but I haven't tried it yet.

2013-12-04 11:13 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

How do you know what resistance to get? I know nothing about these stretch cords and I too don't want to spend too much dough ont them. But I want to get the right ones, I see them at the gym but not swim specific, just the ones trainers use etc. Also want durable that will last a while. This Stretchcordz brand seems reliable from what I can see, and I'd hope so for the price...

I guessed and went with the red which is the second highest resistance.  I posted a question on ST about it and got a few different responses.  One of them was TJ Fry and he said they sell lots of them but green was by far the most popular.  The store I was buying from didn't have green so I went one harder with red.

2013-12-04 11:16 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I guessed and went with the red which is the second highest resistance.  I posted a question on ST about it and got a few different responses.  One of them was TJ Fry and he said they sell lots of them but green was by far the most popular.  The store I was buying from didn't have green so I went one harder with red.

Have you trained with them yet?  What do you think?

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by switch
Views: 16437 Posts: 83

2014-03-14 7:38 AM brigby1

Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by switch
Views: 38430 Posts: 615

2014-06-05 3:38 PM popsracer

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1863 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2165 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1392 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...