General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forming Off-Season Goals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-05 1:05 PM

Corvallis, Oregon
Subject: Forming Off-Season Goals
Hello all,

Just like many of you I am approaching the off season and this being my first year I'm figuring out what exactly I want to work on most. I have my final Tri of the year on Sept 22nd (my first Oly).

I'm 22, I swim a few times a week usually around 1500 yards in about 25-30 minutes. Bike training is usually 18-19 mph (20-21 mph racing) on my commuter that I've slapped slimmer tires on, put cages on, and put some drop bars on, I commute (exactly) 20K four days a week, and I'll usually do about 30-40 miles on the weekends. For run training I usually do about 7:30/min miles for a 5k, and 8:30/min for 10k (race speeds are obviously a bit quicker).

I'm planning on getting some sort of Tri package with my tax refund to upgrade my bike and get some much needed equipment (better bike [that fits] cleats, wetsuit, something other than my $15 helmet, etc.) So during the fall/early winter I'm wanting to hit the run really hard. Upping total mileage for sure but I'm curious on others' thoughts about whether I should sign up for a early spring HM and work on building a base for that (current long run is 8 miles), or whether I would be better off working on building up some speed maybe shooting for a 6:30min/mile 5k and a 7min/mile 10k. I would continue to hit the pool and couple times a week, and commute + 1 longer weekend ride in order to maintain bike and swim fitness, and I currently attend a coached track practice once a week through the local Tri club.

My overall goal is to be competitive in my AG in OLYs, I'm thinking about increasing my distance to HIM in 2015. Does this seem like the right plan, or does anyone think I'm going in a wrong direction? I want to plan ahead so after my Oly I don't think that October and November are gonna be good rest months

Thanks,
Ian

Edited by Tribreitz 2013-09-05 1:06 PM

2013-09-05 1:14 PM
in reply to: Tribreitz

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Forming Off-Season Goals
"I'm thinking about increasing my distance to HIM in 2015."

Based on what you have written, I think you could do a HIM tomorrow morning and be fine to finish.
2013-09-05 1:31 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by Swimbikeron

"I'm thinking about increasing my distance to HIM in 2015."

Based on what you have written, I think you could do a HIM tomorrow morning and be fine to finish.

I could probably squeeze one out, but right now finishing an HIM isn't even a goal (although I guess I insinuated that it was...). I think in a few years once I have a stronger endurance base finishing FOP in an HIM might make its way to my goal list.
2013-09-05 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Sounds like your question is to work on speed or endurance. If FOP Oly is your goal, I think speed is the best plan. It sounds like you already have the oly level endurance.
2013-09-05 7:46 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I think the conventional wisdom would be to spend the off-season building your overall endurance. It's a great time to do this because you don't have to focus on speed and being ready to race fast. I'm going a little later this year for my season (HIM in late October), but when I'm finished, I'll step back and do training at aerobic threshold. I've done this the last couple of years and found that my triathlon training has really improved when I start the season with a base. Working on run training is an effective and efficient way to do this (http://trited.blogspot.com/2012/05/marathon-purpose-2012.html). Good luck and hope your last race goes well!
2013-09-05 7:56 PM

User image

Build up your training base in the off season.  You don't really have to focus on speed.  For endurance racing, most people's limiter is endurance...shocking huh?  They already have the ability to bike 30 mph or run a 5 minute mile pace.  They just don't have the endurance to sustain it for a given distance or amount of time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forming Off-Season Goals Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Off Season Training Goal

Started by jbwills
Views: 1160 Posts: 4

2012-08-02 7:44 AM TriBoilermaker

To off season or not to off season???

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 2065 Posts: 14

2011-08-29 11:26 AM PinkPrincess

Off season goals Pages: 1 2 3

Started by danny_boy
Views: 2548 Posts: 51

2010-09-19 10:46 AM rowdypaint

Off Season Goals?

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 1143 Posts: 7

2009-09-28 10:13 PM Newbie5317

Off season goals -- Personal Trainer, Strength

Started by chicago-tri-bird
Views: 1086 Posts: 6

2007-11-19 2:28 PM chicago-tri-bird
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.