General Discussion Race Reports! » Door Country Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door Country Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonShort Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
Door Country Triathlon
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 59s
Overall Rank = 124/263
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 16/31
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 5:00 am, had a fudge graham bar, some turkey sausage and some water. At the race I had a bottle of endurance formula gatorade and waited. I was hungry before my wave went off but I just dealed.
Event warmup:

I did some walking around and stretching. I got to talk to a couple BTers and Rachel Manek which was cool. Then I just waited for my wave to start. The National Anthem brought tears to my eyes. After all I had put so many hours and work and sweat into this and it was finally here. Also I jumped in the water and made my body get use to the temperature for awhile. There I met a girl and her mother who were from the Milwaukee area. She was in my wave around my number and was going to run cross country in college. We talked and went to the swim wave together. During our three minute count down we sent up cheer like three times and encouraged each other. After all we were all first timers!
Swim
  • 07m 45s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

We started in knee deep water and I didn't want to start in the front but somehow I did anyways. I wasa little off on my navigation in the beginning because I was on the outside(right) and I didn't head directly to the bouy, but when I got to the turn bouy, I started streamlining right down on the side of them, actually using people on either side of me to draft slightly. I ended up dolphin jumping the last part because it got so shallow. My legs were jello by the end, but I made it and apparently according to my parents very quickly because they couldn't make it to the transition area before I was all ready out on my bike.
I didn't realize until I got the results just how great I did on the swim!!! I was second out of the water in my wave of first timers which is awesome. That means that when I was surrounded by people they were actually from the group ahead of me. That makes anyone feel great!
What would you do differently?:

Not much. It was a great first swim and I am very happy with it. I will only get better with practice and more racing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

T1 went really well. Like I said before, my parents didn't get to even see it because I was gone by the time they got there. I had my swim cap off and my goggles too by the end of the ramp. The run from the water to my bike wasn't far at all. My legs did feel like jello but once I got up the ramp I was able to run to my bike. Like no one from my wave was there yet and I put everything on and ran with my bike, I didn't jump on as well as practiced but I did pretty well and then I was off. Okay, I couldn't believe this. I ranked 1 out of 31! OMG, that is awesome!!!!!!!!

Again, not much. The practice made a world of a difference and I can't imagine what some of the people who have never done it before were feeling like. I was very happy.
Bike
  • 37m 30s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I got out pretty fast and turned the corner out of the park. I got going really fast and realized that I was going about 18 to 20 mph in the beginning. I then started passing people and I kept doing that. My first mile was like 3 minutes and before I knew it I was still passing people and I was at the water bottle exchange. I did have a couple of people pass me but they were numbers way below mine. The turn around was tight and actually a person behind me wiped out. I had to slow down big time and then I had a headwind. But I kept on going. Traffic was a lot higher on the way back because long distance people were also in the blend. I still passed people but not as many and got passed by a lot of people but most of them were long course people which was okay. Then mile 11 comes up and I am being told to slow down and turn and then dismount. My bike computer said something like 37 minutes and seconds! Awesome! I just hammered big time! Again my bike time was awesome!

Not much! It rocked. I have never kept a pace like that. I told my rents to expect me back in like 45 minutes not under 40. Wooo hooo!!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Again this was really fast. Just long enough for my parents to move from the dismount line to the start of the run course. Again the transition area was empty around my spot. It felt so great! I ranked 14 out of 31 which is still great but I don't know unless I keep practicing how I am going to make that faster.

Again, not much. I was running and putting on my race number at the same time. I grabbed some water on the way out and that was great. It was an interesting feeling to hear the names of people crossing the finish line and knowing I still had 3.11 miles to go before that was me.
Run
  • 35m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The running was hard. Running is not my best sport at all. The first mile was really hard. I ran out on to the road and made it past the finish line chute and had to walk for a while because my breathing was too hard. I ran and walked the first mile with most being walking. By the second mile I was loosing up a bit and was able to run more. I did the whole spot something in the distance and make yourself run to it and then walk for a bit. I walked through the water station and was so glad to see the run around. The people out there were so nice and encouranging. Someone yelled across the road to me to keep it up because the finish wasn't too far away. The turn around went well and then I kept moving. Mile three was even better and actually the girl that I talked to before the race caught up to me in the last 1/2 mile or so and we shouted comments back and forth about me catching her. And then I saw my mom and dad and hear the roar of the crowd, started down the finishers chute. The announcer announced my name and I raised my hands in celebration and crossed the finish line. I did it! I was a triathlete! Okay now that I have the results, I realize just how weak my run is. I need to work on this big time which will be the focus of the fall and spring. But I still did it!

Work on my running. I still have a lot of work to go but I am encouraged that I can do it. I will only get better with more time.
Post race
Warm down:

I got my bottle of water and walked over to get my finishers medal and put it around my neck. I went to go find my mom and dad and gave them back their time chip. I got big hugs and then we headed down to the water to let my body soak a bit. We also took picture under the finishers arch. We then got some pork sandwiches and fruit, more water and talked. After a while the awards were coming up so I stretched a bit and then we walked back and got my bike and bag. I called Mike and told him. He was so happy for me. Then I watched just a little bit of the awards and headed out. It was unbelieve. The experience will be one I never forget.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I was 20lbs lighter than before I started the summer and that really helped. No shin problems and except for a few hot spots, I am just tired and a little sore but fine. Under my arms by my trisuit I have some suit burns and I need to figure out to not have those happen. Otherwise, this was an absolutely great weekend. Getting up there early and just living the race was wonderful!

Event comments:

This is a great first timer race or if you want to deal with the bluffs a great harder course. It is directed by the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon man Sean Ryan and he does a wonderful job. It was a weekend I will never forget! Now all I want is the chance to practice more and get better!

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:45 | 440 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 31/263
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: It was a simple out to the end of the pier and turn at about a 120 degree angle and head to shore. Waves were groups of about 50 starting every 3 minutes for 20 waves. I was wave 18, a first timer wave. A note though, the long course which was suppose to be double the short was cut to the short course because of the water temperature.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:30 | 11 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/31
Wind: Some
Course: There was about a 5.5 mph wind that was a tailwind on the ride out and a headwind on the way back in. It was super fast and flat which is great! It was out and back with a pretty tight turn around at the 5.75 mi mark.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:31 | 03.11 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/31
Performance: Average
Course: Again out and back on a really flat course. The turn around was in the middle of the road and there was a water station I got to hit twice which was nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Door Country Triathlon - Short Course

2006-07-24 8:10 PM
in reply to: #491842

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Door Country Triathlon - Short Course
Wow- you kicked butt for your first tri!!
Way to go!!
Just wanted to let you know it says your total race time was 8 hr 30 minutes... I think that is like 7 hours to many!!LOL
2006-07-24 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Thanks! I didn't realized that until you mentioned it that we never put in our whole time. I am SOOO happy with my performance. Thanks again!

2006-07-25 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
Congrats on your first tri and braving the water! Believe it or not, I was at Murphy Park on Saturday night and the water temp was 74.4! What a difference 12 hours makes!

See you next year!
2006-07-25 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Oh yea, you certainly will. Sorry to hear that your race didn't go well. But the nice thing about this sport is there is always the next race. Good luck with your training!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door Country Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed