General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flying In Friday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-05 7:36 PM

Subject: Flying In Friday
Does anyone fly in Friday for their event or is that too close for comfort? It'd be the only time I could get off work.

2013-09-05 8:26 PM
in reply to: mrbeachbum2

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Flying In Friday

Originally posted by mrbeachbum2 Does anyone fly in Friday for their event or is that too close for comfort? It'd be the only time I could get off work.

Gotta think about the risks of things out of your control - like weather delays and maintenance delays (causing missed connections or cancelled flights) and risk of bike not making the flight/connection if you're flying with it. Add that to most IMs requiring a Friday athlete check in and you run a significant risk IMO.

2013-09-05 9:29 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Saturday events you need to check in by Thursday. Sunday events you need to check in by Friday.

How comfortable you are with delays or canceled flights is personal. 

For IM races checking in the first day is usually quick and second day can be much longer line.

2013-09-06 6:13 AM
in reply to: KathyG

Very true. I have a thin stomach lining for changing connections and delays. Debating if I can do IMWI 2014 and will only have Friday-Monday off. It's about a 13 hour drive. May have to drive 5-6 hours right after I get off work
2013-09-06 8:56 AM

User image

not sure your work schedule, but could you front load hours earlier in the week...like do 10 hours a couple of days during the week, to give you a bit of a buffer...not sure if ppl can or not - I know that I have an option, so to save leave, I try to build up a few extra hours of work, to give me some wiggle-room
2013-09-06 8:58 AM
in reply to: austhokie

It's a residency program where there's no budge- unless if I want to make up time after I should be complete, unfortunately.

2013-09-06 3:04 PM

User image

no day for day switches that you could do - i.e. work a saturday for someone when you are off (assuming residency means med school?) or are there legal requirements (too much time/hours/time off required)
2013-09-06 3:14 PM

User image

Woman in my IM Canada Facebook page posted Friday morning that her Air Canada flight was canceled.   She was able to rebook on another airline, and got there at 4:55, 5 minutes before it closed.  I cannot imagine the extra stress that caused.

HOWEVER, and though I wouldn't count on it, I would carry the local IM RD contact number from the website and call them if something like that happened.  I have heard of exceptions being made, but it's not always public for obvious reasons

2013-09-08 7:16 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

I had this whole thing filled out about how bad of an idea that is but then realized that it's a Sunday race

I'll tell my story anyway though: Southwest called me literally over 10 times (not joking) with status updates on how late my flights were for my return trip. Luckily my connecting flight was also delayed 4+ hours, so I didn't need to rebook but man flying adds a TON of stress on unknowns. So much so, that I decided to only do races next year that are in driving distance. Also keep in mind you need to put your bike back together, and that's no 5 minute job to make sure you need things were they need to be.

I think you'll be fine, barring any delays. Just try to arrive early in the day to check in, put bike together, etc. I did a Saturday race this year and I flew in Thursday and arrived at hotel at ~7pm (SF rush hour traffic ugg!). Got everything ready and then went to expo and mandatory race meeting the next day. I wish you luck though. I'm doing IMWI and maybe I'll see you there I think you'll be fine though. Flying back on Monday will suck though. I took a day off and did nothing but watch tv and hit the hotel hot tub the day after. I did NOT want my sore legs to be stuck on a cramped plane and I didn't want to break down my bike right after the race but it's worth it if that's what your schedule only allows.
2013-09-08 7:44 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Originally posted by Blastman I had this whole thing filled out about how bad of an idea that is but then realized that it's a Sunday race .

Problem is if it's a WTC race mandatory heck in by Friday at 5 PM< and they clearly state several places if you don't meet that deadline you don't race.   Getting in at 7 doesn't help. 

2013-09-08 8:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Eeks alright. I did a non-IM branded full and a IM branched 1/2 this year but neither had this requirement (both had day before check in + meeting). Good to know. I just looked at the IMWI 2013 guide and it has check in on Friday and then bike check and meeting on Saturday. Seems pretty inconvenient to schedule it that way but whatever. Can't change it and need to follow the rules. Risk factor is pretty high then unless you can guarantee an early flight but even then, it's cutting it close.

2013-09-08 9:47 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Originally posted by Blastman Eeks alright. I did a non-IM branded full and a IM branched 1/2 this year but neither had this requirement (both had day before check in + meeting). Good to know. I just looked at the IMWI 2013 guide and it has check in on Friday and then bike check and meeting on Saturday. Seems pretty inconvenient to schedule it that way but whatever. Can't change it and need to follow the rules. Risk factor is pretty high then unless you can guarantee an early flight but even then, it's cutting it close.

Yeah, WTC gets some flak for its 2 day before check in, perhaps guaranteeing local hotels higher occupancy (the cynic in me asks...)?   I am thinking about a quick IM weekend next year, I'd love to fly Friday but not sure I'd risk it with cancellations etc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flying In Friday Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

If flying to AZ tomorrow on AA, check your flight

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 1867 Posts: 9

2008-04-09 8:12 PM jdesrocher

Flying to IMFL

Started by triwor
Views: 978 Posts: 4

2008-04-03 1:37 PM JoshKaptur

Flying into Panama Beach - Bike issues

Started by snake111
Views: 1144 Posts: 15

2007-10-03 9:44 AM snake111

Flying to HIM - Best way to ship bike

Started by ballyard7
Views: 974 Posts: 4

2007-09-22 7:57 PM rkreuser

Guys - IM rules on "relieving on the fly"

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 2494 Posts: 21

2006-09-14 11:58 AM runnergirl29
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 11, 2012
author : VeloPress
comments : 0
Craig Alexander's New Book As the Crow Flies Tells the Inside Story of His Championship Season

date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Incline Chest Fly- Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Chest Fly - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.